OneFora banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the misfortune of accidently including a member in a group conversation.
Fortunately, was only discussing cover for a couple of hours.

I do not see any method to exclude that member once added, nor to close the conversation.

Only option(s) are for myself to leave convo & send a new message to the staff to leave that convo as well.

First time it has happened to me in many years of modding, although I have come close.
Seems to me that the ability to close a conversation, or exclude a previously added participant would have been a fundamental option.

Or am I just not seeing how to do either of those options?

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
I believe the default Xenforo behavior is that once created, they are only deleted once all participants have left. You can of course go in and edit your comments out if desired.

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Registered
484 Posts
I believe the default Xenforo behavior is that once created, they are only deleted once all participants have left. You can of course go in and edit your comments out if desired.
ONLY for 15 minutes after the post is made. After that, it's there FOREVER.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
You can leave the conversation but unable to remove others from them at this time.

There is no limit to the number of conversations. You can keep them indefinitely. If you choose to have one no longer display to you within your conversations, you can simply click near the upper right of the message to leave the conversation

Once you leave a conversation, it cannot be restored unless you are invited back to it.

For leaving conversations in bulk (full page) you can do the following.

Open your conversation box. Add a checkmark next to the conversation title.

That will open a drop menu near the bottom. Add a checkmark to "Select All".

Although you can add checkmarks next to each conversation, once you select any, a drop menu near the bottom will appear. If you want to leave conversation in bulk (such as a full page) Add a checkmark to "Select All".

Click the drop-down menu next to “Choose action” select “Leave conversations” . Click GO.

Jeff

·
Registered
484 Posts
Once you leave a conversation, it cannot be restored unless you are invited back to it.

Jeff
Not from my experience. We had an issue develop (in a conv with a member) where the admin permanently left (at HIS end) because the situation had not evolved at that point. He still showed as included in the conv though and we could not "re-include" him in it as the issue "escalated". We had to copy/paste comments into a separate conv to keep him up to date.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
Not from my experience. We had an issue develop (in a conv with a member) where the admin permanently left (at HIS end) because the situation had not evolved at that point. He still showed as included in the conv though and we could not "re-include" him in it as the issue "escalated". We had to copy/paste comments into a separate conv to keep him up to date.
Who started the convo, the OP might have to invite them back?

Could the Admin have "Ignored" the user?

Jeff

·
Registered
484 Posts
We staff do not ignore ANYONE. Ever. We may not respond but we never put a member on ignore. IIRC, it was me that started the conv. We asked him (admin) a question in that conv and when he didn't respond, asked him why in a separate conv. He said he never saw the question.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As Len says, no staff on our forum select the ignore option.
Instead they will bring another staff member in if they have had previous with someone.

I have previously tried to include a staff member who had left convo (that I started) and they were not able to re-join even when re-invited.

But the above is off topic in relation to my post.

In relation to the convo I refer to.
As convo starter I see the inability to exclude a wrongly included participant & not being able to fully close a convo as a flaw.

I am aware of convo situation regarding my leaving, cleaning up etc, but that does not resolve the situation in post 1.

Post 2 and begining of post 4 confirm it a system flaw (not glitch) and not me missing information.

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
We staff do not ignore ANYONE. Ever. We may not respond but we never put a member on ignore. IIRC, it was me that started the conv. We asked him (admin) a question in that conv and when he didn't respond, asked him why in a separate conv. He said he never saw the question.
As Len says, no staff on our forum select the ignore option.
Instead they will bring another staff member in if they have had previous with someone.

I have previously tried to include a staff member who had left convo (that I started) and they were not able to re-join even when re-invited.

But the above is off topic in relation to my post.

In relation to the convo I refer to.
As convo starter I see the inability to exclude a wrongly included participant & not being able to fully close a convo as a flaw.

I am aware of convo situation regarding my leaving, cleaning up etc, but that does not resolve the situation in post 1.

Post 2 and begining of post 4 confirm it a system flaw (not glitch) and not me missing information.
10-4, got it.

I will do some testing with the team next week.

Jeff

·
Registered
484 Posts
I should add: our admin will on occasion permanently leave a conv (for whatever reason) when one of us is involved.

He still shows as a participant though. He will not receive further posts in that thread and we cannot "re-add" him to it because he is still showing as a participant.

Does his "leave permanently" cause this? I know if he p.l. , he does not get future posts but if we can't re-add him because at our end, he is still "added"....

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
Yeah for whatever reason this is the way Xenforo designed convos and despite years of feature requests from sites, they've never evolved it. They seem content to let third party addon hacks adjust its behavior.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
Yeah for whatever reason this is the way Xenforo designed convos and despite years of feature requests from sites, they've never evolved it. They seem content to let third party addon hacks adjust its behavior.
Yup looks to be the case and not a huge as for this as it is a very rare ask.

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts