OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Staff
GamingFora
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Circle

Hey everyone,
One of the feedback we got from NPS is that user wants to be able to search in a thread. While that option is available, it's not exactly easy to find. So we're currently working on improving the visuals for that.

With that said, we're also learning other forum systems to see what features we can borrow to make the browsing experience better.

One of the really nice features we've seen in a very popular Asian forum software system is the ability to filter out replies for a particular user in a thread. This can be incredibly useful for finding content in mega threads. It's rather simple to implement, so we wanted to introduce it to our system as well.

This feature will be available today or on Monday after release 134 is deployed on OneFora. It is only the initial version, so we expect some kinks to be worked out in the following sprints.

More improvements to come in the future, as we are constantly looking for ways to improve the software.

Let us know what you think!

Administrator
AVS Forum
While not as robust as the Xenforo "Who Posted" tool, definitely a step in the right direction. (y)

For reference, the Who Posted tool allows a user to click on the number in the reply column and you then get a popup list of all users who posted in that thread and how many posts they made.

You can then click on the number of their replies to get a filtered view of only their posts in the thread.

The added functionality being you can see all thread participants at a glance vs needing to find one of their posts to launch from. You can also just search for a specific user from the popup without needing to manually find a post by them.

Communication Device Font Screenshot Software Electronic device

Registered
Nice one, thanks! This reminds me of a Dutch technology website and forum which has options to show: all posts | posts by thread started (TS) | posts with images | posts with thumbs-up | pinned posts (see below as the menu pointed out)

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

I especially like the option to show just the posts with images and posts which thumbs-up as that is something that could work really well for the construction projects threads on SkyscraperCity.

Registered
This for sure will make fora great(er) again! :D

I mentioned this kind of improvement several times and I am glad to read that it is not far anymore to have it... :)

Especially if we keep in mind that fora's search function still does not work very well.
:cool:

Staff
GamingFora
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This for sure will make fora great(er) again! :D

I mentioned this kind of improvement several times and I am glad to read that it is not far anymore to have it... :)

Especially if we keep in mind that fora's search function still does not work very well.
Hey guys,
We have got feedback on the NPS survey regarding search, and right now we some work in the pipeline to improve the user experience for it. And we're also adding more resource working on improving the search result as well. Were you specifically referring to UI/UX side of things?

Registered
SkyscraperCity Administrator
Hey guys,
We have got feedback on the NPS survey regarding search, and right now we some work in the pipeline to improve the user experience for it. And we're also adding more resource working on improving the search result as well. Were you specifically referring to UI/UX side of things?
It happens/ed to me quite often that I start a search in the SkyscraperCity containing search words which for sure exist in the related thread.
But the search sometimes does not deliver any result.
Sometimes it delivers (way too much) results which have nothing to do with what I was searching for.
Because of that I stopped using fora's search option and switched to the customized Google search (xyz site:skyscrapercity.com) which works way better than fora's search option.

Staff
GamingFora
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It happens/ed to me quite often that I start a search in the SkyscraperCity containing search words which for sure exist in the related thread.
But the search sometimes does not deliver any result.
Sometimes it delivers (way too much) results which have nothing to do with what I was searching for.
Because of that I stopped using fora's search option and switched to the customized Google search (xyz site:skyscrapercity.com) which works way better than fora's search option.
I see, yeah it's hard to beat Google for sure. We'll keep working on it. Any specific example keywords you can show us? So i can relay to our search team.

Registered
Great to have this function now! :love:

I do not know what the other forums think about this but perhaps it would be a good idea to lower the position of this function within the 3-dots-menu.
The users are used to have edit at the top of the 3-dots-menu but now the new function is there instead.
From the idea of keeping the forum as much user-friendly as possible this would make sense.
This was suggested in the SkyscraperCity.

Registered
I see, yeah it's hard to beat Google for sure. We'll keep working on it. Any specific example keywords you can show us? So i can relay to our search team.
Thread:

Search word: Sengelmannstra脽e (a street name)

If I search for sengelmannstra脽e within the thread I get the following search result: No results found.

If I search for Sengelmannstra脽e within the thread I get the following search results:

So this seems to be an issue of having set the search function case sensitive somehow.

===

Thread:

Search word: Moosrosenquartier respectively moosrosenquartier (it is a word which is in the thread title)

If I search for it within the Hamburg forum I get the following search result in both cases: No results found.

Registered
FocusRSOC, FocusSTOC, FiestaSTOC, MondeoSTOC
I do not know what the other forums think about this but perhaps it would be a good idea to lower the position of this function within the 3-dots-menu.
The users are used to have edit at the top of the 3-dots-menu but now the new function is there instead.
Yes a great idea UNIT-er, it'll be better at the bottom of the list so as not to upset the existing order for us all, Members and Staff.

Staff
GamingFora
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thread:

Search word: Sengelmannstra脽e (a street name)

If I search for sengelmannstra脽e within the thread I get the following search result: No results found.

If I search for with Sengelmannstra脽e within the thread I get the following search results:

So this seems to be an issue of having set the search function case sensitive somehow.

===

Thread:

Search word: Moosrosenquartier respectively moosrosenquartier (it is a word which is in the thread title)

If I search for it within the Hamburg forum I get the following search result in both cases: No results found.
Thank you sir!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts