OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are we limited to the files that are listed? Is it possible to allow a specific category to have access to attach spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations? As many know I started some new forums at Electricians Talk and it will be knowledge based only- no posting by members. I would like to be able to attach some excel files and PP files as a learning guide. I have so much of that stuff and I can't attach it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well, excel is easy to fix. Just open the ss and in "save as" select PDF. Then upload that pdf to the post. It won't be usable by the member AS excel but I don't know if that's what you're trying to do.

Don't know about PP as I don't have it to try.

·
Registered
Firearms Talk
275 Posts
Anything can be printed to a PDF. I have done that for years with my teaching PowerPoint decks.

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I can save as pdf's and that is okay for powerpoint but it doesn't help for the spreadsheet as they won't be active. I am not sure why they aren't allow.

·
Registered
starbike, vulcan, yamaha-forum, yamahaforum, HD Street, Blue Oval Fanatics, GT350
419 Posts
I screenshot most items I want to post to forum. For me it's simple, quick and effective. Sample of monthly mileage challenge we do, created in excel, then screenshot posted.

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just curious but can't you just rename the extension from *.xls to *.zip and let whoever chooses to download it rename it back? Or just zip it in the first place?
I can try that. Thanks

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saved as a text and opened it in excel and it worked. That is a possibility... it didn't appear to lose anything. Not sure I have a zip program- never used it.

Reactions: difalkner

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zip worked also.. Thanks all this helped

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, zip files aren't acceptable either. I ended up with txt and explained what to do.

Reactions: jbanks15

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well none of that works.... When I open the text it worked because the excel program still had the open file. When I closed it I got a mess...

Reactions: ArizonaWarrior

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How about calling it a *.pdf even though it isn't exported as that file type?
I tried.. I changed the ext to pdf then downloaded it and changed it back to xlsx and it was messed up.

We just need to get an exception. Hopefully the admins will have some answer on Monday. Thanks all.

Reactions: difalkner

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I was so tired yesterday that I didn't think it thru. What I did was changed the file name from xxx.xls to xxx.txt once downloaded I changed it back to xls. It worked

I think I must have saved it to txt yesterday duh....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just throwing this out there because it's been helpful for me in the past but have you tried using Google Sheets in instances where you need to let others see/use a spreadsheet? It works exceptionally well in most use cases and all you have to do is link to it.

Edit: Google Slides also works pretty well.

I realize not everyone likes to use Google stuff but in most of these forum cases, they should likely be considered.

·
ElectricianTalk.com
Electricians Talk
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just throwing this out there because it's been helpful for me in the past but have you tried using Google Sheets in instances where you need to let others see/use a spreadsheet? It works exceptionally well in most use cases and all you have to do is link to it.

Edit: Google Slides also works pretty well.

I realize not everyone likes to use Google stuff but in most of these forum cases, they should likely be considered.

I thought about it but I want this stuff to be there after I am pushing up daisies. I just changed the file to txt and then they can change it back... I left instructions so that should work... Thanks

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Registered
16 Posts
If anyone wants to do this in the future, it's worth your consideration.

I set up a forum Gmail/Google account that the mods control and documented everything in the mod section. That way we can use a test member account and see how things look when emails or messages are received. Also great for testing permissions and warnings.

That kind of account could also be used to maintain spreadsheets, presentations or anything else that's useful. Not a necessity but sometimes useful. I find hosting spreadsheets in particular in this manner to be easier to edit and maintain. And if one of us ends up being no more, others have access.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts