OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just sharing a new spam/scam fighting update that we released today.

New users now all require 1 post before they can start a conversation. Premium, Mods/Admins, and Vendors (pending) are exempt from this change.

Existing custom promotions are not affected. This only altered the existing new user settings to remove the ability for them to send one message while they are still considered a “new user” and it used to promote them out of the new user restrictions after 7 days so we removed that as well. Now they have a hard 1 post requirement before they can start a Private Convo.

If a new user tries to send a Private Convo they will get receive pop-up messages along the lines of:
"You have not reached the required amount of posts to send conversations yet, if you need to contact the administrator please use the contact us"

This should help squash all the "I have this part send me PayPal" messages that members have been getting. It will also allow us to vet them through their first post.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Jeff

·
Registered
Firearms Talk
341 Posts
I am a member on a gun forum (I don’t remember which one) where there are three required posts before one can post a picture. One individual created three threads in short order and called them “#1,” “#2,” and “#3.” He followed the letter or the rules, if not the spirit.

New folks will always find a way to make the rules work for them, instead of the rules doing what we want them to.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jeff.......We have been talking about this on one of my forums, they would like to see 20 posts before being able to PC, but this is a start.
View attachment 6260
I think a higher number of posts would be better, anyone can take the time to post once, if the number were higher it would give a better chance for Mods to catch useless posts to just meet the requirement.
10 would be good for us I think.

TY for starting this.

Yeah, some legacy communities had different limits but let's do baby steps toward fighting spam. We are curious about how this works along with the updates to the StopForumSpam API that we recently rolled out.

Also, don't think we don't have some other tricks up our sleeve for the future. ;)

Jeff

·
Registered
Lotustalk Administrator
106 Posts
Hello all,

Just sharing a new spam/scam fighting update that we released today.

New users now all require 1 post before they can start a conversation. Premium, Mods/Admins, and Vendors (pending) are exempt from this change.

Existing custom promotions are not affected. This only altered the existing new user settings to remove the ability for them to send one message while they are still considered a “new user” and it used to promote them out of the new user restrictions after 7 days so we removed that as well. Now they have a hard 1 post requirement before they can start a Private Convo.

If a new user tries to send a Private Convo they will get receive pop-up messages along the lines of:
"You have not reached the required amount of posts to send conversations yet, if you need to contact the administrator please use the contact us"

This should help squash all the "I have this part send me PayPal" messages that members have been getting. It will also allow us to vet them through their first post.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff this should help although at LT we would rather see it set at ten posts/three days just like the marketplace rules. What is happening is Miata owners come on and PM directly to members selling wheels and seats that the miata crowd want. This circumvents the 10/3 rule entirely. Thanks, Richard

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jeff this should help although at LT we would rather see it set at ten posts/three days just like the marketplace rules. What is happening is Miata owners come on and PM directly to members selling wheels and seats that the miata crowd want. This circumvents the 10/3 rule entirely. Thanks, Richard
Are those Miata guys stealing your prime parts? Well, now they would have to make posts first to be able to send any messages.

We can still add those additional rules to your community if you would like, just post up the request on your home community Area 51 or the Core Thread and we can get it handled.

Note we tend not to tell the community how many posts are required to PM publicly to avoid spammers and scammers from seeing the info then getting around it.

Jeff

·
Registered
Lotustalk Administrator
106 Posts
I will get to you on area 51 with that request. They always do their intro as that is a requirement within 48 hours or they are banned and then they go right to PM. Can't fault the members trying to sell their parts just want everyone to have equal chance at the parts. We had a case last week with Elise seats and new miata guy got them next day and the following day longtime member does a WTB for same item and is left holding the bag. They are in high demand and the miata guys are always watching. I don't mind them buying parts for the miatas just want everyone to be on level playing field and following the rules. Richard

·
Registered
SkyscraperCity Administrator
624 Posts
This is a bit off-topic but it still fits here as well because it has the same intention.
If needed it could be moved to a new thread.

In my opinion it makes also sense to have such a limit also for links in posts of newly registered members.
On SkyscraperCity we have all those guys who sell CBD oil, ketos, supplements and offer sexual services, technical support, travel packages and so on.
They use links in the posts and/or in the thread titles.
Perhaps setting a posting limit to for an example at least 3 posts could hinder them to be too present on our forums.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a bit off-topic but it still fits here as well because it has the same intention.

In my opinion it makes also sense to have such a limit also for links in posts of newly registered members.
On SkyscraperCity we have all those guys who sell CBD oil, ketos, supplements and offer sexual services, technical support, travel packages and so on.
Perhaps setting a posting limit to for an example at least 3 posts could hinder them to be too present on our forums.
That is one of the other tricks up our sleeve that we are working on.

"Links in titles on forum threads to be sent to Spam Moderation queue"
New Ticket # NC-1537
Old Ticket # 177403784

Jeff

·
Registered
Lotustalk Administrator
106 Posts

We don't allow any selling of that sort on LT and members are great about not posting crap. We do allow links to other items of interest, cars etc as long as it's non commercial and doesn't conflict with paid vendors.

·
Administrator
GTR
328 Posts
Question. If a new user (legitimate) had sent a PM with zero posts prior to the new rule.
And then the recipient tried to reply AFTER the new rule, could it display the ‘you’ve exceeded you conversation limit as a new user’ message to the recipient trying to reply.
Had a report from said recipient concerned his account was corrupted.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts