• B.2 - Magnifying glass with Plus

Votes: 2 33.3%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Asteroid Lloyd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
My name is Lloyd and I'm a product designer here at VerticalScope.
I've been working on the Advanced Search design and thought I would get your feedback as to which button icon is the clearest to you.

The option is between B.1 and B.2. as seen in the image above. Which option do you like best and why? I'm looking forward to your response.

Lloyd

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
I think we're trained to look for a magnifying glass when we want to run a search but I could see the B1 icon if we're already on a dedicated search page.

Reactions: Lloyd_VS

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
I think we're trained to look for a magnifying glass when we want to run a search but I could see the B1 icon if we're already on a dedicated search page.
Agree, a magnifying glass is self explanatory. I'm going to be difficult here and say of the two on offer, the 'plus' icon appeals to me as intuitive.

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
375 Posts
I also perfier the Magnifying Glass w/o 'plus' indicator, but located on the far right side of search info entry port.

BUG Magnifying Glass icon for myself does not work for this or my site when clicked on after entering search info. All it does is change the background color to light gray. To get it to work, I have to move my cursor to the end of search entry and click on [Enter].

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
BUG Magnifying Glass icon for myself does not work for this or my site when clicked on after entering search info. All it does is change the background color to light gray. To get it to work, I have to move my cursor to the end of search entry and click on [Enter].
This is more of a design thing and that is why we are working on the above to make Search a little more user-friendly.

Jeff M

·
Asteroid Lloyd
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey guys, Thanks for the feedback!

I wanted to give you some context around the decision to update the 'Advanced search icon'. The current irritation of the search design features the 'Advanced search' button at the bottom of the dropdown. The reason we're looking at updating the icon is to draw a distinction between the 'search buttons' at the top of the search results and 'advanced search' at the bottom of the search results. See image below:

I agree with @Ross Wittig in saying that the 'plus' alludes to an advanced search but is it clear when compared to the search buttons?
I think that separating the 'search' and 'advanced search' icons might be clearer. Thoughts?

I'm going to refresh the votes so that we can feedback on this update! Thanks for taking the time to give your opinions! Appreciate it!

Lloyd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts