• Undecided - reply with idea below

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya all,

Thoughts on adding the Giphy plugin to the new platform?

Details for those unfamiliar with it see the link below:

Three options in the poll:
1. Yes
2. No
3. Undecided - Reply with a comment below on your thoughts

The Platforum team.

Reactions: gkatsiochristos

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd need to see the functionality difference in action. We basically already have it w/ the media button. All you have to do now is paste the URL.
I will see if @gkatsiochristos can get some mocks ups posted after talking to the Devs early next week.

Jeff M

·
Staff
99 Posts
I will see if @gkatsiochristos can get some mocks ups posted after talking to the Devs early next week.

Jeff M
Hey, I do not have mockups right now, just trying to gauge interest in the product within our communities. But essentially we are thinking there will be a giphy button in the toolbar, that the user can select and the gifs will appear in a carousel format below the post/thread or in a pop-up that the user can search through, select, and post.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Nope Nopity Nope...

If people want to load a Giphy Gif, they can do it on their own multiple-step-time... Let's not help them create a cancer on the forums.

Routinely spot checking one of my Minion's Discord channel, I see way too many of them. lol

I do think slightly larger animated emoji's would be nice though. With an option to make them static.

C.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
Reactions: gkatsiochristos

·
Registered
Hardcoresledder
227 Posts
Old people won't use it. And truthfully most people aren't coming to these platforms for the gifs. Just the facts. Information is the reason. Data is the draw. gifs. Nope.

Steve

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10-4, thanks for the thoughts all.

if we did roll it out and had the option to toggle it on/off per forum Admin team or member choice would that be better?

They can make the forum a bit busy, I do not miss animated avatars at all.

Jeff M

Reactions: RoscoAU

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Would this be tucked away in the dropdown where the media button is now or?

·
Administrator
23 Posts
but on a more serious note, either use the plugin or fix the current implementation because
Insert... > "Media" > Enter URL > Preview > Post
is 1) Hidden 2) Laborious

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
That was a massive quick jump in the poll? Are we sure we don't have some political pollsters working here :).

·
Staff
283 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised that "Yes" is leading the way... @AG Jeff can we see who the votes came from later? That'll help us determine who wants this and who doesn't.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised that "Yes" is leading the way... @AG Jeff can we see who the votes came from later? That'll help us determine who wants this and who doesn't.
I'm impressed at how quick it was lol. I can tell you I voted NO. By all means add it but give us a button to turn it off, we at P4x4 are just basic 4x4ers.

·
Staff
283 Posts
"IF" we add it, it'll just be a button similar to adding bolded text or anything else.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
"IF" we add it, it'll just be a button similar to adding bolded text or anything else.
Why not make it something an admin can turn off for their forum, that is what I'd be interested in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts