OneFora banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quick idea here from my weekend:
  • what if we automated the ability to have a Ride of the month (or theatre of the month, motorcycle of month, watch of the month, etc)
  • those wishing to enter, could submit their Showcase (I suggest using showcase to keep things orderly, rather than putting them all free-form into a thread)
  • you could view the Contest on a page that would show each of the contest entries (a collection of showcases)
  • on that page you could Vote for your favorite
  • Voting would be live (we could show usernames of who voted, to ensure nothing nefarious)
  • at the end of the month, a winner would be chosen, and they would get prizing (if there was prizing on that particular site)
  • a new contest would automatically be started
  • there would be a page to see past winners
  • there could be a badge for "ROTM Winner Sept 2019" added to their profile

Thoughts? It seems like a lot of these contests "of the month" were stopped because it was too much work for the mods/admins; but they were mostly well-liked by the communities.
We could also give them some homepage love!

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
We still do a home theater of the month but it might be a nice twist to actually let the members do the voting. I do like the badge idea.
Right now, the winner is revealed as editorial does a nice write up on the home theater that‘s placed on the home page as well as the newsletter and a winner thread. With this system, there would be a delay in any write up since editorial wouldn’t know the winner any sooner than the readers.
There would need to be quite a bit of automation and some some variables like if you didn’t win this month are you still in the running for future months or do you need to enter every month?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I think we'd need to set some rules, and I'd assume, you could enter until win :)
There could also be some positive traffic side effects if people ask their friends/family to join & vote! Not sure that we want it to become a popularity contest... but something to think about rules-wise.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
I dig it, this would be great and especially for some fo the "Older Demographics" sites who are not great with uploading images and managing the polls.

For example, these guys have a very active ROTM contest then and they also have a ROTY contest for the yearly banner spot.

Jeff M

Reactions: Guest

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
I've also been toying with the idea of allowing members to nominate other members. Some are just too humble to nominate themselves and this would boost the numbers.

Reactions: Guest

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 + 8 other Mustangs
75 Posts
At FordGT500.com, we’ve been running a Ride Of The Month every month for almost 5 years now. I pick a ride to be featured and then get the story and pictures via email from the member. I then publish it on the last day of each month. I also run a Year In Review each Dec. This format does require work on my part, but it nets us a diverse group of cars/members and doesn’t require action from the masses other than those I chose and agree to submit their goods. For our forum, Showcase doesn’t get used much. If we rely on members to submit their item for “Of The Month,” I fear we would only get a small group of highly-active members playing the game. I watch the forum looking at modification posts, pictures, videos, DIY threads, and signature pictures. When something catches my eye, I reach out to the member via PM inquiring if they are game being featured.

Tim

Here is ours:

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For our forum, Showcase doesn’t get used much. If we rely on members to submit their item for “Of The Month,” I fear we would only get a small group of highly-active members playing the game.
One thing I also think about is having a "Most Popular Images" feed. Being able to highlight some of the images that are being viewed often by members. I feel like sometimes we have great content, that doesn't really get surfaced in that regard. We'd be able to run our NSFW features to make sure its clean content...
Bottom line, I agree Showcase doesn't always get used; yet there are great photos of some cool cars that still need to be surfaced as well.

G

·
In a thread, if every image is attached as a thumbnail, when you click on one image you also get a carousel of all images in a thread if you open that up so all images get put through a carousel you may get better results for image views. I would exclude things like OT sections. I just find that there are GREAT images in threads that never get the exposure they deserve since the topic it'self may not drive someone to want to read the thread but the images may be valuable.

This could be true for a ROTM, users can have a function that allows them to say the images should be used for ROTM?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
375 Posts
Start with;

End with;

Winner was given 1 year "Supporting Membership" - But, now what the winner gets is unknown ?!?

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
Hmmmm! competitions are something I have looked at a few times over the years (not recently) but could not come up with an option I thought was viable to our members, this thread had me thinking about it again, while out with friends this afternoon it hit me! If we get our Admin rites back we can make this work however we as individual forums want it too.

·
Registered
StingrayForums. Admin & Moderator
137 Posts
We at stingrayforums.com have had a Photo of the Month almost since we started the forum. It has gone through several iterations over the years, but remains very popular. In the beginning we had members vote initially on their favorite post followed by a poll to vote on the 'best of the best' (based on the number of likes that month for each entry). We abandoned the voting approach when it became apparent that winners were ending more often than not, being clique driven popularity contests for the respective clique's member, rather than reflecting the best entry and/or the broader members. We replaced that process with one where we use a panel of judges to review the submissions, consider the member 'likes' submitted and identify the best of the best.

This process has resulted in broader member participation and a better cross-section of winners. We publish the best of the best each month, featured the image on the front page (until the new current front page format was put in place) and also placed the image in the Photo of the Month Winners Circle Winner's Circle . We also vary the focus each month.

I don't think we would like to go back to a voting/automated process on our forum.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
We at stingrayforums.com have had a Photo of the Month almost since we started the forum. It has gone through several iterations over the years, but remains very popular. In the beginning we had members vote initially on their favorite post followed by a poll to vote on the 'best of the best' (based on the number of likes that month for each entry). We abandoned the voting approach when it became apparent that winners were ending more often than not, being clique driven popularity contests for the respective clique's member, rather than reflecting the best entry and/or the broader members. We replaced that process with one where we use a panel of judges to review the submissions, consider the member 'likes' submitted and identify the best of the best.

This process has resulted in broader member participation and a better cross-section of winners. We publish the best of the best each month, featured the image on the front page (until the new current front page format was put in place) and also placed the image in the Photo of the Month Winners Circle Winner's Circle . We also vary the focus each month.

I don't think we would like to go back to a voting/automated process on our forum.
Agree, the clique factor can kill many things, on our forum there are several 'cliques' of varying degrees, on forums, social media, it is inescapable.

·
Registered
StingrayForums. Admin & Moderator
137 Posts
Agree, the clique factor can kill many things, on our forum there are several 'cliques' of varying degrees, on forums, social media, it is inescapable.
Fortunately Ross, we only experienced an issue of cliques in the Photo of the Month contest. The rest of the threads/forums have managed to escape clique impact and 'self-police' heavy-handiness.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
Fortunately Ross, we only experienced an issue of cliques in the Photo of the Month contest. The rest of the threads/forums have managed to escape clique impact and 'self-police' heavy-handiness.
We also, I'm not saying the cliques are big, some years ago we had a small war between two particular engine groups, a couple of short bus trips for a few members fixed that ;), it is pretty good now, but for photo's a voting system would definitely not give an unbiased outcome every time.
But, once we get our 'rites' back we can make our own adaptions to suit our individual forums.

Reactions: AG Jeff and jtech

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
375 Posts
Our old site had the front page winner for TOTM & TOTY also, but when we were switched to the new format, the front page changed to what we have now and the "Sh!T Hit The Fan" with site members. Lost a lot of the too....

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
Great input on this stuff guy!

It is awesome having some of our power Admins all in one place.

As we redevelop the homepages and others we will see if there is a way to make features like this work for the community again.

Jeff M

1 - 16 of 16 Posts