OneFora banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
StingrayForums. Admin & Moderator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have expressed some of these issues in the past, but would like to bring them up again since I feel strongly they are impacting our member participation on StingrayForums.com

The methodology for determining content on the landing page, IMO, doesn't reflect our member interest nor encourage interaction (posts) to the level we had prior to the transition. Specifically, we used to have the Photo of the Month winner image on the front/landing page, this resulted in a number of positive comments from members for the winner's image, as well as a high level of participation in our monthly contest. Now that image is no longer on the front page. Instead, we have "Top Photos" which in fact are not photos put up by any of our members, rather they were selected by admin several months ago at the transition.

Secondly, the main section of the landing page is the Trending Discussions section. There are 5 topics listed, the top two were last participated/posted on July 2015 and August 2014 (and in fact are no longer relevant). The third is from 2 months ago, and the forth is from 3 days ago, with the fifth from November 2014. Clearly these are not trending discussions by the normal definition.

Changes I would like to see in the near future related to these points: return the Photo of the Month to the landing page and lose the "Top Photos" section; base Trending Discussions on what is trending for the past 30 days (or past month) on a rolling basis. Replace the rest of the landing page with the full forum listing. This will once again bring our supporting vendors back into the front page as well as provide newer members with a better feel for what the content range is of Stingray Forums.

As always, thanks for your consideration (and happy holidays :cool:)!
Jeff

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Surely this is something that each forum needs to look at in its own agenda, what suits one will not suit another, we had an issue with the 'loading page' which I assume is the front cover (please correct I've misunderstood), our front cover photo was of a model that does not sell much in AU and was not representative of our core membership, after discussion with VS ModAdmins in our own area 51 we reached an agreement where 3 models are shown and the two at the front represent our core and the one further back we will look upon as a future hopeful, we now know that this is something that can be changed working internally.

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
373 Posts
Our Land Page, (i.e. Home Page), was the same way. Truck of the Month / Year was posted there. When that page was removed - we lost over a hundred prime members. This home page "was" in place since 2007 and "was" our introduction to our site. Now most members avoid this page all together, as it makes them sick to look at it. Top Photos / Showcase most members can't stand these.

Basically the old members who have been on here through thick-n-thin on this site for years, felt like they were being treated like teenagers in a non-adult website all of a sudden. But we are slowly working back to where we were before the change over more or less. Hopefully we can get some of those lost members back.

I have explained to our members that when we were in vB, it was the Original Admins / Mods in charge / operating the site, but when the change over to XF occurred, then AG was in charge and that they had a BIG learning curve on how to operate / manage these forums. I told to just hang in there and stop yelling at them and wait to see what happens.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surely this is something that each forum needs to look at in its own agenda, what suits one will not suit another, we had an issue with the 'loading page' which I assume is the front cover (please correct I've misunderstood), our front cover photo was of a model that does not sell much in AU and was not representative of our core membership, after discussion with VS ModAdmins in our own area 51 we reached an agreement where 3 models are shown and the two at the front represent our core and the one further back we will look upon as a future hopeful, we now know that this is something that can be changed working internally.
Thanks Ross. I guess I was under the impression that much of this was standardized across all of the related sites.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
@Ross Wittig

I think you are discussing the "Banner Image" at the top that we tweaked for you post-migration not the "Top Photos" or "Trending Discussions" that @jtech mentioned.

IMO I agree the functionality for the Car/Truck of the month/year needs to come back on the community homepage. Many active sites loved that feature to "Showcase" a community member's ride or rotate with monthly contests and then users got a ROTM/ROTY badge as a reward.

Jeff M

·
Registered
286 Posts
@liangVS Can you walk the group through how the new homepage algorithm will work. I think it will ease some of the concerns about the mysterious algorithm.
Its really a step-function of what the community IS interested in :)

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Hi guys,
Here's a high level explanation of how the home page algorithm will work:

1. First, know that we will continue to iterate on the algorithm as we go.
  2. When we first launch, these factors will affect the ranking of posts
    1. Combined like counts within the thread
    2. Reply counts within the thread
    3. Age of the thread
  3. The algorithm will use these 3 factors to generate a "ranking score" for every single thread in the forum.
  4. All the threads will be ranked based on this logic.
  5. On top of that, here's the personalization "bonus score" factor we're looking launch with our first phase
    1. If you're following the thread
    2. If the thread is posted by someone you follow
    3. If the thread is posted under the sub-forum you're following.
  6. On top of all that, threads will be filtered under the following 2 condition:
    1. If a thread is posted under a sub-forum that's set to not show up in feed for Visitor and / or Member
      1. This is to prevent thread from "Others"/"Mics"/"NSFW" sub-forums to show up in the homepage feed for visitor.
    2. If a thread is posted under a sub-forum that I don't have access to, I won't be able to see it in my personal feed.
  7. On top of that, if your account is marked to not show NSFW content, they will also be filtered in the feed.

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
With this algorithm, in nature this is how it will work in active vs non-active forums:
  • active forums will surface good quality, new content faster, with better content on top;
  • in-active forums will surface content that're new.

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
In the 2nd phase and future phases of the algorithm, we're looking into a few areas:
  • More diverse type of content in the feed
    • Media Gallery, show case, professional articles (feature in the work), etc
  • More customization on user's side.
    • We will explore concepts like allowing user to "sub/unsub" from each sub-forum.
  • Manually pined posts in the feed.
    • This would hopefully solve the Top Photo Context issue.
In the far future, we're potentially looking into cross-site content feed.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
Very cool stuff, excited to see this in action.

Jeff M

Reactions: liang_VS

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys,
Here's a high level explanation of how the home page algorithm will work:

1. First, know that we will continue to iterate on the algorithm as we go.
  2. When we first launch, these factors will affect the ranking of posts
    1. Combined like counts within the thread
    2. Reply counts within the thread
    3. Age of the thread
  3. The algorithm will use these 3 factors to generate a "ranking score" for every single thread in the forum.
  4. All the threads will be ranked based on this logic.
  5. On top of that, here's the personalization "bonus score" factor we're looking launch with our first phase
    1. If you're following the thread
    2. If the thread is posted by someone you follow
    3. If the thread is posted under the sub-forum you're following.
  6. On top of all that, threads will be filtered under the following 2 condition:
    1. If a thread is posted under a sub-forum that's set to not show up in feed for Visitor and / or Member
      1. This is to prevent thread from "Others"/"Mics"/"NSFW" sub-forums to show up in the homepage feed for visitor.
    2. If a thread is posted under a sub-forum that I don't have access to, I won't be able to see it in my personal feed.
  7. On top of that, if your account is marked to not show NSFW content, they will also be filtered in the feed.
Thank you for this information. It does clarify why we have mostly inactive threads that show up as Trending Discussions. In our case the personalization "bonus score" probably skews more than normal since I am the second highest poster by a long shot since our forum began (nearly 15k posts) and continue to be the highest poster still active. The top three Trending forums are all inactive (as noted in my post #1 here) and in each case, dealt with ordering and order related issues for specific model years.

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Hey @jtech , sorry I was talking about the new home page we're working in the pipeline, not the one you're currently seeing.
The new homepage is our janurary dev focus.

·
Registered
Hardcoresledder
225 Posts
Personally, I like to subscribe to the K.I.S.S. philosophy. (Keep It Simple Simply) or there abouts as an explanation. Actually if you ask me the current method to determine highest priority is over complicated and should be configurable as each site needs. Such as mentioned to allow a entry page which shows off the "excitement" at the site so that the current members can see what is there. I'm not sure that making it overly complicated with a algorithm like this is the right thing to do.
Will it be possible to override this function somehow ?

Steve

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Hey Steve,
Appreciate the feedback man.

The idea of the algorithm itself is actually rather simple in the high level, I feel I might have dived too deep into it.

Basically the idea is that hot and NEW content will be surfaced first, kinda similar to how reddit is working.

We'll expand from there, and would try to incorporate feedback from you guys as we go. Lemme know if you have anything specific you'd like to see in the new home page in the future. While I can't gurantee it'll be there when it's launched, we might be able to work into it as we iterate it.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
I believe the CBD links have been put on the blocked list for rollout in the next release or two if not sooner.

Ticket #176637346

Jeff

·
Registered
SkyscraperCity Administrator
612 Posts
Turns out the "recommended for you" on the home page knows I'm a spam hunter 👍
I also was able to trigger the "Recommended for you" frontpage in my favour of hunting down scammers/spammers.
It took a time but it works quite good.
I am also able to catch scammers/spammers not only detected by the letters "CBD" and so on in nearly all SkyscraperCity sections.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts