84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hand Handwriting Gesture Finger Font

Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome!
Fremde, etranger, stranger.
Gluklich zu sehen, je suis enchante,
Happy to see you, bleibe, reste, stay.
Willkommen, bienvenue, welcome

Im Community, au Community, to Community.

On Thursday, October 7th, your community staff activated a system function within each of our top 100 forums on the Fora (Cali) platform to dispatch a Welcome Message email upon new user registration. This welcome is the first part of our progression for onboarding of new members, and should provide a solid basis of helping signpost brand new members to where they need to go, and what they can do.

This is just the first part of our onboarding process updates, and we'll be progressively rolling this out to more and more communities over time.

The text of the welcome message reads as follows:

---

Welcome to the {site_name} community! We're excited to have you with us and look forward to interacting with you in the forums. Some quick pointers to get you started:
  • First, dress up your profile with an avatar under your Account Details.
  • Swing by the introduction section and tell us a little about yourself, {name}!
  • Check out all the most popular discussions going on right now and dive in!
See you in the forums!

Yours,
The {site_name} Community Team
---

The bolded text are links appropriate to the specific site. For communities with introduction sections, those sections are linked, and likewise for those communities with standalone introduction threads.

In the coming weeks, to further help improve onboarding and helping new members and encourage long-time lurkers to dip a toe in, we'll also be experimenting with activating a Notice for registered members with less than a single post to similarly point them in the direction of the introduction area.

If your community doesn't yet have an area for introductions as a spot to say hi and meet new members, let us know and we'll help get one situated. Hopefully this will help encourage visitors who take the plunge and register to chime in and become involved in the discussions underway - do let us know if you spot a difference in seeing more new faces!

-JP

·
Registered
All Ford Mustangs Mustang Evolution
318 Posts
Nice, very similar to the welcome greeting I present to each member after their 1st post.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,579 Posts
Sorry, may have missed something, I've seen the listing of VS forums sometime ago, was that listing also a ranking????

Reactions: blasirl

·
Registered
Ramchargercentral
386 Posts
Sorry, may have missed something, I've seen the listing of VS forums sometime ago, was that listing also a ranking????
I agree, just saying "each of our top 100 forums on the Fora (Cali) platform", likely means nothing to most of us.

A year ago, I would have not liked the idea of an introduction e-mail/message, but the more I read from others, the more I like the idea.

·
Chief Community Officer
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh, the initial top 100 in order of activity, as these are the most likely to already have had established welcome areas and a solid core of attentive members responding in the introduction sections or threads. If you're here, chances are you're in one! If not, no worries - we'll be rolling them out in steady progression over the course of a few weeks.

Looking forward to seeing the feedback on whether or not there's some brave lurkers out there that start popping their heads up in the forums!

-JP

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,579 Posts
Ahh, the initial top 100 in order of activity, as these are the most likely to already have had established welcome areas and a solid core of attentive members responding in the introduction sections or threads. If you're here, chances are you're in one! If not, no worries - we'll be rolling them out in steady progression over the course of a few weeks.

Looking forward to seeing the feedback on whether or not there's some brave lurkers out there that start popping their heads up in the forums!

-JP
So not the top 100 in the listing of owned forums? Is it possible to see the top 100 as per your description.

Reactions: bpe

·
Registered
MG-Rover
235 Posts
I would just wanted to ask that you do not override Welcome message on the mg-rover.org which was set up with help of @Mike since there we have direction to our forum rules as well which we want new commers to become familiar with.

·
Chief Community Officer
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So not the top 100 in the listing of owned forums? Is it possible to see the top 100 as per your description.
Will look into getting a directory together at some point!

I would just wanted to ask that you do not override Welcome message on the mg-rover.org which was set up with help of @Mike since there we have direction to our forum rules as well which we want new commers to become familiar with.
Mike worked on this project along several others - we'll ensure that isn't overwritten.

·
Registered
Lotustalk Administrator
147 Posts
I have always given a welcome message to each member who announces themselves in the new members forum.

Personal touch works well.
I had been sending a Welcome PM to each new member with Site and Marketplace Rules ever since becoming an administrator. VS pulled our mandatory Introduction Rule and since intros have plummeted to less than .5%. The announcement that they were going to send Welcome messages to stragglers hopefully will get them introducing themselves again. The vast majority of out new members sign up and never return....one hit wonders and headcount bots I guess.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
4,235 Posts
Hello everybody,

Google One Tap is now live globally and we have "Welcome Email Messages" set up for new users on the top 400 communities (pretty much anybody that is on OneFora) as of today and more to follow this week. Example of what it looks like HERE

Note we are not doing any additional customizations per community at this time and this will not affect any "Welcome PM" message that you already have set up.

Ping us with any questions in this thread.

·
Registered
FocusRSOC, FocusSTOC, FiestaSTOC, MondeoSTOC
1,156 Posts
I've just registered on a couple of sites and everything is working fine. (y)
The 'Google One-tap' button was really confusing, but now that it's gone everything is straightforward. ?

·
Registered
SkyscraperCity Administrator
734 Posts
Some questions regarding the registrations:
  • how to handle users who already were registered on for an example the SkyscraperCity?
  • merging such accounts?
  • banning the new account and keeping the old one?
  • banning the old account and keeping the new one?

Some statements/questions regarding spammers among the users registering via Google One Tap:
  • I am afraid that quite a lot spam will be the case from now on because spammers will of course notice this easy way to register in a lot of forums within a short period of time
  • because of that the local staff members will be faced with more work regarding those spammers
  • because of that enabling Google One Tap seems not to be a very good idea to me (of course I know that VerticalScope needs to make money with his business otherwise our forums will not be able to survive)
  • will VerticalScope run a specific monitoring regarding spammers who registered via Google One Tap?
  • will VerticalScope run specific mass spam cleanings regarding spammers who registered via Google One Tap?

·
Registered
512 Posts
New registrations indeed tripled in the past two days. Whether that can be called a success or not depends on the quality of the new sign-ups. I understand the logic behind making it easier for people to join, but I also appreciate the theory that making it harder to join ads to the exclusivity of being part of it and the commitment to contribute quality. If someone is genuinely interested in joining the fun, they shouldn't mind a few spam-discouraging steps to do so. If the extend to which Google allows its services to be abused is anything to go by, I guess we'll just have to find out how this goes.

Also, we indeed received mails from people who thought this was a quick way or an invite to create a new account for whatever reason and now find themselves pointed out for having two accounts.

·
Registered
starbike, vulcan, yamaha-forum, yamahaforum, HD Street, Blue Oval Fanatics, GT350
631 Posts
I’ve seen the same increase, so far no issues. Not many of them have posted but a few have jumped in with vehicle issues, I’m sure they goggle an issue and we are popping up. Would be interesting to see if the folks who sign up regular are more likely to stick around rather than being a one post and gone type.

Rectangle Azure Slope Plot Font

·
Registered
571 Posts
New registrations indeed tripled in the past two days. Whether that can be called a success or not depends on the quality of the new sign-ups. I understand the logic behind making it easier for people to join, but I also appreciate the theory that making it harder to join ads to the exclusivity of being part of it and the commitment to contribute quality. If someone is genuinely interested in joining the fun, they shouldn't mind a few spam-discouraging steps to do so. If the extend to which Google allows its services to be abused is anything to go by, I guess we'll just have to find out how this goes.

Also, we indeed received mails from people who thought this was a quick way or an invite to create a new account for whatever reason and now find themselves pointed out for having two accounts.
100% agree.
Confusion over duplicate accounts.
Uninterested joiners.
Increased volume of work welcoming.

·
Chief Community Officer
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some questions regarding the registrations:
  • how to handle users who already were registered on for an example the SkyscraperCity?
  • merging such accounts?
  • banning the new account and keeping the old one?
  • banning the old account and keeping the new one?

Some statements/questions regarding spammers among the users registering via Google One Tap:
  • I am afraid that quite a lot spam will be the case from now on because spammers will of course notice this easy way to register in a lot of forums within a short period of time
  • because of that the local staff members will be faced with more work regarding those spammers
  • because of that enabling Google One Tap seems not to be a very good idea to me (of course I know that VerticalScope needs to make money with his business otherwise our forums will not be able to survive)
  • will VerticalScope run a specific monitoring regarding spammers who registered via Google One Tap?
  • will VerticalScope run specific mass spam cleanings regarding spammers who registered via Google One Tap?
Q. How to handle the users who were already registered on for example the SkyscraperCity?
A. No differently. OneTap just provides another method of registration. The Welcome Message will only be sent to those who are newly registered, not to previous registrations.

Q. Merging such accounts?
A. Those can be handled as one-offs via the Contact Us function. These are expected to be rare - if you're already registered, you've already got a login.

Q. What about banning the new account and keeping the old one? Or vice-versa?
A. Do not ban any newly registered accounts using OneTap for purposes of de-duplication. Don't ban any old accounts in lieu of new ones, either. If there are duplication issues that emerge, we can handle them as one-offs at the administrative level or via Contact Us. These are not expected to be common.

I am afraid that quite a lot spam will be the case from now on because spammers will of course notice this easy way to register in a lot of forums within a short period of time
Not quite. Google OneTap still requires a fully vetted and functioning Google Gmail Account. Creating these in bulk by spammers is still going to be a massive chore for them. We do not expect an increase in spam as a result of this roll-out.

because of that the local staff members will be faced with more work regarding those spammers, because of that enabling Google One Tap seems not to be a very good idea to me (of course I know that VerticalScope needs to make money with his business otherwise our forums will not be able to survive)
Based on our earlier tests, analysis, and examinations, we do not expect making it easier for Google account holders to register will trigger an increase in spam. We are monitoring for increases in spam, and can take steps to increase flagging if it begins to inch up.

For those who want to be involved in our communities, it is ideal to make it as easy to join as humanly possible, and remove as many barriers to entry for those who would wish to be engaged in our forums. We do not hold that exclusivity or creating additional barriers to entry are good ways to keep communities thriving and active. Our approach is less of a desire to create a "walled garden" than a community open to anyone with the same interests and passions. We'd like to make registration and onboarding as easy and simple as possible, while keeping a sharp eye on potential abuse and spam.

For any edge cases of duplicate account issues, encourage those users to send in a Contact Us with a request to resolve - or simply encourage them to return to using their previous (older) standard registered account.

I’ve seen the same increase, so far no issues. Not many of them have posted but a few have jumped in with vehicle issues, I’m sure they goggle an issue and we are popping up. Would be interesting to see if the folks who sign up regular are more likely to stick around rather than being a one post and gone type.
We did some analysis on this, you might find interesting - I certainly did! Rolling out Google OneTap can revitalize a forum and allow new blood in at a much increased pace, as many have indicated registrations increasing by nearly three-fold. What is happening here is that the normal "drive-by" style users who come to check out answers to questions or are conducting research on things are actually registering due to how easy it is, rather than just swinging by and leaving. It also has the added effect of converting a larger portion of what we all know as "lurkers" who return daily but never bothered to dip a toe in and get involved.

Here's the interesting thing though! The users who register normally, typically post at least a single post 38% of the time. That is, if you register using the typical method of email address (not using OneTap), your likelihood of posting something is around 38%, meaning you have much greater intent to engage. However, if you register using OneTap, we found that the probability reduces to 5% of the total registering. That's still a huge amount, which is fantastic news for helping communities grow and attracting more people who are interested in the same types of things to share and discuss. But this lower number is also why we enabled the Welcome Email Upon New Registration option that includes a few calls to action, like encouragement to post in the Intro section. We think that is very likely to increase the chance of someone registering via OneTap from 5% to 10% at least, which will be even more helpful. Would love to hear what you guys start seeing in the way of new posts to intro sections.

100% agree.
Confusion over duplicate accounts.
Uninterested joiners.
Increased volume of work welcoming.
Duplicate accounts shouldn't be a lasting issue, though if it causes more than just edge cases, we can certainly look into addressing this with better signposting. Uninterested joiners likely won't be an issue - especially if they find themselves on the receiving end of newsletters with top threads and these are mostly lurkers who have returned often but never plucked up the courage to hit that registration button. Increased work welcoming is an exceptionally nice problem to have, when many forums on the internet are decaying due to social media sopping up the users and sapping their brains. :)

Let us know what you guys have started seeing? We'll keep a sharp eye this end as well!

-JP

1 - 20 of 101 Posts