OneFora banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What exactly is the motivation behind having the Top Forums/Top Photos page as the homepage vs. the full forum listing page? Even as a heavy forum user, the first time I returned to ToyotaNation and saw this layout, it took me far too long to figure out how to get to the full listing page and alter my bookmark for the site to that /forums/ URL. I remember thinking that a less motivated user might have wondered off.

If having the full listing page as the homepage is non-negotiable, could the link at least be more prominent? A big bold colored button maybe? And perhaps breadcrumbs under the logo on the Top Forums/Top Photos page that match the rest of the site?

Have it read: Home > Forums > Our Top Forums

That way there would be an intuitive "Forums" breadcrumb there just like every other page on the site. Users will be used to clicking "Forums" there but it's missing on that page.

And will there no longer be a WordPress "Homepage" at all?

Reactions: liang_VS

·
Staff
GamingFora
356 Posts
Hey Mike,
I'm working on navigation improvements in general and will definitely keep your feedback in mind. I myself is also used to forum home page being the full forum list, but I do think the team is exploring ways to further improve the experience. Feedback such as this one is vital for us to find the next step.

I did a survey last week with our Community Management team regarding which pages and sections are important for the user to see first. And I also wonder what you (and any other invited members here) think on that. What's the most important thing for you to see first when you come back to the home page? (Besides the full forum list, of course)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Personally for me, I would like to see a lot of the stuff that currently lives under the Popular tab. I feel like as a forum-user that is more important to me.
So for me it would be a feed that would consist of:
- Posts I've missed since last visit
- Subscribed/Followed Threads
- Threads I might be interested in (similar to other threads I've recently visited)
- Your favorite/ most frequented forums (I usually visit about 4-5 sub-forums on any 1 forum)
- Posts from people you follow (or have previously liked their posts)
- Updates to threads you have read
- What's trending/popular
- Vendor posts; or popular for-sale posts (particularly Deals or Group Buys that might interest me)

I really think of the homepage as being the dashboard for everything I need to know, or might be interested in on the forum. Ideally I could really use it as my core navigation, rather than having to dive into a bunch of sub-forums. It would need to be smart at surfacing content for me :)

@Mike Lang We are still building out the Wordpress functionality. Internally its called "professional content" and it will continue to be featured on the homepage; but it will actually live within the forum itself, such that we get away from having 2 CMS's. We think we can make a much more integrated experience. Its being worked on now.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I like to see everything a discussion forum covers on the homepage vs. just some of it. If I don't think I'm seeing that, I immediately send my eyes to the top looking for a "FORUM" or "Forums" button and/or the breadcrumbs. It's pretty standard but we're missing it here.

I wouldn't mind a targeted homepage as much with whatever content is deemed to be the most productive if the path to the main listing was a bit more obvious.

I also like all the most used tools to be as few clicks away as possible from that page. As an example, buttons 1, 3&4 here could open their respective dropdown menus for desktop users when hovered over vs. the need to click them to open.

And the search window could open advanced search options when in use similar to this Xenforo setup.

As soon as you click on it, you get this

The "More" button takes you to the full advanced search page.

Reactions: liang_VS

·
Registered
286 Posts
Personally I like to see everything a discussion forum covers on the homepage vs. just some of it. If I don't think I'm seeing that, I immediately send my eyes to the top looking for a "FORUM" or "Forums" button and/or the breadcrumbs. It's pretty standard but we're missing it here.

I wouldn't mind a targeted homepage as much with whatever content is deemed to be the most productive if the path to the main listing was a bit more obvious.

I also like all the most used tools to be as few clicks away as possible from that page. As an example, buttons 1, 3&4 here could open their respective dropdown menus for desktop users when hovered over vs. the need to click them to open.
View attachment 3756
Mike, we've actually been working on this..... have a look. The first button would go straight to New Posts (direct click; no menu), and the second button straight to Forum Listing. Much better right?

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, we've actually been working on this..... have a look. The first button would go straight to New Posts (direct click; no menu), and the second button straight to Forum Listing. Much better right?
Yeah that button is more prominent that the current plain text line.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Over the weekend I re-read a 500 post feedback thread in another forum after migrating from vB to XF and having the most-used tools obvious and easily accessible was a recurring theme.

A large percentage of visitors spend only seconds on a webpage so the less obvious something is quickly, the more people wonder off.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts

View attachment 3759
That button system has made a significant difference in attitude on P4x4, I also think it has made a difference for our 'Guests' some of which will become members after a period of what we call 'lurking', I was a 'lurker' on P4x4 for a couple of years before joining. I wish this had shown up on P4x4 27 days ago......

G

·
I hope that you all notice a BIG difference in how we are rolling out changes and taking in feedback. Users complained about an issue, we looked at the data on usage, and the amount of feedback we were getting, we came up with a plan to change it we then rolled it out on a few sites to test the theory and allowed the data to help validate the change, now we have something better than before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts