OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
starbike, vulcan, yamaha-forum, yamahaforum, HD Street, Blue Oval Fanatics, GT350
442 Posts
Unfortunately people in general don't like change. I started out as a member of the StarBike forum seven years and began moderator duties before the switch to current format. There was plenty of negative feedback at first. Being a member and staff member I would highlight the positive things, posting pictures without using a third party, ease of uploading files, better options of show case, etc. We are a tight nit group and would most importantly point out that the members make the forum, not the software. The StarBike has been out of production since 2014 and our forum is bigger and stronger than ever. After the change to current software I started helping on two other sites when the entire staff quit because they didn't like the format. Unfortunately they quit the people on the forum, not the forum. These site are now fully staffed and growing daily. Focus on the positive and the issue will soon subside.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,560 Posts
Some communities have a harder time with the change than others. However, every change will have a few vocal critics.

Over time most learn the pros and cons of the new software and it becomes easier for them to use.

The updates coming to Recommended Reading this quarter should help out with some of their concerns. I will have @VS_Philip drop in over there.

If companies never update software all websites would still look like this:

Jeff

·
Staff
25 Posts
This is a forum where I am a member, not a moderator: https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/forum-software.218360/#post-2283438

The forum software is getting slammed. Unnecessarily so, I think.
I will check in. I think it really is about a change in the look being something to talk about. I wont complain about complaints, its how we change things. We just cant please everyone, we can just show them how the site works. :)

Thank you for bringing this up!
-Philip

·
Registered
Duramax Forum
42 Posts
Some communities have a harder time with the change than others. However, every change will have a few vocal critics.

Over time most learn the pros and cons of the new software and it becomes easier for them to use.

The updates coming to Recommended Reading this quarter should help out with some of their concerns. I will have @VS_Philip drop in over there.

If companies never update software all websites would still look like this:

Jeff
Your favorite link, lol... I share it too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
November & December 2019, when we first switched, we had many member complaints.
In part due to the change itself, but also the change of tool kit.
Our team had issues too.

Now, most approve of the change (similar across most media is a big plus for them, although not perfect).

Staff (myself included) still have some issues with moderator and admin toolkits, but the benefits outweigh the deficits. Our issues are well documented with VS, so not listing here.
More robust platform. Less spamming and easier to use toolkit for the most part.
The appearance is more standardised. Helpful when dealing with user issues.
FAQs are much better.

It took a little time for the platform to settle (which, as more are switched, they should find easier).
The onefora area has become a big plus.
It not only becomes a resource for all of us, but also highlights the 'one size does not fit all' issues.

What was hard, was seeing reliable members getting antsy about the changes and blaming staff.
Nobody got banned, as we tried our best to onboard, some got reminded of our 'Respect' philosophy.

This system is easier for the first timers without forum experience (yes, they still exist).

One point that I do want to be clear. We never felt abandoned by VS. Our VS admin at the time was always keeping us in the lop and responding to our requests. (Cheers Jeff).

There is a good statement by VS about the reasons for the changes. Well worth referring to when replying to those upset at the change

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,560 Posts
November & December 2019, when we first switched, we had many member complaints.
In part due to the change itself, but also the change of tool kit.
Our team had issues too.

Now, most approve of the change (similar across most media is a big plus for them, although not perfect).

Staff (myself included) still have some issues with moderator and admin toolkits, but the benefits outweigh the deficits. Our issues are well documented with VS, so not listing here.
More robust platform. Less spamming and easier to use toolkit for the most part.
The appearance is more standardised. Helpful when dealing with user issues.
FAQs are much better.

It took a little time for the platform to settle (which, as more are switched, they should find easier).
The onefora area has become a big plus.
It not only becomes a resource for all of us, but also highlights the 'one size does not fit all' issues.

What was hard, was seeing reliable members getting antsy about the changes and blaming staff.
Nobody got banned, as we tried our best to onboard, some got reminded of our 'Respect' philosophy.

This system is easier for the first timers without forum experience (yes, they still exist).

One point that I do want to be clear. We never felt abandoned by VS. Our VS admin at the time was always keeping us in the lop and responding to our requests. (Cheers Jeff).

There is a good statement by VS about the reasons for the changes. Well worth referring to when replying to those upset at the change
This made my week, thank you!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Credit where it is due @AG Jeff

You know we had issues other than the obvious 'we used to have...' and 'were did x go'.
It was good to have support, especially that talked to us as equals.
Meant a lot and kept me from throwing the towel (or teddy) at the time.

Now we have a functioning forum (that often gets compliments from new members) and have worked out what tools we have and can use, plus workarounds for some of the others.

Down to the 'I want' list now, but get the priority issues with vs.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,560 Posts
Awe shucks!

Thanks for putting up with me all.

I Will do my best to make things happen but I have a great team behind the scenes doing all the real magic. I am just the talking head.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts