OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Staff
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello OneFora Community,

We're excited to share the MVP (Minimum Viable Product) features for Deals.

What is a Deal?

A deal is an inducement such as a price reduction, free goods offer, or other special offering made by a seller to a community member or the ultimate consumer, generally for a limited period of time.

Members can post a deal that could benefit their fellow community members.

MVP
The following features will be turned on for the OneFora community. Deals post type will be available throughout the community for MVP.
  • Create a new post type as 'Deals'

• Title, Product & Retailer

All these are free text fields to input the Title of the deal, Product that is on deal and name of the Retailer that is offering the deal.

• Description, Tags, Options & Post Deal

• Post a Deal

Post MVP
Post-MVP Deals will have their own dedicated deals node similar to Marketplace Classifieds restricting the deals post type to specific forums and this is already a part of the roadmap but we wanted to share this feature to get feedback.

We look forward to your feedback on this feature! Please put any comments, questions or concerns down below, and we will be happy to answer them.
- VS Product Team

PS: We're curating a roll-out site list for this feature and looking forward to seeing community feedback as well.

·
Chief Community Officer
84 Posts
As for the "why" of this feature, well there's a huge number of our community members who count themselves as deal hunters or deal seekers for their given passion, and currently share their findings as standard posts. Those posts tend to range wildly in terms of formatting, sometimes they don't include all the things another member might want to see, or the pertinent stuff about when a deal expires - is it really a deal?, what's it look like, and so on. This feature expands thread content types to include a deals style posting to make it easier to find and see deals when they come up. If you're familiar with SlickDeals, or RedFlagDeals, or RetailMeNot, or any of the deals sites out there, you'll know the best of the best on deals tend to rise to the top.

This should be of great use to our communities for organization, especially around the shopping season.

-JP

·
Registered
571 Posts
So, if I correctly understand, any member, not just vendors, can post deals?
If so, will be able to get a 20/20, or whatever a forum wishes, limit before a deal can be posted please?
Or have that node removed if it does not work for our forum?

I like the idea, but it feels like leaving the door wide open for abuse.
We already have a group buy formula (which is often the route to deals, minimum buy).

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
2,173 Posts
So AVS Forum already has a dedicated Great Found Deals node that this fits perfectly other than the deals cannot ever be directly from the seller/retailer. Otherwise it would be devalued as a haven for unpaid marketing. These are deals found by users and deemed worthy enough to bring to the community.

We also have a few specialized deals subforums such as found deals for LCD, OLED, projectors...

·
Registered
DieselPlace
1,228 Posts
So AVS Forum already has a dedicated Great Found Deals node that this fits perfectly other than the deals cannot ever be directly from the seller/retailer. Otherwise it would be devalued as a haven for unpaid marketing. These are deals found by users and deemed worthy enough to bring to the community.

We also have a few specialized deals subforums such as found deals for LCD, OLED, projectors...
We also have a "Vendor Deals" section that this will fit into nicely

·
Registered
WranglerForum jkowners
126 Posts
Wrangler forum is live with a couple of posts: Great Deals

First, I'm all in favor of the idea, but IMO the content posted this round misses the mark. It's ALMOST applicable to our members, but not quite. Both items are something we might use, but not in the quality/size we would need. Like a tire inflator for a bicycle or small car, but it won't air up 4 big off road tires. Or a strap that's load rated for 7,000 pounds when we need 30,000 pounds. If the content isn't going to hit the mark then I'm afraid it will look like generic spam. I also worry that current vendors may wonder why their product isn't being shown.

IMO the solution is that we use our current vendors. For example Warn Winch is one of our vendors, a "deal" on a winch would be well received amongst our group. Same could be said for a variety of our vendors.

Sorry to be negative, like I said I think this could be really cool if we fine tune the offerings to our forum instead of generic "deals"

Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Logo

·
Registered
Survivalist Boards
9 Posts
On Survivalist Boards we have a thread called "On Sale Now!!??Deal of the Day that was started in 2011, it is now 259 pages long and contains 5,167 posts. The rules of the thread are members can post links to deals they find on stuff that may interest others on the forum and a brief description of the deal. No commentary or discussion of anything is allowed, just links and brief descriptions.

It has been one of our most popular threads since it first started. Members check it daily, some several times a day. It takes some work to keep it clean because some members feel the need to comment on things but for the most part it is worth the effort.

If you want to check it out you can find it here On sale now !!//Deal of the day!!

As for this new Great Deals thing going live I think it will be great on our forum. It looks like once members learn how to post in it, it will cut down on the work we have to do to keep the chatter down in the original thread we have.

Looking forward to seeing this on our site.

·
Chief Community Officer
84 Posts
So, if I correctly understand, any member, not just vendors, can post deals?
If so, will be able to get a 20/20, or whatever a forum wishes, limit before a deal can be posted please?
Or have that node removed if it does not work for our forum?

I like the idea, but it feels like leaving the door wide open for abuse.
We already have a group buy formula (which is often the route to deals, minimum buy).
Correct - the thread content type "Deal" will be available to all members, unless there's a site-specific rule to disallow this. The objective here is to make it so that members can post deals they find and present them usefully to other members. Any abuse would travel along the same lines as commercial post spam, so as a for instance, if you're just registering to post a "deal" to a company you, that's commercial spam and disallowed.

Good rule to have! "Don't post your own deals. For that, you have to be a recognized supporting commercial vendor." or some such. Would be open to making this a universally-applied rule, since it seems like it would have application everywhere, and is just a great best practice.

I bet there will hardly be deals in the SkyscraperCity thinking of buildings, infrastructure, and so on...
Kohls is currently offering a Metal Earth 3D Laster Cut Model Empire State Building for around $6.99, which is actually a lot cheaper than Amazon's price for the same thing. Viator has a tour of Shinjuku Tokyo architectural marvels at -20% from the usual, and so on. So...yes. ;) Though, if you guys don't think a deals section is a good fit, we can skip it. But I think most of the sites we have would have at least some benefit from it.

IMO the solution is that we use our current vendors. For example Warn Winch is one of our vendors, a "deal" on a winch would be well received amongst our group. Same could be said for a variety of our vendors.
Vendor "deals" are different from Deals as a feature, a thread content type. We'd certainly allow recognized supporting vendors to post deals content types in their respective forums, but they'd still need to be in compliance with the rules everywhere else.

On Survivalist Boards we have a thread called "On Sale Now!!??Deal of the Day that was started in 2011, it is now 259 pages long and contains 5,167 posts.
As for this new Great Deals thing going live I think it will be great on our forum. It looks like once members learn how to post in it, it will cut down on the work we have to do to keep the chatter down in the original thread we have.
This is epic. They are definitely going to enjoy this feature, I think. I suspect we'll also get a bunch of fantastic feedback about what we can do to make the feature better as well, from spots with heavy existing deals posting like this.

-JP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wrangler forum is live with a couple of posts: Great Deals

First, I'm all in favor of the idea, but IMO the content posted this round misses the mark. It's ALMOST applicable to our members, but not quite. Both items are something we might use, but not in the quality/size we would need. Like a tire inflator for a bicycle or small car, but it won't air up 4 big off road tires. Or a strap that's load rated for 7,000 pounds when we need 30,000 pounds. If the content isn't going to hit the mark then I'm afraid it will look like generic spam. I also worry that current vendors may wonder why their product isn't being shown.

Sorry to be negative, like I said I think this could be really cool if we fine tune the offerings to our forum instead of generic "deals"

View attachment 9154
Great feedback. You weren't negative, you were constructive and this is a perfect spot to share your opinions.

Are there specific stores that you think would resonate with your community? Something like 4wheelparts? Special Deals on Truck, Jeep & UTV Parts and Accessories | 4WP

We will take a look at how and when we can integrate vendor deals.

We will try to be more on point with the sales we share and the dream is that users share what they think is relevant and then we can fade into the distance :)

·
Registered
WranglerForum jkowners
126 Posts
Great feedback. You weren't negative, you were constructive and this is a perfect spot to share your opinions.

Are there specific stores that you think would resonate with your community? Something like 4wheelparts? Special Deals on Truck, Jeep & UTV Parts and Accessories | 4WP

We will take a look at how and when we can integrate vendor deals.

We will try to be more on point with the sales we share and the dream is that users share what they think is relevant and then we can fade into the distance :)
BINGO

Thanks, I look forward to how this evolves! :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts