OneFora banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Staff
GamingFora
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Per @rdlviper's request, let's discuss what you guys think on signatures.

Right now
  • They're teeny tiny
    • You can only see the first line
  • Image is limited to size 300 x 200
    • Which is still limited to only see the top, unless you click on it
How do we make it better without hurting the reading experience?
I have some ideas to throw out for discussion.
  • Do we need it to be collapsed first? (aka you need to click on it to show the full signature)
    • If we do, do we increase the height while it's collapsed to show a bit more?
  • After expanded, is the current height limit / character limit enough?
    • If not, what's a reasonable height/character limit?
Feel free to expand the questions and throw in new ideas!

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
Our users complain about people with big sigs that add unnecessary scrolling and the majority would be against pics in sigs at all.

I do like the collapse because the typical thread has multiple posts from the same user(s) and there's no need to see the full sig every time if it's large.

Extended sig character limits are generally reserved for paid premium members.

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 + 8 other Mustangs
75 Posts
My vote would be to set the limit to double the current size. There are currently settings in our profiles that default to collapsing (hiding) signatures. You can leave this as a selectable option giving members the choice to see full signatures or not.

One option I liked from the old software was the ability to deselect one’s signature when making a post. Many of our regulars would deselect their signature when making multiple posts on the same page. We could reinstate that option if it is possible with the new software or even automate it... hiding the signature for subsequent posts by a member on the same page.

Signatures are a big part of the experience on our car forum.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
Sigs are one of the things that should have custom settings per site vs. a cookie cutter approach mandated everywhere.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Great idea to keep this separate. As shown in other thread this is my signature on P4x4. Also mentioned, I cannot change my sig because of a 2 link rule in XF apparently.

Opinions will always be divided so I'm interested in your thoughts on my sig on P4x4, does anyone think it is overly large? The reason I have this is I often talk to and advise new and established members on technical issues, my sig contains a bit about my outlook, 6 internal tech links and 2 external tech links (tech links in red).

I have no pictures in sig, I've never really been a fan of pics there, that might just be me, although I know it is not a popular thing on P4x4.

I would not like to see it compressed, it is there for a reason and I would like it to be in clear view. I did put a pic in my sig here, the pic is actually smaller than my P4x4 sig but gets compressed which I see as pointless having it.
Ross

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
373 Posts
Our users complain about people with big sigs that add unnecessary scrolling and the majority would be against pics in sigs at all.

I do like the collapse because the typical thread has multiple posts from the same user(s) and there's no need to see the full sig every time if it's large.

Extended sig character limits are generally reserved for paid premium members.
Second this - on our vBulletin Site we didn't have Signature images as it cludered up the pages and slowed down page loading. Our alternative too this was a Profile Image. If anything I would go for smaller postal stamp size or small GIFs...

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
I wanted to give you all the CM team's perspective.

As you know we help users from all sites on our network, and I can tell you users from each of your sites have at some point emailed us and complained about signature restrictions, especially when they know we own similar sites that have the permissions they WANT to use. They want to be able to do the same thing on each site. What the community is doing may not be what the newer or the majority of the community wants. We get a birds-eye view of all the site issues, so we have a different perspective on it. Let's talk about it differently, let's change the discussion from what we currently do, to what we WANT to do and talk to product about making something that covers our general needs and concerns.

So if we were to think about how to cover our bases for something that would work for everyone what would be on our do and don't list?

Helena
To cover all bases would require the ability for each user to customize their preferences to allow for each and every possibility.

They'd need to be able to see full sigs all the time, or no sigs ever, or collapsed sigs to whatever size they want. Plus the ability to see any sig pics vs. no sig pics at all and even adjust how big sig pics are if they want to see them but want them small and not overpowering.

G

·
To cover all bases would require the ability for each user to customize their preferences to allow for each and every possibility.

They'd need to be able to see full sigs all the time, or no sigs ever, or collapsed sigs to whatever size they want. Plus the ability to see any sig pics vs. no sig pics at all and even adjust how big sig pics are if they want to see them but want them small and not overpowering.
I think we are looking for something that can work for all.

What if only the OP's signature showed uncollapsed? but everyone else stayed collapsed unless you wanted to select >> see signatures << in your profile? as an example.

We don't have to do everything, and it isn't achievable all at once, smaller chunks of work/change are easier to get out to the users. This also allows us to collect data on how a user is interacting with a product allowing us to make an educated guess on if it is working or not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think we are looking for something that can work for all.

What if only the OP's signature showed uncollapsed? but everyone else stayed collapsed unless you wanted to select >> see signatures << in your profile? as an example.

We don't have to do everything, and it isn't achievable all at once, smaller chunks of work/change are easier to get out to the users. This also allows us to collect data on how a user is interacting with a product allowing us to make an educated guess on if it is working or not.
I like the user selectable option. For the default setting, is it possible to have everyone’s 1st reply in a thread show their full signature with no or collapsed signature for multiple posts from the same member on the same page? To explain further... Joe starts a thread, his full signature is shown. Bob replies, his full signature is shown. Sue replies, her full signature is show. Bob replies again and his signature is either not shown or is collapsed. Once the thread rolls over to another page, everyone’s signatures are shown again in their first post.

We have some members that have never grasped “multi-quote.” They will have many back-to-back posts replying to other members. It’s nice not to show their full signature with each subsequent post.

Reactions: AG Jeff and Test HB

·
Registered
286 Posts
I kind of feel like ....
- allow text signatures up to 4 lines (currently, it fades on line 2)
- image signatures always collapse
- allow large images in signatures (but as above, always collapsed)
- premium, mods, and admins can add links (everyone else, limited to 1)

Would that solve our problem without pleasing everyone? :)

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
Yeah I think as long as no one is forced to see a large sig without turning them off completely and any images are hidden by default, most users should be happy with that.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
Unless of course every single site doesn't need to have the exact same signature policies as every other site. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Unless of course every single site doesn't need to have the exact same signature policies as every other site. ;)
Any sort of 'customization by site' will really slow things down, so we are trying to severely limit those except in very important cases. Bloated code bases = slow code bases.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I kind of feel like ....
  • allow text signatures up to 4 lines (currently, it fades on line 2)
  • image signatures always collapse
  • allow large images in signatures (but as above, always collapsed)
  • premium, mods, and admins can add links (everyone else, limited to 1)

Would that solve our problem without pleasing everyone? :)
We should try it here before pushing it to individual forums. I think it would work, but I’d like to see it before getting it as a new permanent policy.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Agree try it here first, but as said I'm not a fan of large images in signature lines unless they collapse, on my home forum everyone knows what I drive, if they wish to see it my build thread is in my signature with plain and action pics in the first post.
I like the idea of 4 lines then collapsing after that. The other thing that cheeses our member off with signatures and brought up with me many times, is the lack of font type and colour choice, sizing would be good as well but with limitations.

·
Read Only
111 Posts
We've also gotten some complaints about long signatures. Mine is actually fairly annoying to some. I like the fact that it's hidden, but can be revealed with a click.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts