OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are continuing to experiment based on user-feedback with some lighter weight, and more text-driven action buttons. Please see below examples and please do let us know your thoughts if you like/dislike them more than the current buttons.

On Desktop with all actions left-aligned:

Or with the Bookmark & Share on the right side:

And on mobile:

What do you guys think about these buttons?

From my perspective:
- more clear as to meaning
- more size-effective / compact (they take up less space)
- overall they blend in a bit better with the design; but in that same vein, they do not stand out as much (we would want to test whether they result in fewer actions)

Let me know your thoughts.

Rob

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Yes, I always like to see the words there when applicable. Too many people just don't get things that seem intuitive to others. I'd still like to see the word "Forums" in the icon up top too. :)

Reactions: liang_VS

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for your feedback..... Do you prefer the term "Bookmark" or do you like "Save" better? I noticed Reddit uses Save. Xenforo defaults to Bookmark (which I feel like confuses some users with browser bookmarks)

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Yeah I like save better. The bookmark icon reminds me of the "bookmark this page" browser function. But then you'd need to rename the bookmarks dropdown tool to "Saved Posts" or something.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
Thanks all for your feedback..... Do you prefer the term "Bookmark" or do you like "Save" better? I noticed Reddit uses Save. Xenforo defaults to Bookmark (which I feel like confuses some users with browser bookmarks)
Yeah I like save better. The bookmark icon reminds me of the "bookmark this page" browser function. But then you'd need to rename the bookmarks dropdown tool to "Saved Posts" or something.
I have not used this function too much so far so I am kinda indifferent at this point.

@Goose17 thoughts?

Jeff M

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
My preference is for this on desktop

Reactions: AG Jeff
G

·
I'm with you on this one too.
Make that 3 :D

Im with Mike though, I think saved is more of a universal term, and bookmark to me feels like its to hold my place on a page so if I am reading a thread that is really long and need to step away I could navigate back to the last place I was. Saved feels more like, I liked this and I want to remember where it was.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 + 8 other Mustangs
75 Posts
I have not used this function too much so far so I am kinda indifferent at this point.

@Goose17 thoughts?

Jeff M
I prefer separating the 3 common action buttons: Reply/Quote/Like from the other two: Save/Share. To be honest, I use the first 3 daily and I’ve never used the other two. When I want to share something, I just copy the address up top.

On a slightly different but similar topic, any chance to bring the like buttons Facebook uses to include Love/Shock/Sad/etc. Our only options are “like” or nothing and like Madonna says, it’s time to Express Yourself!

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
This may please the Fakebook inspired crowd, which might not be such a bad thing in some respects. To me the thumbs up has multiple meanings, thank you / good job / nice work and does a good overall job, if I feel sad for someones post I usually tell them.

Having said that, if it is felt that this type of thing enhances the overall long term outlook for Forums battle with the other forms of social media then I'm all for it, but it takes a while for longer term members to come to grips with change as we have touched on many times.

Here in Oz we have many Fakebook versions of our Forum, the issue is the same damned questions get asked over and over and the answers get buried and then the same questions come up again, oh and let us not forget the warriors who offer advice with no real knowledge of what they are spruiking. We have had quite a few people move back to us because our info is top notch and relatively easy to find (our Archives sections hold a wealth of proven info), the enhancements we are seeing now since the Xenforo inception are helping that along I'm sure.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In our initial research, we did learn that most members were really particular about the types of Reactions they wanted. They were pretty focused on positive reactions only (eg. Like) and were very much against anything negative (eg. thumbs down)
We kept it simple, but have the functionality to eventually add more.

Personally, the ones that I like are:
- Funny
- Thanks
I'm not even entirely sure there is much of a difference between Like and Thanks.

XenForo has a pretty good list... what other ones would you guys like to see?

·
Registered
75 Posts
In our initial research, we did learn that most members were really particular about the types of Reactions they wanted. They were pretty focused on positive reactions only (eg. Like) and were very much against anything negative (eg. thumbs down)
We kept it simple, but have the functionality to eventually add more.

Personally, the ones that I like are:
  • Funny
  • Thanks
I'm not even entirely sure there is much of a difference between Like and Thanks.

XenForo has a pretty good list... what other ones would you guys like to see?
I do like the idea of no negative reactions. Like/Shock/Love/Funny would be good:

? ? ❤ ?

Tim

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Another “no negative reactions“ vote here.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
I do like the idea of no negative reactions. Like/Shock/Love/Funny would be good:

? ? ❤ ?

Tim
Me 3. I also like to work on the 'kiss' principle, as said a thumbs up is equal like and thanks, also means chin up if a post is of a sad experience.

G

·
If a like is all-encompassing would it not be helpful to have a reaction that helped posts or replies that are knowledgable or technical? How do you all think we would want to set apart replies that answer the user's question in the best possible way?

Helena

·
Registered
75 Posts
If a like is all-encompassing would it not be helpful to have a reaction that helped posts or replies that are knowledgable or technical? How do you all think we would want to set apart replies that answer the user's question in the best possible way?

Helena
How about a system where members can hit a “helpful” reaction button (whatever it is called) and after so many “helpful” reactions, the member gets a trophy/award/status/points.

We could also enable moderators/admin to hand out these trophies/awards/statuses/points as well, which would be beneficial when a member is helpful, but the post doesn’t get much traffic.

Reactions: Guest
G

·
How about a system where members can hit a “helpful” reaction button (whatever it is called) and after so many “helpful” reactions, the member gets a trophy/award/status/points.

We could also enable moderators/admin to hand out these trophies/awards/statuses/points as well, which would be beneficial when a member is helpful, but the post doesn’t get much traffic.
Food for thought but a "need answer" button to get attention and get expert answers is an idea also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Food for thought but a "need answer" button to get attention and get expert answers is an idea also.
I think the “need answer” should be relegated to the title... as in “How do I wire XYZ?” I am often tweaking titles of threads on the forum I moderate to reflect what is in the body. This helps later when searching for info. Titles I don’t let fly are like the following:

Hey!
Question (what is the subject of your question?)
08 GT500 (we all have GT500s, what is your subject?)
Got a problem! (Again, what is the subject matter?)

I tweak titles like this so that other members can get an idea what the thread is about by looking at the titles.

Reactions: RoscoAU and Guest
1 - 20 of 22 Posts