OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Staff
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sky Astronomical object Font Jewellery Circle

We are excited to introduce a new method of signing up/logging in with Apple Login.
Following the success of Google One Tap and the increase in members to our forums, we're looking to enable Apple login as a quick and easy way to sign up for iOS users.

For this first iteration, a button to prompt Apple login has been integrated in the Log In, Register and Join the Discussion windows.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

Rectangle Automotive exterior Font Screenshot Electronic device

Communication Device Rectangle Automotive lighting Font Magenta

Once selected, a user or guest will be redirected to the Apple sign in portal where they can securely complete their sign in.
Product Azure Operating system Rectangle Font

If it's a user's first time creating an account with their Apple ID, they will then be redirected to pick a user name and agree to the Terms of Service.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Software

To try out the functionality yourselves, we will be enabling it on focusrsclub.com today. I'll respond on this thread once it is live.

We are also aiming to launch to our pilot sites below tomorrow, June 2nd.
onefora.com
gamingfora.com
2coolfishing.com
avsforum.com
dootalk.com
morels.com
watchuseek.com
guitars101.com
archerytalk.com

Will keep everyone posted on progress with the target dates. As always, please let us know if you have any questions or feedback!

·
Registered
SIGTalk & Others
391 Posts
Hopefully the folks with Apple ID will participate in the forums - unlike 99% of the Google One Tap registrants. I guess more eyes the more $$$ are raked in from advertising, but without growing activity on the forum the forum eventually dies.

·
Registered
Escape City
159 Posts
Silly question. Is Apple Login available for those of us who are already members or will that muck up things? Granted, Escape City isn't on your sites where Apple Login is utilized yet.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Um, Apple INVENTED the one tap login. Its revolutionary.
They also invented reducing battery life for older devices without owners consent, or knowledge.
I used to be a big fan, but that and other issues has lessened my liking for their core business.

I agree with the concerns above.

More than one account generated.
Participation.

G1T most active users have by far been members with duplicate accounts and were active on old (normal) account.

I support trying to engage a wider audience, but does not mean that I have not got concerns.

Thanks for heads up @Tharshika G (y)

·
Administrator
The Forum Whisperer
854 Posts
Silly question. Is Apple Login available for those of us who are already members or will that muck up things? Granted, Escape City isn't on your sites where Apple Login is utilized yet.
You will create a duplicate account. Just like you would if you used Google One Tap.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum + several others
2,932 Posts
Existing members are supposed to utilize the hard-to-find Connected Accounts option.

• Haha
Reactions: AG Jeff and Avel Du

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Existing members are supposed to utilize the hard-to-find Connected Accounts option.
Not that hard but in any case for those who don't know where to look, go into edit and "extra" where you can see where they came from (initially at least). This is for a brand new member who signed up through FB
Font Multimedia Screenshot Software Web page

@Mike Lang , can you post a pic of what a member might see?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Account settings:

Font Parallel Magenta Screenshot Number

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

Presumably there will be an additional Apple setting once it branches out.

Can't say what happens though. ie does it merge whatever into original, FB, G1T or FB.

G&T needed.

• Haha
Reactions: LeonardoDaBenz

·
Staff
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should be able to go through Connected Accounts as mentioned here to link it to your existing account.

Folks I apologize in our attempt to roll this out to our first pilot site we ran into some bugs which we are working through 😓 I'll keep you posted with new target dates.

·
Registered
Escape City
159 Posts
You should be able to go through Connected Accounts as mentioned here to link it to your existing account.

Folks I apologize in our attempt to roll this out to our first pilot site we ran into some bugs which we are working through 😓 I'll keep you posted with new target dates.
@Tharshika G , no worries on my end. I was just curious.

·
Senior Community Manager
VerticalScope
1,479 Posts

·
Administrator
2,932 Posts
Maybe once it is all settled I should add an FAQ regarding this for our existing members.
It needs to be spelled out & luddite-proof on the join/login screen itself or they'll never see/read it.

·
Administrator
2,932 Posts
The "Continue with" options on the Log In side adds to the confusion.

Existing members think they're logging into their existing account using those options.

Nowhere does this screen explain this is only for those who've already associated their accounts with these services.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue

1 - 20 of 45 Posts