OneFora banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I miss more than anything is the canned responses. Is there anyway that can be brought back to life? In the meantime I have created some workaround using autohotkey but I am pretty green with that software.

Please don't get the feeling I am not a happy camper. I like the new software but I feel there are a few areas where it could be better.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,534 Posts
@Dennis Alwon

Can I get some more details on what you are looking for?

Do you mean "New Member Weclome Private Message" with important links, FAQ, rules, etc?

Jeff

·
Staff
VerticalScope
612 Posts
@Dennis Alwon

Can I get some more details on what you are looking for?

Do you mean "New Member Weclome Private Message" with important links, FAQ, rules, etc?

Jeff
Jeff, we had this on our PRO sites. You could write out the text you wanted to use and save it as auto text as needed. Similar to templates in Gmail or AText.

- Cricket

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a canned response for diyer that is 3 or 4 lines long and all I had to do was hit the down arrow located at the top of the post and I could choose from many canned responses. They would have a title and the post would appear in the post

Reactions: Cricket

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had canned response for about 8 posts that I would otherwise have to write out many times. There are certain electrical questions that would come up regularly so I wouldn't have to write it out every time

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,534 Posts
Gotcha,

Unfortunately no longer an option at this time.

I use a word doc with commons replies that I can copy and paste when working on some communities.

You could give aText a try also:

Jeff

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears atext won't work it is for a mac... It has to work on the forum. Autohotkeys is what I have had to use. AutoHotkey
I type this "diypost" and I get the quote below
I made it work but I think I did some workarounds because I couldn't figure some things out.

"Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area. If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs. Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/ We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed."

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think I've asked for the same thing as a future enhancement but not sure I did it here or on my site. But it's much needed anyway. Or in some magic way allow something similar with XenForo. Some external tool that we could link to that would accomplish the same goal. And I know y'all use external things running in the background. We just need one that we can get to. ;)

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I've asked for the same thing as a future enhancement but not sure I did it here or on my site. But it's much needed anyway. Or in some magic way allow something similar with XenForo. Some external tool that we could link to that would accomplish the same goal. And I know y'all use external things running in the background. We just need one that we can get to. ;)
That's why I use autohotkeys--it's free but if you are not program savvy like myself(not savvy) then it is a bit tricky. Once I figured it out it wasn't so bad. You just have to remember the hotkey code that you are using.

·
Registered
537 Posts
That's why I use autohotkeys--it's free but if you are not program savvy like myself(not savvy) then it is a bit tricky. Once I figured it out it wasn't so bad. You just have to remember the hotkey code that you are using.
That’s probably a good solution for Windows but I’m stuck with a Mac. They think differently there. :rolleyes:

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just found an ATEXT for windows--free

I'll see if it is easier than ahk. Thanks

Reactions: blasirl and AG Jeff

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, aText is much easier than auto hotkey..... and it does enough for my needs...I assume when you reboot those abbreviations will automatically start.

Reactions: AG Jeff and Cricket

·
Registered
SLKWorld and CX30talk
124 Posts
It's a bit slower than the methods discussed above, but we have template threads for greetings / PMs to new members or to members who need some help. Saves a lot of time, but obviously not as much as a dropdown would.

Reactions: Porky

·
Staff
VerticalScope
612 Posts
It's a bit slower than the methods discussed above, but we have template threads for greetings / PMs to new members or to members who need some help. Saves a lot of time, but obviously not as much as a dropdown would.
I take advantage of bookmarks with this method.

How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts

This is a great option for those times when you want to save a thread to come back to later. At the bottom of the post, you will see “save”. Click on it.

Once you click on it you can add any notes to remind yourself and then simply click to save.

When you are ready to find the saved bookmarks again later, from the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “bookmarks”.

·
Registered
CruzeTalk
98 Posts
I take advantage of bookmarks with this method.

How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts

This is a great option for those times when you want to save a thread to come back to later. At the bottom of the post, you will see “save”. Click on it.

Once you click on it you can add any notes to remind yourself and then simply click to save.

When you are ready to find the saved bookmarks again later, from the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “bookmarks”.

I have been doing that as a work around myself. I have over 35 pages of book marks so it is also getting a bit unwieldy though. To go back and try and clean up how I tagged them is too much.

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't believe we don't have this built in. It is called editor's template. Another forum I visit uses xenforo and it has this editor template. It is nice because there is a pull down menu with all your canned responses.

Reactions: DIYASUB and blasirl

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can't believe we don't have this built in. It is called editor's template. Another forum I visit uses xenforo and it has this editor template. It is nice because there is a pull down menu with all your canned responses.
I don't recall ever sending a personal welcoming message to a new member, that's what we have a Welcome Forum for, but I could see where this editor's template thingy could be useful. Yeah, I like it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts