OneFora banner
101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
SkyRoadster
174 Posts
Other than post count and member days, has anyone seen or heard of innovative ways to reduce fraud with new members?
There is really no way for us to provide 100% fraud protection, and I think that much of the responsibility falls to the member that is the target of the scam. We remind people occasionally that new members should be approached with caution when they offer to sell something, especially if the initial contact is via PM or if the contact information given in a post is email.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Other than post count and member days, has anyone seen or heard of innovative ways to reduce fraud with new members?
Sometime you can find out interesting things about people by doing Google searches on their screen name, email addy, or IP. They may be a member on a message board similar to yours and already be the talk of the town for their questionable behavior. That information could be what you need to make a decision about your noobie.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Our Community used to have a link post restriction on new accounts in the old VB system
We used to have that too. Anyway of getting that back. It didn't really stop fraud necessarily but it certainly stopped spammers from immediately putting their garbage out. If I remember correctly, our limit was rather high, like 15 posts or something like that. It did get some heat by a few but it did reduce the work of the moderators a lot.

·
Registered
starbike, vulcan, yamaha-forum, yamahaforum, HD Street, Blue Oval Fanatics, GT350
493 Posts
Another fraud attempt using Tap a Talk to work around the 10/10 rule we have set up on the Vulcan forum. Luckily with us educating our members it was reported before any known damage. So obviously the 10/10 site rules don't apply to TT accounts on sending PM, that's a shame!!

·
Registered
Ramchargercentral
292 Posts
I was kinda neutral on this, as our classifieds have never been big (not many wanting to pay to ship something). I have had two members get contacted by newbies (both from nigeria), claiming to have the part they were looking for. both were smart enough to not fall for it.

giving this more thought, I would like to see something like 10 or 20 post count at a minimum before they can see or post in the classifieds. And a 5 or 10 post count before they can contact other members. If it could be done, it might be workable if the old member could start a conversation with the new one, But that would likely take more effort then it would be worth.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was kinda neutral on this, as our classifieds have never been big (not many wanting to pay to ship something). I have had two members get contacted by newbies (both from nigeria), claiming to have the part they were looking for. both were smart enough to not fall for it.

giving this more thought, I would like to see something like 10 or 20 post count at a minimum before they can see or post in the classifieds. And a 5 or 10 post count before they can contact other members. If it could be done, it might be workable if the old member could start a conversation with the new one, But that would likely take more effort then it would be worth.
Yes, that's how the folks from OF set my classifieds for me not too long ago.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm hoping the new and improved classifieds that should replace Panjo might make it possible to completely eliminate any classifieds on our site but that's yet to be seen.

·
Registered
FocusRSOC, FocusSTOC, FiestaSTOC, MondeoSTOC
718 Posts
I'm hoping the new and improved classifieds that should replace Panjo might make it possible to completely eliminate any classifieds on our site but that's yet to be seen.
What's Panjo please Larry ?

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
Another fraud attempt using Tap a Talk to work around the 10/10 rule we have set up on the Vulcan forum. Luckily with us educating our members it was reported before any known damage. So obviously the 10/10 site rules don't apply to TT accounts on sending PM, that's a shame!!

View attachment 7633

View attachment 7634
@lesblank

Can you post the links to where this happened in your Area 51/Core Thread so we can dig into this example and confirm?

Jeff

Reactions: lesblank

·
Administrator
The Forum Whisperer
178 Posts
I thought I saw an issue but double checking my work.

Definitely post a link to this in area 51, so I can take a look.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We had the same, brand new Corbin seat, a new member for a month, during that month he said he was looking for a bike, the next thing he has a seat available for the bike he has yet to buy--the first red flag. A second red flag was it wasn't in classifieds, we have a sticky warning to expect to be banned if you try to post For Sale in any area other than the classifieds. That guy got banned.

One thing I never use is debit, in Canada most banks require you to swear an affidavit it wasn't you that bought the merchandise, someone else forged a card and had your pin. I have two major credit cards, and I have posted this elsewhere on this forum. Make sure you save any links involved in a purchase. If they have a contact us, use it right away. Save it, ask a stupid question like something about shipping and tracking, something that requires a later response, if it is a fraud, expect nothing back.

Reactions: DIYASUB

·
Registered
Ramchargercentral
292 Posts
Any body have a good set of guidelines we could copy? I have been trying to piece together some things, but if someone has already done the work, and is willing to share, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
SIGTalk Optimaforums
49 Posts
Any body have a good set of guidelines we could copy? I have been trying to piece together some things, but if someone has already done the work, and is willing to share, I would appreciate it.
You're welcome to use these or take whatever fits your needs from it. We have a very active Classified forum, require 10 posts to view and reply and 25 posts to start a thread. We actively monitor the forum and enforce the rules strictly - we have very few issues - mostly warning for not including all of the required information. I wrote a custom warning specifically for the enforcement of those requirements and if you want a copy of that let me know and I will PM it to you.

·
Registered
Michigan-Sportsman
48 Posts
Do you feel offering to "tenured" users restricts new users from joining the community and marketplace?

Should they delete the ad - or mark it as sold or expired?
Do you feel that conversations get lost if it is deleted?
Sorry for my delayed response on this. I don't feel like having to make a few on-topic posts in other forums is a big barrier for entry.

Doesn't matter to me, so long as they can either delete or mark it sold. Which ever you guys prefer.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts