OneFora banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time I never saw the featured threads because they only show up when I use the home link. I use a bookmark What's New
and it does not show up there nor with any of the other links like new post etc. Many members at Electricians Talk have never heard of it either

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Yeah it wouldn't work for What's New because it needs an image and if it only chose those threads with an image in the OP, it would no longer be "What's New".

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it wouldn't work for What's New because it needs an image and if it only chose those threads with an image in the OP, it would no longer be "What's New".
That is not what I am saying. I use the what's new to view the forum. When I use that or new posts or anything other than the home link then I don't see the featured threads. They only appear when I go to home. Why?

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Because it's a home page only feature. The threads are somewhere in the forum, but you may not see the same threads in what's new unless someone just replied to one of them.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
@Dennis Alwon

You can read more about Featured Threads and how they work - HERE

Jeff

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get it but I thought you would see the featured threads as a header on all pages... I never use the home feature so I don't generally see the featured threads. Thanks

·
Registered
starbike, vulcan, yamaha-forum, yamahaforum, HD Street, Blue Oval Fanatics, GT350
442 Posts
One of my forums was one the first to test Featured Threads. Most members never noticed it as they start on the new posts page, to them it's no big deal. But think of the person who is thinking of joining the forum, they will start on the home page. They will see the Featured Threads and be able to see what the forum has to offer in a snap shot. A lot of new members see the Featured Threads and jump in posting becoming part of the community. It's worked out very well for us getting new members to sign up and start posting. We try to keep a variety of topics featured. Being a powersport forum we feature new member introduction post, some ride thread, a repair thread, ride of the month thread and a news related thread. So, for the exsisting members, most have seen these threads, but for the new members, it invites them in. Give it a chance and you will see traction on interest shown.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've just started playing with featured threads. Going so far as to edit a great thread that has images but are not the first thing. So I move or copy one as the first thing which then gets it as a featured thread. Most don't even notice the change but like seeing their thread feature. If I had the ability to make a global announcement I'd make one to suggest that anyone that knows they are going to be adding images, to put one up front. Best I can do is put a message in a site messages forum which likely goes completely unnoticed. Dang I'd like to have my ability to make those global announcements as I did with vBulletin. Maybe admins don't actually admin like I do so it's no big deal. But I like to keep our members informed and global announcement messaging was key.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
I've just started playing with featured threads. Going so far as to edit a great thread that has images but are not the first thing. So I move or copy one as the first thing which then gets it as a featured thread. Most don't even notice the change but like seeing their thread feature. If I had the ability to make a global announcement I'd make one to suggest that anyone that knows they are going to be adding images, to put one up front. Best I can do is put a message in a site messages forum which likely goes completely unnoticed. Dang I'd like to have my ability to make those global announcements as I did with vBulletin. Maybe admins don't actually admin like I do so it's no big deal. But I like to keep our members informed and global announcement messaging was key.
Not sure that the above is announcement-worthy, maybe a sticky in the Intro, Builds, or General section.

If you see a thread that would be a good fit for the homepage Featured Threads ping the OP and ask them if they can add an image to have it show. Otherwise, I see no issue with moving an image into the OP of the thread also as you mentioned above.

Jeff

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not sure that the above is announcement-worthy, maybe a sticky in the Intro, Builds, or General section.
Unfortunately we have members that only look at certain forums and will never see any kind of announcement unless they are forced to see it. That’s why the ability to make global announcements worked so well when we were running vBulletin. Just ask yourself, why don’t you use a Sticky? You seem to think that’s all that’s needed when you want to announce something. You can make one for every forum. Works well doesn’t it. No, you use a global announcement for good reason. Why tie our hands behind our back? That’s what is happening.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whilst of course I’m glad that we can finally make use of Featured Threads again – there’s one thing that still bugs me on this – it’s that certain threads can’t be featured.

For example I’ve been running a “Tennis Forum Pick The Best Song Game” competition every week for the last 7 years. Now obviously I do appreciate that it’s a Tennis Forum and I’m talking about a Song Game which has always been in the “Non-Tennis” section of the forum (over those 7 years it’s generated 6.4 million views). At times we’d highlight to the whole forum things like it was a 4th anniversary game, or that other Annual Forum competitons were starting in “Non Tennis”, things such as that to promote to everyone visiting what was within the forum, which we can’t do at present with anything being held in a Non-Tennis area of the forum.

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whilst of course I’m glad that we can finally make use of Featured Threads again – there’s one thing that still bugs me on this – it’s that certain threads can’t be featured.

For example I’ve been running a “Tennis Forum Pick The Best Song Game” competition every week for the last 7 years. Now obviously I do appreciate that it’s a Tennis Forum and I’m talking about a Song Game which has always been in the “Non-Tennis” section of the forum (over those 7 years it’s generated 6.4 million views). At times we’d highlight to the whole forum things like it was a 4th anniversary game, or that other Annual Forum competitons were starting in “Non Tennis”, things such as that to promote to everyone visiting what was within the forum, which we can’t do at present with anything being held in a Non-Tennis area of the forum.
Move it to another forum with a note explaining why you did it... hahaha

·
Registered
445 Posts
Has anyone run into manual thread selection issues?

Initial thread did not have a photo. Member obliged and added photo. 2nd attempt to select thread is still a no-go...

Does the function require a photo to be in the thread at the time of creation? Or......¿

https://www. ascentforums.com/threads/att-wifi-built-in-hotspot-if-you-are-thinking-about-it-i-think-its-worth-it.12454/#post-165746
(Broke link on purpose)

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
Has anyone run into manual thread selection issues?

Initial thread did not have a photo. Member obliged and added photo. 2nd attempt to select thread is still a no-go...

Does the function require a photo to be in the thread at the time of creation? Or......¿

View attachment 6778

https://www. ascentforums.com/threads/att-wifi-built-in-hotspot-if-you-are-thinking-about-it-i-think-its-worth-it.12454/#post-165746
(Broke link on purpose)
Did you get this one sorted, I know re-uploading the image or another more visually appealing image can sometimes help.

Tagging @VS_Carly as she might have some more insight.

Jeff

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nope.

I pulled the .web photo that was loaded, and installed a new .Jpeg.... No change.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts