OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Staff
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font T-shirt Triangle Symmetry Electric blue

We're excited to pilot guest reply, a new feature which we hope will increase signups and user engagement.

What is it?
Guest reply allows guests (visitors who are not logged in or signed up) to view the post box on threads and articles. They can then draft a reply like a regular user (with the exception of the ability to upload attachments and images) to partake in discussions of interest. Please note guest reply is unavailable on Marketplace listings and deals.
Guest reply will also adhere to all existing node permissions (i.e. only be available in nodes that regular users have permission to post in, if a node requires moderator approval for public posts then it will remain hidden until a moderator can approve it).
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Light

Once a guest hits the button to post a reply they will be prompted to sign up so their post can become public. There are 3 ways they can sign up:
  • Google One Tap
  • Google
  • Username/email
Rectangle Font Screenshot Operating system Software

Until a guest completes account verification and is put into a valid registered user state, their post will not be displayed publicly.
If a guest has only partially completed account verification (ex: signed up with email but hasn't completed email verification) then the user will see a note above their post indicating they must complete account verification or wait for a moderator to approve their post for it to become public.

Water Ecoregion Liquid Font Rectangle

These guests who are in the unregistered/unconfirmed state will no longer be able to access the guest reply feature since it is only visible to new guests.

Next Steps
We aim to roll this feature out to the list of pilot sites below Thursday April 27. Please let us know if you have any feedback or recommendations on how we can improve the feature. If no major bugs are identified, we will look to roll this feature out globally within 1-2 weeks.

If you have any questions or concerns please let us know!

·
Registered
starbike, vulcan, yamaha-forum, yamahaforum, HD Street, Blue Oval Fanatics, GT350
951 Posts
Interesting, will you have a way to monitor how many Guests use this sign up option. Did notice that Onefora was on your test list, is this for staff testing? Thought this was an invite site only and Guests have very, very limited access.

·
Staff
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, will you have a way to monitor how many Guests use this sign up option. Did notice that Onefora was on your test list, is this for staff testing? Thought this was an invite site only and Guests have very, very limited access.
Hello @lesblank ! Yes we have data tracking set up to see how many guests convert to users using this method and how many drop off throughout the process. OneFora was included more so to allow us to test the negative cases (ex: as a guest I cannot view majority of the nodes and therefore should not be able to create a reply in most scenarios). It's more for testing purposes then to monitor data and performance of the feature.

·
Senior Community Manager
OneFora Sherpa
5,778 Posts
Hello @lesblank ! Yes we have data tracking set up to see how many guests convert to users using this method and how many drop off throughout the process. OneFora was included more so to allow us to test the negative cases (ex: as a guest I cannot view majority of the nodes and therefore should not be able to create a reply in most scenarios). It's more for testing purposes then to monitor data and performance of the feature.
We need to NOT test this on OneFora to avoid any public members to be able to join in the announcement section.

OneFora is Private and Invite Only.

·
Staff
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback! To ensure no disruption I’ll be testing for half an hour on Thursday Apr 27 (8-8:30am EST) to make sure negative test cases are covered before global rollout and verify the test accounts with CM. I’ll make sure guest reply is not toggled on for this site beyond that half hour test period.

·
Registered
coffeeforums
91 Posts
I wish you well with it and i hope it's a success...however...the sceptic in me see's this as a recipe for disaster or open to abuse.

The internet is full of trolls and people with vendettas. Our forum in particular split into 2 other forums (sad but true) and both forums hate each other with a passion and our forum as well. So the UK has now got 3 coffee forums (ours is the oldest, largest and the biggest knowledge base).

I have multiple new members signing up (not as many as in our heyday) and 99% of these new members don't interact or say a word...ok some will be sleepers and others possibly just readers or those getting a feel before they eventually decide to interact. Some never do.

I'll stick my neck out and go as far as to say i can guarantee ours will be "targeted" by the other 2 forums...aka...keyboard warriors hiding behind anonymity ergo a "Guest" account...i can already see it getting ugly...i hope i'm wrong.

• Love
Reactions: Avel Du

·
Registered
FocusRSOC, FocusSTOC, FiestaSTOC, MondeoSTOC
2,142 Posts
Next Steps
We aim to roll this feature out to the list of pilot sites below Thursday April 27. Please let us know if you have any feedback or recommendations on how we can improve the feature. If no major bugs are identified, we will look to roll this feature out globally within 1-2 weeks.
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback! To ensure no disruption I’ll be testing for half an hour on Thursday Apr 27 (8-8:30am EST) to make sure negative test cases are covered before global rollout and verify the test accounts with CM. I’ll make sure guest reply is not toggled on for this site beyond that half hour test period.
Date check? 😊

·
Registered
Ramchargercentral
526 Posts
The way I read this, it is not letting someone post as a guest, but letting them make a post, and have it held as a draft until the log in, or sign up. Then the post will be posted under his account.

I do not see it as good or bad. Most trolls that try to post, thinking they can hide behind the guest name, will not go any further. Possible new members may continue on to join, But I am not confident that many would start out by wanting to post as a guest, then be wanting to put that comment in so bad, that they go ahead and join up.

This feature works for news media, where people respond to articles, and can be enticed to join so they can post their thoughts. But for most of our boards, I do not see many threads where a guest will want to reply so bad that he signs up. I hope I see this wrong, and it helps a lot. Be interesting to see.

I do not see it hurting us any. But do think there is many issues that should have been a higher priority.

·
Registered
Sailnet
262 Posts
That could be a little annoying. Its says you can post as a guest, so you write a nice long, well considered post and maybe spent 30 minutes crafting it... then you click "Post" and you have the rug pulled from under your feet.

Yeah.

Im doing administration atm basically all on the computer, all important. Just today I have had to 'join' 3 different websites, sorry, 4, with user details , email, passwords etc. The internet is really pissing me off with this stuff.

The spread of my information over the internet is bizzare. If I use same/similar usernames and passwords for all 4 today and similar/same for my banks, tax, medical, etc etc etc I end up with hacking strife.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like false enticement. I am not sure I don't despise it.

IMHO, we don't need tricks to get new members.

Mark

·
Senior Community Manager
OneFora Sherpa
5,778 Posts
The way I read this, it is not letting someone post as a guest, but letting them make a post, and have it held as a draft until the log in, or sign up. Then the post will be posted under his account.

I do not see it as good or bad. Most trolls that try to post, thinking they can hide behind the guest name, will not go any further. Possible new members may continue on to join, But I am not confident that many would start out by wanting to post as a guest, then be wanting to put that comment in so bad, that they go ahead and join up.
🏆 - Best Answer. It's the ole bait and switches to get users to sign up if they want to post. It will make them think (is this something worth posting) before they sign up.

However, might have issues with the first post not being in the introduction section but we can get around that with welcome PM/emails to direct them to the Intro/Rules/Update profile section.

Jeff

Reactions: Cricket

·
Registered
616 Posts
Definitely a different avenue to garner more registered members onto the sites. Two quick items...

I would definitely request these guests posts --> registrations get pushed into the Approval Queue to make sure their first post is not including a Spammy URL link. (or broken URL link to sidestep the AI) And some sort of verbiage/indicator advising forum staff that this was a converted guest post pending...

I had a long time member who posted that he 'had to sign in just to post' on a thread he's been following... Yes, I gave him a little grief for being one of 'those guests'... lol

C.

Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Brand Screenshot

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wonder just how we end up with a priority list.

Neutral(ish) on this, but there are many tools that have been requested by members that never make it to the Hoorah stage.
Totally onboard with the opinion expressed above about rival sites (not necessarily VS controlled) where the departed will see this as an opportunity.

I do not recall any of our OF (not VS) staff seeking this. Not once.

Maybe it is another angle on the numbers game.

Time will tell.

·
Staff
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey everyone,

Just want to thank everyone for the continued feedback. With the exception of OneFora, this feature is now available on pilot sites. We plan to monitor and track data closely to assess impacts to engagement and signups and keep you posted on the results.

We will test on OneFora tomorrow (8-8:30am EST) and then turn it back off.
I would definitely request these guests posts --> registrations get pushed into the Approval Queue to make sure their first post is not including a Spammy URL link.
If a guest is signing up with username/email and does not complete account verification then their post will go to mod queue to be approved. Any other method (OneTap, Google) will be posted since account verification is completed before the post is public. Again we'll monitor feedback and make any necessary changes to the flow.

·
Registered
Ramchargercentral
526 Posts
If a guest is signing up with username/email and does not complete account verification then their post will go to mod queue to be approved. Any other method (OneTap, Google) will be posted since account verification is completed before the post is public. Again we'll monitor feedback and make any necessary changes to the flow.
Just to clarify, you say the uncompleted post goes to get mod approval. If a mod approves it, does it still need to finish the account verification before it becomes public?

I do not see the reason for the mod approval, And I hope the mod approval does not make the post public.

·
Senior Community Manager
OneFora Sherpa
5,778 Posts
Just to clarify, you say the uncompleted post goes to get mod approval. If a mod approves it, does it still need to finish the account verification before it becomes public?

I do not see the reason for the mod approval, And I hope the mod approval does not make the post public.

^ interested to know this also.

·
Registered
866 Posts

^ interested to know this also.

Does that make a difference.
G1T and G will get posted and auto approved anyway from what I am reading.

My (ish) is drifting to the negative side with haste.

As said above:
Any other method (OneTap, Google) will be posted since account verification is completed before the post is public. Again we'll monitor feedback and make any necessary changes to the flow.

·
Registered
Ramchargercentral
526 Posts
Once they are registered/ logged in, I do not have any issue, and do not see any need for approval. As long as nothing is being made public without an account being made, or logged in, I see no issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts