OneFora banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see this mentioned in any of the release notes.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,534 Posts
I don't see this mentioned in any of the release notes.

Seeing it also, checking with Product. Should have more info on this by tomorrow.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

Jeff M

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A user who follows a lot of forums will create a ton of scroll for redundant info that's 2 taps away.

A "show followed forums on front page" preference setting would a nice touch. :cool:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I know what my favorite forums are, there is no need to see them twice on the main page. The best way in which the idea of "favorite forums" is useful is if it would produce one page with the latest updated threads taken from your favorite forums, like a "latest posts" for selected forums.

we missed some communication on this one
That's one way of putting it. To be honest, I don't understand why you are implementing a "feature" that nobody asked for and don't ask for our feedback before you roll it out, while we have such a long list of open tickets that represent real issues experienced by real forum users.

·
Staff
GamingFora
351 Posts
A user who follows a lot of forums will create a ton of scroll for redundant info that's 2 taps away.

A "show followed forums on front page" preference setting would a nice touch. :cool:
That's a genius suggestion, I'll bring it into our product discussion.

I know what my favorite forums are, there is no need to see them twice on the main page. The best way in which the idea of "favorite forums" is useful is if it would produce one page with the latest updated threads taken from your favorite forums, like a "latest posts" for selected forums.

That's one way of putting it. To be honest, I don't understand why you are implementing a "feature" that nobody asked for and don't ask for our feedback before you roll it out, while we have such a long list of open tickets that represent real issues experienced by real forum users.
My apologies on behalf of the product team Jan. This is something we were experimenting.(but the miscommunication is definitely on us)

As for a new page where it shows threasd from your favorite forums, our new homepage actually do that. New threads created in forums you're following will be surfaced on top of other threads. We're still tweaking around the weight number, let us know if it needs a higher boost.

·
Registered
Hardcoresledder
227 Posts
I agree here. VS has been "heavy handed" on some of the items that users really want. And the mods and admins take the brunt of that. Dump the junk and do the good (stuff).

Steve

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey guys, this is actually a VERY common request on many of our forums. I know there are a lot of tickets to get through.... but, this one was in fact a common user request on many sites.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We could add this to homepage as a filter (ONLY show FOLLOWED)

·
Staff
99 Posts
Hi Team, I just want to remind everyone with the shift from Labs to Platforum we updated our release process to include Thirty Thirty updates here . Under the "Next Thirty" section we mentioned we would be adding the "My Followed Forums" section to the homepage. I apologize if this was not clear enough. Something to look forward to, we will be posting our next Thirty Thirty update in the first week of August. 😀

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Under the "Next Thirty" section we mentioned we would be adding the "My Followed Forums" section to the homepage.
This is about the main forum listings page, not the homepage. The homepage is different from the main forum listing page. :cool:

·
Staff
279 Posts
@Mike Lang - You are correct. This was missed in the notes and is probably due to the fact that this ticket bypassed our normal process. We are going to investigate how this happened to ensure it does not happen again. I believe the confusion came from the fact that "follow" impacts multiple things.

As it stands, the main forum listing page will pin followed forums to the top of the page. This was a request we received from users.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I couldn't tell if this was supposed to have landed on the homepage and ended up on the forum listing page by accident or ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks. I couldn't tell if this was supposed to have landed on the homepage and ended up on the forum listing page by accident or ?
Was definetly intended to be on forum listing page. A large number of users complained about the lack of ability to collapse sub-forums they were not interested in; and that would make it difficult to find their favorite forums. With a dual purpose of getting more people to use "follow forum" which will also help our homepage news-feed, we decided to add My Followed Forum to the top of the forum listing page.
This was relatively low-effort work, that had been ticketed quite a long time ago... But bubbled up with some recent complaints on larger migrations.
Do you think the Popular Forums in the right hand column of homepage should replace with My Favorite Forums as well for logged in users?

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you think the Popular Forums in the right hand column of homepage should replace with My Favorite Forums as well for logged in users?
If we're not seeing a ton of crossover traffic due to the Popular Communities widget, I think some form of a Following widget may be more useful. Perhaps with an alternate link to the Following page itself. An alternate route to followed threads, forums, threads you started & threads you posted in.

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Registered
286 Posts
If we're not seeing a ton of crossover traffic due to the Popular Communities widget, I think some form of a Following widget may be more useful. Perhaps with an alternate link to the Following page itself. An alternate route to followed threads, forums, threads you started & threads you posted in.
We're giving the Popular Communities one more try with actual data driving it-- rather than just shoving certain sites in there like it was. We'll see how that works, it should be live next week or two I think. If that doesn't pan out, then yes that would be a pretty good idea.
I'm also still keen to think about having Active Topics (i know, old VB language lol.... "What's Popular") in the right hand column for desktop users that is node-aware (meaning it changes as you go to different nodes)

·
Registered
473 Posts
We had a member suggesting that your "followed forums" should be on the homepage along with the "recommended for you", instead of the forum listing page. I agree that makes much more sense. I don't see the added value of displaying the same forum twice on the same page. I actually unfollowed all of my followed forums because of this.

·
Registered
286 Posts
We had a member suggesting that your "followed forums" should be on the homepage along with the "recommended for you", instead of the forum listing page. I agree that makes much more sense. I don't see the added value of displaying the same forum twice on the same page. I actually unfollowed all of my followed forums because of this.
The followed forums will significantly effect what is recommended for you. If you unfollow all of your forums, you will likely get a much worse homepage experience. I'm wondering if for users like yourself that do not like it, we could make it collapsible on the listing page. I will look into that. But overall, on most sites the feedback has been very good and users are quite happy with this.

We do plan in the next phase to add the My followed forums to the homepage, we're still working on the look and feel for that. The original idea was to utilize the right column, but that won't work for mobile, and premium users who have turned that off, so we're trying to get a design that doesn't overwhelm, or take away from the 400% increase in thread navigation we've seen from the new Homepage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts