OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Administrator
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listingmock2.jpg

For years we have wanted to build out classified listings within our communities. We are now at a point where we would like to gather feedback from the community about what you would be looking for.

Help us get into the minds of users within your communities. Here are some questions to help get us started:
  • What would make a great experience for both buyers and sellers?
  • What type of items do you see users trading within your community?
  • What type of marketplace have you used before and enjoyed?
  • What rules would you want to see tied to classifieds?
  • How do you feel about a classified node?
  • What concerns do you have around SPAM?
  • Should classified listings be placed into any forum?
  • How important is buyer and seller reputation in classifieds?
  • Should a member be able to list any item or just specific items relevant to your community?

·
Registered
DieselPlace
538 Posts
Our Community currently runs a classified section ( node).
The early days saw some problems with a few spammers/cheats.

Today, things run smoothly. Members communicate well with each other and we've had no issues Since about 2011.
Member's who wish to post/list in the classified section must have a minimum of 30 days membership in the forums and created 25 posts in the technical section to qualify.
This helps get new members acquainted with other members and helps them be familiar with the forum before they can post in the classified section.. and helps to stop unwanted spam and 1 hit posters selling everything from A-Z.

Items must list an asking price and list if shipping/local pickup, etc..
Member's list mostly GM related accessories/parts/ electronics/vehicles and we occasionally have trailers, RV's listed

Classified ads in our community are not allowed in the technical sections of the forum. Only in the Classified section.
This helps keep the "Wanted/Sales" traffic centrally located in one spot for easy referencing if problems ever arise.

We had buyer/seller reputation scoring in V Bulletin and it worked well. It should be utilized in Xenforo also.

·
Registered
SkyRoadster
22 Posts
We have always had a classified section. It is limited to members selling vehicles and parts that they own, or looking to buy parts or cars, and no commercial posts are allowed. Anyone can post there, even as their first post, and we discourage anyone "throwing cold water" on a legitimate listing. We haven't had any real issues beyond the occasional scammer trying to sneak in, so i would say that it has worked pretty well.

Reactions: jtonge

·
Registered
155 Posts
We have many classified forums on WSF, infact one for each region and also boating and lure fishing.
The forums require 60 days membership and post tally of 30 to gain access.

They run like clockwork and have never been an issue the last 17 years.
I always stress to members that they use PayPal and if they don't want to use the PayPal gift thing I have provided a fee calculator so members can get the best protection.
We have just so many classified forums and they are no issue.

Edit
I think we have 20 classified forums.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,276 Posts
We have a full classifieds section, covers all aspects of 4x4 parts as well as general, the below says it all, as the title says we have a fixed Template for their add, if it isn't used the add is deleted, we introduced this many years ago and it still works fine today.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,751 Posts
  • What would make a great experience for both buyers and sellers? - A reputation system, no need for "bumping", clear guidance for payment protection, remove the current bug that allows a seller the ability to edit a title with no history whatsoever.
  • What type of items do you see users trading within your community? - Mostly topical plus a misc area (see below).
  • What rules would you want to see tied to classifieds? - Each site already has their own tried & true classifieds rules. No one set of rules fits all approach.
  • What concerns do you have around SPAM? - The same as any other post on the site. New users come to buy/sell and should be allowed to without jumping through hoops.
  • Should classified listings be placed into any forum? - Classifieds should be in their own designated node(s).
  • How important is buyer and seller reputation in classifieds? - It's absolutely necessary.
  • Should a member be able to list any item or just specific items relevant to your community? - There should be a "Miscellaneous" area. People like to sell items, even if off the community topic, to people they know & trust.

·
Registered
DieselPlace
538 Posts
New users come to buy/sell and should be allowed to without jumping through hoops.
If you allow new members to 1st post in the classified section(s) you will have a rash of link spammers come in plus every Tom, Dick, and Harry posting for friends, ex girlfriends, etc.. and would also be a cluster for staff..
Having a predetermined time period ( ie 30 days membership in forums and create 25 posts, etc) to help vet out the spammers/cheats will reduce the workload of community staff

·
Registered
SkyRoadster
22 Posts
If you allow new members to 1st post in the classified section(s) you will have a rash of link spammers come in plus every Tom, Dick, and Harry posting for friends, ex girlfriends, etc.. and would also be a cluster for staff..
Having a predetermined time period ( ie 30 days membership in forums and create 25 posts, etc) to help vet out the spammers/cheats will reduce the workload of community staff
We have not seen that. It may be luck, of course.

Most spammers post in the regular forum, and while some scammers post in WTB threads, most seem to be in the technical threads.

I almost think that they think classified ads are too obvious.

·
Registered
DieselPlace
538 Posts
We have not seen that. It may be luck, of course.

Most spammers post in the regular forum, and while some scammers post in WTB threads, most seem to be in the technical threads.

I almost think that they think classified ads are too obvious.
After the transition over to Xenforo, we were dealing with drive-by posters in the classifieds until a couple of months ago when they changed the settings to 30/25 rule for us.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,751 Posts
We already DO allow new members to 1st post in the classified section(s) without what you describe and in a community that's 10-100 times the size of many here. Had we blocked all those new users who started off in the classified area all these years, we’d be a much smaller community.

·
Registered
155 Posts
  • What would make a great experience for both buyers and sellers? - A reputation system, no need for "bumping", clear guidance for payment protection, remove the current bug that allows a seller the ability to edit a title with no history whatsoever.
  • What type of items do you see users trading within your community? - Mostly topical plus a misc area (see below).
  • What rules would you want to see tied to classifieds? - Each site already has their own tried & true classifieds rules. No one set of rules fits all approach.
  • What concerns do you have around SPAM? - The same as any other post on the site. New users come to buy/sell and should be allowed to without jumping through hoops.
  • Should classified listings be placed into any forum? - Classifieds should be in their own designated node(s).
  • How important is buyer and seller reputation in classifieds? - It's absolutely necessary.
  • Should a member be able to list any item or just specific items relevant to your community? - There should be a "Miscellaneous" area. People like to sell items, even if off the community topic, to people they know & trust.
We used to have a great Reputation System that ranked each member who used the classifieds.

But it was deleted by the site upgrade.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If we go to a true classified type forum do we need individual site rules. When we had Panjo classifieds I don't believe we cared very much about our local rules. In fact if I remember correctly we had members that never posted a thing in our forums but only used Panjo and it had it's own rules. This is a little before my time, I saw the very end of it so don't have much knowledge on how it really worked. I'm sure there are some here that remember how it worked but what I see is linking our classifieds to whatever this new classified is and completely dropping ours. That might not work but that's the direction I'd like to go. Let members get to this new classified but anything they post there does not count as posts on our site. It should be a one stop shopping site with anything and everything with it's own rules. What very little I saw with Panjo I liked. I wondered why we even had a classified section but maybe it was. Seems to me if done right you could have parameters like zip code, range from your location, type of product, range of prices, colors, year/model, ect. Anything and everything to zoom in on a specific product. There really wouldn't be a need for a local classified, just a link to that marketplace. Now if that's not going to be how it works then I'll have to rethink what we'll need in it. But that's what I thought this new classified would be.

·
Administrator
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I've recently joined the team as a product designer and would like to know:

Are there any features or functionalities that would be useful to have for a classified listings that you've seen on other sites? Or anything on your wishlist?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi everyone, I've recently joined the team as a product designer and would like to know:

Are there any features or functionalities that would be useful to have for a classified listings that you've seen on other sites? Or anything on your wishlist?
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think it would be great that members could somehow be forced to read the sites classified rules before using.

·
Registered
DieselPlace
538 Posts

I would like to see the ability to view an itrader/reputation score on a seller or buyer by moving the cursor over the username while in the Classified section

1 - 20 of 64 Posts