OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a thread on it here but will start again, when we went to XF almost 10 months ago we lost all our Admin rites for months and had no forewarning of this, then had to fight hard to get any back, we have been slowly getting more back but the war cry from VS has always been Privacy Regulations, we heard that for a long time on many things even into coming here, but some of those things have miraculously overcome the Privacy rule.

So too the punch line! Yesterday I received a PM from a long term member asking me to change his email address (in the past I have done this many times and I'm still alive and not in goal), discussions being a long time ago and remembering I can see their email I went in and bugga, I can't change it, I ask if I'm missing something, to be told no you can't do it, my reply was something along these lines:

I remember this type of thing being heatedly discussed well before I was asked to join Alpha, and I remember saying this was an insult to our intelligence and our integrity, we are also considered 'Staff". I am the lead Admin for p4x4, I had rites far and away above the other P4x4 admins (think I may still in some areas) exactly for reasons like this. How about VS gets its act together and follows up on this type of thing. At least one admin from any goddam forum should be able to do stuff like this without running cap in hand to you guys.

I posted this in a thread 4 months ago and where have we gone from there;

I have also said you guys may own the forums but it was us who built them into what they are today. Because of XF we are still recovering from people walking away in disgust, some have been returning in recent months, yes we have come a long way with a lot of hard work and thought by many. I can assure you it is local Admins they trust, not VS, you only own it.
Please get this sorted for all our benefits, this is just pure BS, no such privacy concerns here and that excuse has been used before and backed away from later, I'm as passionate about this as I am about premium.
Ross

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
373 Posts
Yep, this brings back memories of the good old days when you could run your site without restrictions and have no problems / issues in doing so. And yes we have come a long way, but there is still a long way to go and because of this I'm getting a real sore head from daily banging it against that wall... !

·
Registered
Hardcoresledder
225 Posts
This is a 'beef' everywhere VS has upgraded. A fix should happen. Super Mod Super Admin whatever it should be. I still believe in the "trusted" Admin idea i came up with previously. There should be someone on each site that can do the sensitive items on the VS list.

Steve not an admin anywhere and don't need to be one as we have some great ones who WANT to do the job.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heya all,

Gonna have a conversation on this one with @Product and get back to you guys as we review the Admin permissions.

Jeff M
This needs to go to the top of the tree. I'm P'd off by this and it sounds like others are also, as said in OP for me it has 10 months of trying to get back the rites we had before XF came along, I'm 74, if it takes any friggin longer I could be dead and never see it. I sometimes wonder whether VS would like to get rid of us all together at the end of the day?

This is a 'beef' everywhere VS has upgraded. A fix should happen. Super Mod Super Admin whatever it should be. I still believe in the "trusted" Admin idea i came up with previously. There should be someone on each site that can do the sensitive items on the VS list.

Steve not an admin anywhere and don't need to be one as we have some great ones who WANT to do the job.
Yes and it should happen yesterday to re establish trust between us and VS. I know if a poll was to go up on P4x4 asking who they trusted, me or VS, I know what the result would be.

Yep, this brings back memories of the good old days when you could run your site without restrictions and have no problems / issues in doing so. And yes we have come a long way, but there is still a long way to go and because of this I'm getting a real sore head from daily banging it against that wall... !
You and me both man, you and me both!

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
@Ross Wittig

I know you have spoken up before about Username Edit and User Email Edit, what other permissions so you specifically need so I can share with the team?

Just trying to get a full listing to run up the chain for you guys.

Jeff M

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
373 Posts
To start with, basically everything we lost when you replaced vB...

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
To start with, basically everything we lost when you replaced vB...
That does not help, we need to know which specific ones you need.

Jeff M

Reactions: Old Navy

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
It's best to keep a running list going as you encounter things in real time like:

"A user asked how many images/links/characters/etc are allowed in a single post & I couldn't answer because those settings are hidden to me".
"I can't tell what image types and size limits are allowed because those settings are hidden to me".

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Ross Wittig

I know you have spoken up before about Username Edit and User Email Edit, what other permissions so you specifically need so I can share with the team?

Just trying to get a full listing to run up the chain for you guys.

Jeff M
Those two would be fine for the moment and I feel should be acted on ASAP, I have a rather convoluted situation with a member at the moment who forgot his password to an earlier username quite a while ago and started a new one, now he wants to change his email to what he had on the old one but you can't have the same email for two identities, before XF I could have fixed this up in 10 seconds flat and I did many along these lines, now I can't, this sort of BS is what annoys the crap out of previously trusted, hard working volunteer forum admins who are trying their hardest to keep their piece of turf viable, this is just one example.

Another two,
1. When viewing Premium Members you cannot see a start or end date on the main page listing, you need to go into each name then extras, but most don't show the start or end date anyway, this is handy for us to know who is and who isn't, BTW, I think the listing is out of date in some cases.

2. When I go into logs I can see Moderator log, I am an admin but I cannot see admin log.

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
373 Posts
What I hate is I'm an Admin and we have both an Admin and a Super Moderator Forum, what happens in these forums are privilege information, but if I post in either of these forums, VS moves these posts to the Community Forum. Now as an Admin there are things that I don't want my regular members to be a party of. Some of my posts end up stirring up the "Hate / Discontent Pot" against VS, which I can do without on my site.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I hate is I'm an Admin and we have both an Admin and a Super Moderator Forum, what happens in these forums are privilege information, but if I post in either of these forums, VS moves these posts to the Community Forum. Now as an Admin there are things that I don't want my regular members to be a party of. Some of my posts end up stirring up the "Hate / Discontent Pot" against VS, which I can do without on my site.
Whoa, something weird there mate, we have our Area 51 where we discuss sensitive things sometimes but it never gets out of there.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts

@Old Navy

Where did this happen? We normally never move Mod/Admin threads to the community section unless it was done in error.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
Those two would be fine for the moment and I feel should be acted on ASAP, I have a rather convoluted situation with a member at the moment who forgot his password to an earlier username quite a while ago and started a new one, now he wants to change his email to what he had on the old one but you can't have the same email for two identities, before XF I could have fixed this up in 10 seconds flat and I did many along these lines, now I can't, this sort of BS is what annoys the crap out of previously trusted, hard working volunteer forum admins who are trying their hardest to keep their piece of turf viable, this is just one example.

Another two,
1. When viewing Premium Members you cannot see a start or end date on the main page listing, you need to go into each name then extras, but most don't show the start or end date anyway, this is handy for us to know who is and who isn't, BTW, I think the listing is out of date in some cases.

2. When I go into logs I can see Moderator log, I am an admin but I cannot see admin log.
10-4,

Yeah our Contact Us team has been receiving and handling these by updating the email address to the non wanted account and then emerging them together.

1. This info could not show depending on if they were grandfathered over, gifted/purchased a lifetime for ROTM or a contest or signed up under the new system.

2. The Admin logs are controlled by the "Super Admin" account I believe. What info would you need to see there?

Jeff M

Reactions: Freewill

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
10-4,

Yeah our Contact Us team has been receiving and handling these by updating the email address to the non wanted account and then emerging them together.

1. This info could not show depending on if they were grandfathered over, gifted/purchased a lifetime for ROTM or a contest or signed up under the new system.

2. The Admin logs are controlled by the "Super Admin" account I believe. What info would you need to see there?

Jeff M
Your contact us team really has no need to do this, especially for smaller close knit sites, I had been doing this for eons with no worries or concerns, as it turned out I found a back door method and sorted it but could have been a lot simpler if I'd had email access like I have in the past. Privacy??? Sounds like an excuse to me, as I've indicated many many times, if VS don't trust me then stop calling me staff and/or sack me.

My title is Admin, the title in logs says Admin Logs so I thought why can't I see them, I know I show up in Moderator Logs, but as said I'm Admin. So please let me in on what a Super Admin is and what function they serve?

Re premium, so what your saying is that if they were granfathered over their start and end date will not show, but if they joined post XF then the dates will show?

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
Your contact us team really has no need to do this, especially for smaller close knit sites, I had been doing this for eons with no worries or concerns, as it turned out I found a back door method and sorted it but could have been a lot simpler if I'd had email access like I have in the past. Privacy??? Sounds like an excuse to me, as I've indicated many many times, if VS don't trust me then stop calling me staff and/or sack me.

My title is Admin, the title in logs says Admin Logs so I thought why can't I see them, I know I show up in Moderator Logs, but as said I'm Admin. So please let me in on what a Super Admin is and what function they serve?

Re premium, so what your saying is that if they were granfathered over their start and end date will not show, but if they joined post XF then the dates will show?
10-4,

Super Admins are our internal accounts that have full Admin access for developers and all updates etc.

The dates should show in either of the above examples if they were gifted a Lifetime or Yearly through ROTM or another contest it might not show the dates.

Jeff M

Reactions: Freewill

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
10-4,

Super Admins are our internal accounts that have full Admin access for developers and all updates etc.

The dates should show in either of the above examples if they were gifted a Lifetime or Yearly through ROTM or another contest it might not show the dates.

Jeff M
Point 1. Cool that explains that, makes me think techs should be able to switch things on and off between the levels, that should make it easy to give us back our old rites????????????? Maybe you need to add another log title
Mod log
Admin log
Super Admin log

Point 2. Neither of the first two were gifted, both annual premium and the lower one should be running out soon, this was why I was checking the values. The vast majority of annual premium do not have a start and end date (BTW in lifetime premium, start and end date data appears to be random, some do and some don't, but I'll be dead when they run out). Of the 20 annual premium members only 3 were gifted (ex mods) so that would mean 17 should show, out of that 17 only 6 show start and end dates.
What am I missing? On another tack, when does an expired annual premium disappear from the log?

Even VS own test doesn't have a start and end date lololol.

·
Registered
SkyscraperCity Administrator
610 Posts
It would be nice to be able to edit the "Custom User Title" as well.
This is neither possible via the front end nor the admin's end.
Up to now we only can edit the "User Title".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts