Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wish you guys would break out of this thread and use the whole forum and existing threads or create new ones if one doesn't exist.

These are important issues but I feel like many aren't reading what's getting buried in a thread about just one site.

These are issues for every site on the platform.

Just as an example, the thread about the 50k character post limit is right here.

In it, Brandon said:

50k is just a default we settled on but nothing is stopping us from changing it per site if we need.
But if you guys will only talk about it in this thread, does he even see it?

Reactions: 36764

·
Registered
170 Posts
We kind of hope the assigned community manager (s) would push those changes with the appropriate persons no?

Anyway I will post it there as well.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we're much more likely to get noticed and have issues prioritized if we explain the concerns we experience and complaints we hear from users in an organized layout vs. dumping it all in a single soon-to-be 1000+ post thread.

A SSC thread implies things that only affect SSC, but almost everything brought up here has it's own dedicated thread that can be built out and bumped up.

I'm just trying to help get issues highlighted and fixed as quickly and efficiently as possible to help us all succeed.

I'm going for this in Labs:

And this thread is kind of like:

:cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm going for this in Labs:
I understand that and I appreciate your effort.
It doesn't seem to pay off that much if I am being honest. You complained about the character limit on January 5th and got confirmation just a few hours later it's just a random limit put in place.... 135 days further we are, may 10th. Nothing changed.:rolleyes:

It looks like most things that can be solved with a few clicks are ignored like this. I've read most of the threads in the Labs - Bug Reports / Feature Requests and none of them have been given the attention they needed. Yeah they are all ticketed, VS replied left and right said they will hear with the tech team and then...... nothing, just nothing.

We are all doing this in our free time. VS is making money of this and VS staff are payed people with salaries that probably far exceed mine. It's their job, not ours to make things well-arranged :)

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
I do agree with Mike about getting out of this thread and taking part in existing theads, as I said earlier I've been talking about problems with XF for damned near 10 months, 6 months here and 4 months on home forum before being asked to participate here. We have come a hell of a long way over that time and I have congratulated the team many times but we still have a long way to go, if people think there are problems now, you should have been on this system 10 months ago. I still think P4x4 was the guinea pig, we lost many members, they walked away in disgust, when we compliained we were often treated in a very condescending manner which added to frustration, we are slowly getting them back and new members being added but it has been a hard slog.

I've said many times this is like a waltz, we take 2 steps forward and then take 1 back, just about everything in this thread has been raised in earlier threads by earlier members.

Sorry but I need to say this, I must admit this thread has been a source of annoyance, as though you guys required special treatment, leaving the rest of us that have fought so hard, out in the cold, may not have been the case but this is the way it appeared. Many of the things we asked for ages ago seem to be on hold while SSC soaks up all the attention. This whole 'waltz' situation has been very, very, etc, etc, frustrating for us, there have been many times I have thought 'this just isn't worth all the crap we put up with at home and here, just walk away' but I'm not a quitter and I love my forum. I still have a list of outstanding issues which should be dealt with as a group, or do I start a P4x4 thread?

If this post upsets some, that's fine, I can live with that. I can also assure I don't get paid, the resulting months of heartache was accepted free ;).

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think anyone is looking for special treatment. We'll all be on the same exact platform so all we can do is report what we find lacking and what our users are complaining about.

In the end, every new feature added and bug resolved will help us all.

It's human nature to say "my site needs this", but in almost all cases, we all want the same features and will experience the same user complaints.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
I don't think anyone is looking for special treatment. We'll all be on the same exact platform so all we can do is report what we find lacking and what our users are complaining about.

In the end, every new feature added and bug resolved will help us all.

It's human nature to say "my site needs this", but in almost all cases, we all want the same features and will experience the same user complaints.
That is what we must all remember and it must be done on a team approach.

I really wish you guys would break out of this thread and use the whole forum and existing threads or create new ones if one doesn't exist.

·
Registered
469 Posts
but in almost all cases, we all want the same features and will experience the same user complaints.
My take is that the "one straitjacket fits all" approach is cause for most of our troubles. A setting that might work well for a compact North American forum focussed on a certain make of car doesn't have to work well for a large international forum on cities and architecture. Instead of trying to get to some kind of half-happy compromise on what might work for most sites, what we need is a good number of buttons and switches that can be set for each forum individually.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If this post upsets some, that's fine, I can live with that. I can also assure I don't get paid, the resulting months of heartache was accepted free ;).
I don't think you can upset anyone by telling the thruth. But I disagree. If 99% of our problems are the same, we are not taking away problem solving from patroll 4x4 but adding weight to it. I will however put it in the right threads next time or add new threads. Not that I think anything more will happen with the information then when we post it here anyways. The proof is in our face. Tbh with everyone, I'm allready tired of complaining about the same things. I complained together with many, two full years our search engine wasn't working. We were all ignored.

Also I feel sorry your userbase was hit so hard. I can't even imagine the anger it would have in our community. Eventhough we might allready have better software now than you guys had gotten- much of the damage was allready done before migration to Xenforo when SCC was neglected for nearly two years.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
I don't think you can upset anyone by telling the thruth. But I disagree. If 99% of our problems are the same, we are not taking away problem solving from patroll 4x4 but adding weight to it. I will however put it in the right threads next time or add new threads. Not that I think anything more will happen with the information then when we post it here anyways. The proof is in our face. Tbh with everyone, I'm allready tired of complaining about the same things. I complained together with many, two full years our search engine wasn't working. We were all ignored.

Also I feel sorry your userbase was hit so hard. I can't even imagine the anger it would have in our community. Eventhough we might allready have better software now than you guys had gotten- much of the damage was allready done before migration to Xenforo when SCC was neglected for nearly two years.
The one size fits all policy has been pushed to my forum for the whole 10 months, I still don't believe it will work on all forums, I'm waitng for WWIII when Pirate migrates (I'm an observing member there, very rarely post but receive weekly newsletters).

Under vB there was very little I couldn't do as lead Admin, when the migration occured we lost all but very basic mod rites for months and I do mean very basic, it took a lot of hounding and whinging to get back what we have now, my forum is much better these days, and I thank the tech guys for their efforts, but it still isn't at a std I wish it to be at. It may have sounded a bit harsh, but it certainly seemed that as soon as you guys migrated the things we had been pushing for here went on the backburner.

I've looked at walking away from here and home in disgust a few times, but I'm not a quitter.

·
Registered
Hardcoresledder
225 Posts
Ross, What really happened to push things back was COVID-19. That did all of that pushing for us. Not just us. It's everything that's come to a standstill.

I am believing now that the "one size fits all" for forums isn't working out. There's too much that's causing trouble in a larger platform and not in a smaller one. This was the same thing that occurred with VAX VMS development of our software back in the days of departmentalized systems. As we became better more customers bought us. Bigger and bigger it got. As it got bigger all the flaws of the software shined through. Bigger is great for $$$,$$$ but not for bugs and needed feature improvements. They worked on them all of course but there's always a software upgrade coming to "fix" things. That's how it was then. And that's how it is now too.

I think Jan is right on this. We need more "buttons" and settings to be able to customize the larger of the sites. Maybe a large site version of the software vs the small ones. Who knows but they need to look at it for sure.

And yes, I remember our search engine not working well either. Most just used google to do the job. It worked all the time.

Steve

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Things were slowing for us before covid Steve, yes that pushed it back further but I was being told certain things were unimportant and could wait before covid hit, one of those was premium members eroded rites, they were robbed of benefits while others gained and I don't consider them unimportant.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
Good call @Mike Lang

For all the SSC crew since the initial major questions have been answered let's close the SSC thread.

If you guys have any issues moving forward that are not listed in the bugs/feedback section lets start a new thread or bump an old one as a lot is getting lost in the shuffle.

Product Deoicussoins Here:
Labs - Product, Design & UX Feedback

Bugs/features Here:
Labs - Bug Reports / Feature Requests

Jeff M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.