Votes: 2 25.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Staff
GamingFora
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Context:
Based on our research, it's rather clear to us that the current home page is not very engaging or useful.

Right now we're looking into updating the current home page into something more useful to users.

• The direction we're going for is a feed driven approach,
    • like either reddit or facebook, where everything is in 1 feed, and you just keep scrolling to see more.
  • We're thinking of including
    • mixture of new and popular posts
    • new galleries/showcases
    • Professional contents (articles)
    • Updates to posts you're following
    • Posts from people you're following
    • Posts from forums you're following
    • and potential more categories.
Questions
  • What do you guys like to see in this feed?
  • What factors should we consider to make this feed great quality, useful to users/visitors?
View attachment 3788
We're working on a new home page feed, see the post above for more detail.

We were wondering about what to call it, and wanted her you from you guys.

Let us know which one you like! Feel free to leave suggestions if you don't see anything in the vote.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Personally I like :
Content for rdlviper

Although I'm not sure I even like the word "Content"

Maybe Recommended for rdlviper

Something about including the username makes it feel more personalized (which it will be)

·
Staff
GamingFora
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally I like :
Content for rdlviper

Although I'm not sure I even like the word "Content"

Maybe Recommended for rdlviper

Something about including the username makes it feel more personalized (which it will be)
Updated, also made the voting multi vote.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Wouldn't each individual feed have its own name? Would there also be a spot where the entire feed column has a visible name?

·
Staff
GamingFora
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah we're talking about the name of the column, sorry for the confusion, Mike. I'll update the illustration.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
What I meant was is this just for us internally having something to call it or will there be a visible title?

Does the column NEED a title if each individual feed already has it's own?

If so, the content wouldn't be limited to just recommendations/popular/new so something more all-encompassing like content, material or topics.

I do like the X for username format if it needs a title.

·
Staff
GamingFora
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I meant was is this just for us internally having something to call it or will there be a visible title?

Does the column NEED a title if each individual feed already has it's own?

If so, the content wouldn't be limited to just recommendations/popular/new so something more all-encompassing like content, material or topics.

I do like the X for username format if it needs a title.
Yeah it'll be visible. Like on moblie, user needs to switch tab between home page and the side rail. We just need to essentially give this column a name.

And you're right! The feed will start with discussions we think you will find interesting/followed before, and later on we will encompass more, like gallerys, showcases, etc. We're still exploring future options.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 + 8 other Mustangs
75 Posts
If this will be like “Recommended Reading” that we already have on FordGT500, a major flaw in my opinion is it dredges up old threads and brings them back from the dead. Members see the thread in their Recommended Reading and click on it not realizing how old it is. They then start quoting past members and submitting new posts in the thread. This always causes confusion. I simply point out the date and request them to start a new thread with their question or addition. I then close the old thread.

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
I dig Recommended Reading or Daily Digest with the user name. It gives a sense of personality so users feel a little more TLC.

Jeff M

·
Registered
286 Posts
If this will be like “Recommended Reading” that we already have on FordGT500, a major flaw in my opinion is it dredges up old threads and brings them back from the dead. Members see the thread in their Recommended Reading and click on it not realizing how old it is. They then start quoting past members and submitting new posts in the thread. This always causes confusion. I simply point out the date and request them to start a new thread with their question or addition. I then close the old thread.
Yes this new homepage will completely replace the Recommended Reading that currently appears on the homepage with a new algorithm (and will be driven by Vespa, where as that one doesn't have any sort of ML underpinnings). That one just doesn't cut it. The new algo will place a much higher value on recency, and should eliminate the surfacing of stale content @liangVS

·
Staff
GamingFora
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes this new homepage will completely replace the Recommended Reading that currently appears on the homepage with a new algorithm (and will be driven by Vespa, where as that one doesn't have any sort of ML underpinnings). That one just doesn't cut it. The new algo will place a much higher value on recency, and should eliminate the surfacing of stale content @liangVS
Yep, exactly like what rdlviper mentioned, our new feed is aiming to provide fresh and new content that's interesting to each user, it'll be very different from the current one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts