OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am an administrator at Electricians Talk and I was wondering if it is possible to add a forum where everyone can see but only mods can post in?

Also, being the unskilled forum guy I am I deleted the entire forum--just kidding. I did try and create a category for the forum and that work. I added a node, not knowing what the heck a node was, and I got my category. When I adding the forum for that category they disappeared from the forum list for members but still visible in the node list.

What am I doing wrong???? Please explain the process and remember I am 70 years beautiful but my brain is not so beautiful any more

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Staff
VerticalScope
624 Posts
Have you already read the admin cp faq? I can help you with this a bit later.

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course I didn't read anything...hahha I am a doing not a reader. I will take a look at it.

Reactions: TexasRoses

·
Staff
VerticalScope
624 Posts
I am working with Dennis privately as what he has in mind needs some special permissions set.

Reactions: HeyChris

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Reactions: AG Jeff and Cricket

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
That was good because I substituted Electriciantalk and I got the one I need.... I could not find the FAQ's before that. Obviously your link wouldn't work as I am not an admin here. Doh
Yeah sorry, my bad, my brain is toast today. lol

Reactions: savcom

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't see anything that indicates how to make a node read-only except for moderators and admins. You can make a sticky and close it which allow only mods and admins to make updates but that's not the same as making a node read-only. I've considered this myself but couldn't see a straight forward way of doing it.

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see anything that indicates how to make a node read-only except for moderators and admins. You can make a sticky and close it which allow only mods and admins to make updates but that's not the same as making a node read-only. I've considered this myself but couldn't see a straight forward way of doing it.

When you add a new node and select forum there is a check box that says allow new messages to be posted in this forum. I can create it and then uncheck the box. Mods can still manage it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ah, I didn’t realize moderators could still post in one like that. Learned my one thing for the day. (y)

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ah, I didn’t realize moderators could still post in one like that. Learned my one thing for the day. (y)
I assume by manage it also means being able to post.

·
Registered
Administrator Peugeotforums
45 Posts
I am working with Dennis privately as what he has in mind needs some special permissions set.
Can I please have some special permissions set....notably all the ones I lost when we changed from vBulletin :rolleyes: :)

Paul

·
Staff
VerticalScope
624 Posts
Can I please have some special permissions set....notably all the ones I lost when we changed from vBulletin :rolleyes: :)

Paul
To clarify I was not referring to the admin permissions. I was referring to special permissions for a specific forum.

- Cricket

·
Registered
ChallengerForumZ
51 Posts
I don't think you can post when the box is unchecked, at least we could not start threads or reply to a post. We had to get them to change the security for one sub forum (Forum News & Announcements) to keep the regular members from starting threads yet still allow the staff to start threads but anyone can reply to a posted thread. We kept having newbies starting threads there, now we don't have to move them.

·
Registered
Administrator Peugeotforums
45 Posts
To clarify I was not referring to the admin permissions. I was referring to special permissions for a specific forum.

- Cricket
I know Cricket....I am only teasing....:D

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think you can post when the box is unchecked, at least we could not start threads or reply to a post. We had to get them to change the security for one sub forum (Forum News & Announcements) to keep the regular members from starting threads yet still allow the staff to start threads but anyone can reply to a posted thread. We kept having newbies starting threads there, now we don't have to move them.

Couldn't I just keep them unchecked and check them when I want to add something? These will be sub forums so I only would have to check the Category box when I wanted to add something.

It would be better if permission for that forum were done so that all the mods could do it not just myself.... We'll see how it goes and thanks for the info

·
Registered
ChallengerForumZ
51 Posts
Couldn't I just keep them unchecked and check them when I want to add something? These will be sub forums so I only would have to check the Category box when I wanted to add something.

It would be better if permission for that forum were done so that all the mods could do it not just myself.... We'll see how it goes and thanks for the info
Yep, you can do that it's just a pain every time you want to change something. We've done it for some old sub forums we want to keep but did not want anyone posting in (newbies posting in wrong place & having to move).

·
Registered
537 Posts
So are you saying if I leave this box unchecked that even though it says moderators can post but no one else can, it doesn't work, only the admin can?
Allow new messages to be posted in this forum
If disabled, users will not be able to post new messages or edit or delete their own messages. Moderators will still be able to manage the contents of this forum.
Or are we talking two different areas?

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So are you saying if I leave this box unchecked that even though it says moderators can post but no one else can, it doesn't work, only the admin can?

Or are we talking two different areas?

JKelly16 is correct, if you uncheck that particular box then mods cannot post in it either. You really have to get permission set by the higher ups...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts