OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

We have worked to update our Warning Point System to respect specific Warning Actions triggered from these points.

UPDATE: This will be rolling out in one of the next few releases.
  • 10 points or more will generate a 3 day suspension
  • 15 points or more will make a 7 day suspension
  • 30 points or more will be a 14 day ban
  • 100 points or more is a permanent ban.
Please ensure you issue points with consideration that matches the weight of a user’s offense against the action that will be taken against them.

We will be providing a ban chart in our FAQ as a means to provide some insight in our suggestions on typical offenses made by members. The point designation and title are each built out with automatic warning messages and actions as indicated.

In cases of extreme violations, such as blatant spamming or willful and hateful harassment, please do not feel like this is required for actions, but instead treat them as minimum expected actions that we would take.

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

These will not overwrite or stand in the way of any custom values you may have set, but will work in addition to what you’ve already established. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions or concerns about the recommendations below.

Thanks,
Gerrit
-Your Community Support Team

·
Registered
SkyscraperCity Administrator
734 Posts
What about the following points:
  • a (temporary) ban must be listed in the user profiles as well like warnings already are
  • a (temporary) ban must have a notes field like the the warnings already have to be able to show other staff members and/or VerticalScope why the user was warned/(temporary) banned
  • for staff members who do not like their profile linked with a conversation if a conversation was started there could be a standard account which could be linked to the super moderators/administrators (in my opinion every staff member should be able to handle a banned member and his reactions if a conversation was started; so this point is not a must-have for me)

·
Administrator
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has the bug been fixed where issuing a warning does not alert the user?
I'll have to wait for confirmation, as I know this was part of the resolution, but I won't know until testing can be done tomorrow. I'll follow up once I can say either way.

What about the following points:
  • a (temporary) ban must be listed in the user profiles as well like warnings already are
  • a (temporary) ban must have a notes field like the the warnings already have to be able to show other staff members and/or VerticalScope why the user was warned/(temporary) banned
  • for staff members who do not like their profile linked with a conversation if a conversation was started there could be a standard account which could be linked to the super moderators/administrators (in my opinion every staff member should be able to handle a banned member and his reactions if a conversation was started; so this point is not a must-have for me)
The Warning history should be respected and should be displayed to be pulled up. As for the linked conversation, that is something that could not be implemented with this as it would need to be linked to an account, and there is no current way to assign it to all members of certain rank.

This update revolves more on assisting more junior, or less established teams on a means to know permissible actions they can take, as well as a useful tool for y'all to work to train up any new members of your teams on the cases they may be exposed. Future expansions on this warning system are still ongoing, but for now this branch of the task was a way to establish ways in which we could build out the additional functionality required.

Hope I've covered both adequately, but I'd be happy to expand on the conversation here or in PMs if you have more specific requests here.

Cheers,
Gerrit
Your Community Support Team

·
Registered
DieselPlace
1,228 Posts
These will not overwrite or stand in the way of any custom values you may have set, but will work in addition to what you’ve already established. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions or concerns about the recommendations below.
Will there be a disclaimer listed in the FAQ stating this?
Otherwise, members who are issued warnings on a site that has custom values set can use this as a basis for argument

·
Registered
SLKWorld and CX30talk
125 Posts
I may be being a bit naïve here, but a question that comes to mind for bans etc:
How does the banned member know why and how long they've been banned for - temporarily or permanently - if they can't access the forum to read their messages? You only get a small fraction of a conversation's content in the alerting email.

·
Registered
UberPeople
249 Posts
We will be providing a ban chart in our FAQ as a means to provide some insight in our suggestions on typical offenses made by members. The point designation and title are each built out with automatic warning messages and actions as indicated.

Thanks,
I'm confused about these statements.

If it's presented in the FAQs for our members then doesn't that mean we have to follow what's presented to them and therefore it automatically overrides anything we already have in place?

·
Registered
DieselPlace
1,228 Posts
I may be being a bit naïve here, but a question that comes to mind for bans etc:
How does the banned member know why and how long they've been banned for - temporarily or permanently - if they can't access the forum to read their messages? You only get a small fraction of a conversation's content in the alerting email.
There is an option of starting a conversation with the member. In that conversation, the notice of ban is there and you can discuss in length with the member

·
Registered
571 Posts
There is an option of starting a conversation with the member. In that conversation, the notice of ban is there and you can discuss in length with the member
Banned member cannot access conversations.

We use a generic email as a follow up should the ban be a discussable topic. We add that to ban reason, which they do see.

·
Administrator
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will there be a disclaimer listed in the FAQ stating this?
Otherwise, members who are issued warnings on a site that has custom values set can use this as a basis for argument
This will be in the FAQ, but much like how there is an Admin CP section of the FAQ only visible to those with Admin abilities, this will be part of the Mod FAQ. Only members with Mod abilities or higher will see it.

When members receive warnings, mods can post warning messages along with the warning points. It is not perfect and sometimes errors occur, but we're looking to iron that out. We're also looking on prompting auto messages based on the pre selected faults in the table.

I'm confused about these statements.

If it's presented in the FAQs for our members then doesn't that mean we have to follow what's presented to them and therefore it automatically overrides anything we already have in place?
Yes, that is my fault for not specifying that it is in the Mod FAQ, visible only to mods. I would hate to empower any Rules Lawyers in any community to begin to nag about standardization for rule enforcement, when we would rather trust your judgement on when cases are more than they appear.

Only mods and admins will be able to see this chart.

We've seen reports of this not functioning perfect everywhere, may be hiccups, may be a larger issue for some communities, I err on the side of caution, but yes ideally warnings are accompanied with a message so we can best coach out members.

Any chance of allowing the SuperMods to see ban history on a user? Currently this is admin only and lets face it, the mods do more work in some places. Having this tool would help them make better decisions regarding member actions.
I'd suggest throwing this in Feature Requests so @AG Jeff can track and begin working out details of how this would function and what it would look like.

Banned member cannot access conversations.

We use a generic email as a follow up should the ban be a discussable topic. We add that to ban reason, which they do see.
That is why we worked to add this system on top of your structure, you will still be able to conduct your business as always, but with additional tools to use against members who misbehave.

And once a member IS banned, starting a discussion is impossible for anyone (inc site staff) till the ban is lifted or expires.
We hope that banned members don't get additional warnings, but banned members will be able to see ban reason and duration, so those are always important to fill out.

I have issued warnings, that because of points turned into a temp/perm. ban when issued and have started conversations with those members
If it is more comfortable, you can just ban instead of assigning the points that would ban them. As noted in the image, most warnings are set to expire in 30 days of assignment, so the record of the points will only serve to help track the trolls that like a slow burn, or it works to help mods less confident on when to pull the trigger on banning. There is a lot of possible application here. I can't tell you in all the ways to use this tool, or if it is going to be universally applicable, but hopefully we can give you more tools to make life easier.

Sorry for the long post, wanted to address everyone and I am a fan of a multi quote.

-Gerrit

·
Registered
644 Posts
We hope that banned members don't get additional warnings, but banned members will be able to see ban reason and duration, so those are always important to fill out.

-Gerrit
That wasn't the issue. Reason should always be given AND they will see the time period and reason when trying to re-enter the forum. It's trying to start a conv with a banned member that is not possible till the ban is lifted/expired for other members or staff. No one can if the target is banned. VS may be able to (and admin in the forum by accessing banned members email).

·
Registered
DieselPlace
1,228 Posts
This will be in the FAQ, but much like how there is an Admin CP section of the FAQ only visible to those with Admin abilities, this will be part of the Mod FAQ. Only members with Mod abilities or higher will see it.
Our custom warnings and points baselines are in public view, to be open and fair with our members.
You can view them here: https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/warnings-and-points.393235/unread

If VS is adding a baseline to the system it should be noted in a disclaimer that is viewable by members/guests to cover the exclusions of any custom site rules in place
Otherwise, this would be a point of argument by a member against any custom rules set in place by the community.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
2,173 Posts
We've never posted warnings/points details publicly because users can then skirt the gray areas and use it as an arguing point but I suppose a site could choose to do so on their own as long as they're not suggesting all sites should follow their lead.

One site could post the chart in a rules area without it being forced on every other community.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts