OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't understand what the members were originally feeling / talking about when they stated that they were unable to [Edit] their threads and / or posts, until I became member on here and tried to [Edit] one of my old posts and couldn't.... That resulted in a Big DANG from me! Sorry about the that - But the big question is of course - WHY the Curfew ?

·
Read Only
111 Posts
That is something some folks noticed on the BB I am administrator too. Several folks were really ticked off. I have requested that this be changed to allow folks to edit their posts whenever they want. There are a few members on my site that maintain lists that they periodically update with new information. Editing the original post is critical to this.

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Initially "Unlimited [Edit] Access" was turned off to;
  • The Marketplace
  • Member's Xterra
  • How-to's
  • Xterra Projects
Members exploded / demanding access to be returned. But progress was slow and / or non-responsive, we lost numerous members as an result. I myself and several members held out with a wait-n-see attitude towards site changes. As a result access was eventually turned back on. Some members are coming back slowly, but still a lot of them out there that haven't returned.

But, I still would like to know why we all had to go through this painful event for our site members.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 + 8 other Mustangs
75 Posts
If I recall correctly, we set the controls to 1 week for regular posts and 1 month for classifieds on FordGT500.com. This seems to work well and I always let people know that I’m willing to edit anything they need... just send me a pm.

I think the controls are a good thing. If a member gets mad about something later, they may try to delete all their posts on the way out, which would leave gaps in conversations.

Time limits are good in my opinion, but what those limits are set to is debatable.

Reactions: Guest and jtech

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
If I recall correctly, we set the controls to 1 week for regular posts and 1 month for classifieds on FordGT500.com. This seems to work well and I always let people know that I’m willing to edit anything they need... just send me a pm.

I think the controls are a good thing. If a member gets mad about something later, they may try to delete all their posts on the way out, which would leave gaps in conversations.

Time limits are good in my opinion, but what those limits are set to is debatable.
I agree, for normal membership it is a must, same as you if someone wants an edit done out of time they can (and do) contact me. I think 24 hours for a normal post is adequate and one week for a classified is more than enough. I alocated classifieds to a moderator to look after.

Reactions: jtech

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 + 8 other Mustangs
75 Posts
I agree, for normal membership it is a must, same as you if someone wants an edit done out of time they can (and do) contact me. I think 24 hours for a normal post is adequate and one week for a classified is more than enough. I alocated classifieds to a moderator to look after.
We set classifieds to a month due to frequent edits to revise prices and items sold. Beyond the month either they simply reply with updates or holler at me for edits.

·
Registered
StingRayForums
12 Posts
@jtech I don’t have access to change the edit timeout. Do you?

Reactions: jtech

·
Read Only
111 Posts
@jtech I don’t have access to change the edit timeout. Do you?
I've lost all of my Admin tools since our site was upgraded.

@Goose17 mentions a member getting ticked off and deleting all of his/her posts. I would hope that Verticalscope has backups that could be restored in the even this happens.

I feel that the Admins and Mods should not be asked to edit member's posts. We have enough to do without that added responsibility.

I've had offline discussion with a few paid employees who tell me the edit time will get changed.

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also afforded persons to contact me for edits, but only one member took it, as most most members who exploded were gone.

I didn't have the ability to set time limits either, most of what I was able to on vBulletin went out the window, upon shift over to XenForo. Currently what I can do was the same for vB, but what I lost is still gone for FX. AG has stated they are working on it, but were still waiting...

Like I said we eventually got the "Unlimited [Edit] Access" to the four forums menchion in the OP and they were overjoyed about return of that. But now we're faced with a huge problem which may cause safety issues if not corrected soon. AG is working diligently to rectify the problem.

It's called "A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words". Now I'm sure you guys were hit by the "photobucket RansomWare Attack" on your site. Most of our members refused to pay the Ransom. We fought back. A small group of our members and myself were able to resurrect 5,532 photos for our threads by making them permanent albums on our site. But with the change over we lost those same photos to hundreds of threads.... Without the photos I fear that somebody may mess up their Xterra / Frontier while modding them using our How-to's and / or Xterra Projects Threads.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
We have critical threads where the original post is updated in perpetuity. A couple examples are:

The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts
Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often

Just these two threads alone represent over 3 million pageviews and are only possible because they can be constantly updated by the OP. Losing that feature would be huge.

Hopefully this is recognized as one of those variables that makes each site unique and one site can have one setting while another can have a different setting without impacting the performance of either.

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes that is the problem, we have hundreds of threads that need to be updated constantly, beyond the ones listed above. For instance there's the "Highest Mileage Thread" which I took over editing which is updated constantly - of which to menchion, I have to do today, excuse me...

·
Read Only
111 Posts
It's called "A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words". Now I'm sure you guys were hit by the "photobucket RansomWare Attack" on your site. Most of our members refused to pay the Ransom. We fought back. A small group of our members and myself were able to resurrect 5,532 photos for our threads by making them permanent albums on our site. But with the change over we lost those same photos to hundreds of threads.... Without the photos I fear that somebody may mess up their Xterra / Frontier while modding them using our How-to's and / or Xterra Projects Threads.
I am not familiar with this. When did it happen?

I wish we could block photobucket and any other image sharing site. Any photobucket images now show as blurry and has their water mark on it. From a user perspective, I would never click on one of those images as it takes time out of my life to have to do that. To put it nicely, it ruins my user experience. :cool:

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In 2017 this was the start of it;

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the internet

95% of our sites photos were hosted by photobucket and we were hit HARD !!!

All photobucket photos were covered by these;

Members response to this attack;

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
There was a photobucket fix addon by Chrome, Firefox followed later, we have many tech threads that contain PB pics, many were lost when people reacted and closed accounts, otherwise the 'fix' took care of it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey guys,
So I think @Goose17 has the right concern.... we've seen a lot of members in the past get upset (particularly around emotional events like site upgrades) and "take their ball and go home" and delete all their posts. Inevitably, a few weeks later they want them all restored, or the other users do.
In some, but very few cases, we also see unscrupulous activity, where people edit their posts on something like a Classified listing, and pretend that "it always said it was used" or something like that. Much more rare.
Bottom line is, we'd like to offer the right balance. One thing we are thinking is offering unlimited time period for editing, but limiting to a maximum of 5 posts/day, or 10 posts/week.
That would avoid the "take the ball and go home"
Optionally, we could try to build a moderator queue or something to accept/reject post deletes. Seems like a lot of work though.
What do you guys think of the limit to 5 posts/day to edit; or the mod queue to accept/reject deletion attempts?
Rob

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Honestly, in 20 years I've not had a huge amount of times where someone attempts to mass delete all their own content and in the times where it did happen, I just went in and restored it. It's built into our forum rules...

Attempts to mass-delete content may result in said content being restored.
That has turned out to be far, far less work than if I'd need to manually make edits for members who couldn't.

If a generous limit can be setup, that should work but I'd prefer it be unlimited in the meantime vs impossible.

·
Read Only
111 Posts
Hey guys,
So I think @Goose17 has the right concern.... we've seen a lot of members in the past get upset (particularly around emotional events like site upgrades) and "take their ball and go home" and delete all their posts. Inevitably, a few weeks later they want them all restored, or the other users do.
In some, but very few cases, we also see unscrupulous activity, where people edit their posts on something like a Classified listing, and pretend that "it always said it was used" or something like that. Much more rare.
Bottom line is, we'd like to offer the right balance. One thing we are thinking is offering unlimited time period for editing, but limiting to a maximum of 5 posts/day, or 10 posts/week.
That would avoid the "take the ball and go home"
Optionally, we could try to build a moderator queue or something to accept/reject post deletes. Seems like a lot of work though.
What do you guys think of the limit to 5 posts/day to edit; or the mod queue to accept/reject deletion attempts?
Rob

In vBulletin, Admins could see the history of the edits. Is that not an option in Xenforo?

Is there an option to allow some number of edits, but no deletes? Or do they both fall under the same umbrella?

I like the idea, Rob. So long as we can let users make changes to older posts, I think that would make them happy. I recommend limit it to 10 posts a week and remain open to tweaks, if needed.

I'm really flexible so long as we can give them something. This will send the message that Verticalscope is listening to the members.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
And the counter would need to be for the number of posts edited, not the overall number of edits. There's a big difference. I've seen people make 10 edits to a single post they just made that day trying to correct grammar, images, etc. That needs to be considered a single edit, not 10. In fact, if the only concern is old posts getting pulled, posts made in the last 30 days wouldn't even need to be counted.

Reactions: Old Navy
1 - 20 of 30 Posts