OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya all,

We are looking for feedback from OneFora members on a possible global update to boilerplate warnings and suggested warning/ban points.

Let us know your thoughts and if you use custom warnings or points on your community.

Older thread where we touched on this a bit: (yes @Mike Lang I still have our doc)

We hope to start tackling this with the CM and Product teams in Q3.

Jeff

Reactions: Mike Lang

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
There's a current bug in that when you issue a warning to a member, no alert is sent to them unless you optionally choose to send a PM which would come from you personally by name.

Perhaps the single greatest moderation tool I've used over 20 years on every site has been the ability to make all warnings/infractions come from a single designated account vs. the specific mod or admin issuing it. This has not only removed any "gun-shyness" for the mods but also removes any resentment the member would have towards any particular staff member because their warning or infraction came from "the management" vs an actual person.

Right now we can only delete a post and choose to optionally notify the user a post was deleted which will send an anonymized alert but it's only an alert about a post being removed and not an alert that a warning was issued. Sometimes you want to issue a warning to a user without deleting a particular post.

Right now users can't see their own warning history which is OK but better would be if they could see the history but never who issued them. The issuer should only appear when a staff member is viewing them.

·
Registered
XDTalk
37 Posts
There's a current bug in that when you issue a warning to a member, no alert is sent to them unless you optionally choose to send a PM which would come from you personally by name.

Perhaps the single greatest moderation tool I've used over 20 years on every site has been the ability to make all warnings/infractions come from a single designated account vs. the specific mod or admin issuing it. This has not only removed any "gun-shyness" for the mods but also removes any resentment the member would have towards any particular staff member because their warning or infraction came from "the management" vs an actual person.

Right now we can only delete a post and choose to optionally notify the user a post was deleted which will send an anonymized alert but it's only an alert about a post being removed and not an alert that a warning was issued. Sometimes you want to issue a warning to a user without deleting a particular post.

Right now users can't see their own warning history which is OK but better would be if they could see the history but never who issued them. The issuer should only appear when a staff member is viewing them.
OMG that would be wonderful.

I have always been uncertain how notice is given when you take action and chose to notify member. I never know that they saw it or what was seen. I don't intend it to be a "warning", but when I have deleted 3 times and notified... Did they not see or just ignoring your actions?

Recently I did give warnings, selected to notify, the generic responce came up about the content being inappropriate... Then it seems recently that responce did not come up. I will keep track in the future if it is a problem on my site... But yes... On warnings and timeouts/bans, the responce coming from the site and not a specific mod would be fantastic.

·
Registered
DieselPlace
848 Posts
One thing I would like to see is a "Read receipt" function for staff. When they issue a warning a read receipt notification would show up within the staff alerts.
Also, Bring back "User notes" or something similar to help with warning tracking for staff so that all staff members can be on the same page with member warnings/ contact/issues.

This can help show patterns of behaviors to help decide disciplinary issues or help track possible spam that occurs on an irregular basis

·
Registered
Router Forums, Woodworking Talk
141 Posts
I don't have a problem with the warning coming from me although a warning from 'the system' is probably better.

About 30 years ago I was the Plastics Manager at a manufacturing plant and had about 175 people working for me in a 3-shift, 7-day a week operation. There were some things occurring on the night shift that I needed to address so I made a note addressing the issue, placed it on the sign-in board, and signed it 'Management'. The next day my manager (asst. plant manager) took the note down and handed it to me saying, "If you can't sign your name to it then don't put the note up." Lesson learned and I've handled things that way ever since.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
FocusRSOC, FocusSTOC, FiestaSTOC, MondeoSTOC
508 Posts
Since moving over to the new format just a few weeks ago, I haven't had any reason to look at or use the Warning System yet, but having just had a look it seems very comprehensive.

As things are now, how does the person being warned get informed that they're receiving a warning?

·
Registered
537 Posts
There must have been some kind of updates as I see my custom warning has be altered. Suggest you separate "Global warnings" from "Custom warnings" for any future updates leaving custom warnings alone. I'll have mine correct by the time you read this because they are used daily and frequently.

EDIT: Take that back, my custom verbiage is actually there but not being picked up. Must be using some "default" verbiage now rather than my custom. So apparently I have no control of it anymore.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Anonymous warnings? Hmmm, reminds of a staff member we used to have on HuntingPa dot com. As a matter of fact HuntingPa was his screen name and he was known to be a no nonsense staff member who even refused to dignify any argument a member might make after being warned by responding to it. Call him a badass, a hard case, or a hanging judge, there was and always will be situations that could be best handled by an anonymous guy like that. I think I'm going to ask him to come back out of retirement.
If anyone else feels like they could use help from a guy like that you can just sign out and open an account as a new member. After that you can make him a staff member and then give his password to a few other trusted staff members and see how it works out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have edited every warning message I have sent.
But see, I created one and it’s verbiage and now see verbiage from several months ago and not what shows when I edit it. Very strange to say the least.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For reference:

These are the stock warnings with no values.
Azure Rectangle Material property Font Parallel

Example of custom warnings like we have on AVS

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Example of custom warnings like we have on AVS
And it's important to note that they don't actually work right now. I had a mod forget that we're not using warnings right now because of all the bugs and he issued a 3 point warning to a user who was at zero and it added that user to the banned group. :unsure:

Lots of issues to be ironed out.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
To illustrate the issue for posterity, here is the 3 point warning that was issued (top line)...

Here are the details of that warning that show it should not result in a ban...

But here's what it did to the user. I had to go in and manually reverse the ban.

It should have taken 5 unexpired points to result in a 5 day suspension...

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Registered
DieselPlace
848 Posts
To illustrate the issue for posterity, here is the 3 point warning that was issued (top line)...

View attachment 7296

Here are the details of that warning that show it should not result in a ban...

View attachment 7297

But here's what it did to the user. I had to go in and manually reverse the ban.

View attachment 7298

It should have taken 5 unexpired points to result in a 5 day suspension...

View attachment 7299

I've found that the infraction/warning points issued prior to the Xenforo transition are permanent after the transition
The points get treated as current regardless with no remedy due to the data loss

·
Registered
537 Posts
A template or a warning? My reference is to the warning, not the template.
Well, I had created a WARNING. And it was working fine until the last few days. Following explains it I think...

·
Registered
Router Forums, Woodworking Talk
141 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts