OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Staff
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Update: Card View has moved out of Beta and is now launched globally as the default view on January 6th. Card View brings framed content with a card-like appearance. This change introduced our new spacing and typography guide.

Original Post: You probably noticed, we just rolled out the new Card View on OneFora! Some of you probably remember the preview thread we posted a while ago.

Here are some quick notes
  • This update aims at
    • Fixing the white spacing issue,
    • Bringing more focus on the core content of the page
    • Providing a better, clean visual experience
  • It's still in the beta phase, the new look currently only covers the main pages of the site, including
    • Homepage
    • Full Forum Listing
    • Sub-forum
    • Thread and Article
    • What's New page
    • Search Result
  • It supports Dark and Light Mode, and covers mobile and desktop.
  • Previous Mode (Comfort mode)
    • If you prefer the old mode (which we are now referring as Comfort Mode), you can do so through the menu at the upper right corner.
  • Release Plan [Update]
    • Oct 23ed - Live on OneFora
    • Early Nov - Beta roll out on six sites
    • Mid Nov - Full rollout network-wide
  • Release Plan
    • This won't go live on other production sites yet, we are just testing on OneFora (labs) for now.
    • We are planning to rollout to a few sites first, before global rollout. Once the plan is firm, we'll make sure to communicate with everyone.

We have been working on this for a while, and we are very excited about this update. Explore around, leave a reply and let us know what you think!

·
Staff
VerticalScope
584 Posts
I would love to have the ability to post some sort of professional response here but the truth is, I am so excited I am dancing here!

·
Registered
VerticalScope
102 Posts
Release Plan Update
  • Oct 23ed - Live on OneFora
  • Early Nov - Beta roll out on six sites
  • Mid Nov - Full rollout network-wide
Next Steps

There are a few lingering bugs right now that we are working on squishing before the beta to six sites. (Please report anything you see!)
Once we launch the beta we will be doing final polish and refinement before the whole network gets it.

We are super excited to show this off to you, go click around, any feedback is welcome!!

·
Staff
VerticalScope
584 Posts
This is such a huge win for our members!

Thank you for working so hard to make it happen. :D

·
Registered
SkyscraperCity Administrator
612 Posts
We are super excited to show this off to you, go click around, any feedback is welcome!!
I do not know if this will fit here but I think it could be done all together.

On vBulletin the threads being sticky were displayed on all pages of a sub-forum.
On XenForo the threads being sticky are only displayed on the first page of a sub-forum.
Navigating is much easier to have them all on all pages.

In my main forum Hamburg I have a the HAMBURG | NAVIGATION - HILFE - ÜBERSICHT | GUIDE - HELP - OVERVIEW thread.
If you are on page 4 of this sub-forum and you like to find a specific thread in the Hamburg forum of which you do not know the link or on which of the 5 pages of that sub-forum it is located you have to move to the first page 1st, click on the HAMBURG | NAVIGATION - HILFE - ÜBERSICHT | GUIDE - HELP - OVERVIEW thread 2nd and finding/selecting the thread you like to view 3rd.
Having all sticky threads on all pages would save the 1st step.

·
Registered
SkyscraperCity Administrator
612 Posts
Perhaps this is one of the things on your list you need to squish before rolling out the Card View.

The edges in the top left and right corners of the reply field are cornered and not chubby as the edges of all other blocks above.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
I do not know if this will fit here but I think it could be done all together.

On vBulletin the threads being sticky were displayed on all pages of a sub-forum.
On XenForo the threads being sticky are only displayed on the first page of a sub-forum.
Navigating is much easier to have them all on all pages.

In my main forum Hamburg I have a the HAMBURG | NAVIGATION - HILFE - ÜBERSICHT | GUIDE - HELP - OVERVIEW thread.
If you are on page 4 of this sub-forum and you like to find a specific thread in the Hamburg forum of which you do not know the link or on which of the 5 pages of that sub-forum it is located you have to move to the first page 1st, click on the HAMBURG | NAVIGATION - HILFE - ÜBERSICHT | GUIDE - HELP - OVERVIEW thread 2nd and finding/selecting the thread you like to view 3rd.
Having all sticky threads on all pages would save the 1st step.
Please don't do this. Just showing sticky topics on the first page is enough, seeing it on every page is more annoying than it is helpful, especially for experiences users.
@UNIT-er we agree with @Jan comments on this and will not be serving sticky at the top of each page.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
Perhaps this is one of the things on your list you need to squish before rolling out the Card View.

The edges in the top left and right corners of the reply field are cornered and not chubby as the edges of all other blocks above.
I am not sure if this is by design but will tag in @mike.shoss on this one as they are still working on some tweaks.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
Reactions: HeyChris

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,869 Posts
I don't know if it counts as a bug but it's at least an inconsistency that while looking at threads in card view on an iPhone while scrolling, the page will also accidentally scroll horizontally as if there is much more width to the page than there really is. It bounces back if you lift your finger but there's no reason for the only content on the page to fall off just because your finger is not scrolling perfectly vertical. This doesn't happen on comfort mode.

Example:

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
I don't know if it counts as a bug but it's at least an inconsistency that while looking at threads in card view on an iPhone while scrolling, the page will also accidentally scroll horizontally as if there is much more width to the page than there really is. It bounces back if you lift your finger but there's no reason for the only content on the page to fall off just because your finger is not scrolling perfectly vertical. This doesn't happen on comfort mode.

Example:

View attachment 5256
What iPhone model and looks like safari right?

Jeff M

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,869 Posts
10-4, thanks.

It is on the radar for a deeper dive.

Jeff M
Or we sell it as a forward thinking, intuitive way to allow iPhone users in landscape mode to steer the page around the iPhone notch. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: AG Jeff
1 - 20 of 60 Posts