OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Staff
68 Posts
Welcome to the New Homepage!!

If you have not seen it go to labs.platforum.cloud and give it a go!
Please note this is still in Beta and tweaks will still be made, but your feed back is more then welcome!!

Features and Details below:

Feed-driven homepage
  • The new home page will be feed driven. Anything we serve will come in the form of “Feed”.
  • The feed is aggregated content from every sub-forum.
  • We load 25 feeds as the initial state, then after the user triggers a lazy load, load 25 more each time.
Feed Type
The feed will be made up of different types of feeds.
  • Basic Thread
  • Photo Thread (This occurs when the thread has an image in the post)
Lazy Load
The feed will start lazy-loaded after the user clicks on the “Load More” button.
  • Before the user clicks “Load More”
    • Users will be able to scroll to the bottom of the page without triggering the lazy load.
  • After the user clicks “Load More”
    • The page should switch to infinite scroll lazy load mode. Each time a user hits the bottom, loads 25 per batch.
Filter:
  • User won't see anything they don't have permission to. So if you're not a admin and have no access to see any admin-only sub-forum, those posts in that forum won't show up on your feed.
  • Admins can also individually toggle on and off node in the node setting:

Note:
This is not the final product but we are getting there

Questions;
Send a message to Product (@mike.shoss or @gkatsiochristos)

Engineering Lead: @dandaman

Known Issue:
  • Like and reply counts are not properly feeding into the ranking algorithm yet. We're looking into a fix.

Attachments

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,869 Posts

The feed is aggregated content from every sub-forum.
Every sub-forum? I assume staff areas are bypassed by default but is it "tweakable" to exclude things like testing areas & premium member sections?

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts

Every sub-forum? I assume staff areas are bypassed by default but is it "tweakable" to exclude things like testing areas & premium member sections?
2 Rules on filtering:

• You won't see anything you don't have permission to. So if you're not a admin and have no access to see any admin-only sub-forum, those posts in that forum won't show up on your feed.
  • ALSO admins can individually toggle on and off nodes.

·
Staff
VerticalScope
584 Posts
Y'all have clearly put a lot of work into this. Thank YOU! :)

One thing I will see myself missing is the feature showcase images because it felt like it set the tone for what the site was about and because members were starting to understand how to get their own images featured there. It kind of set the mood for the site and helped it look super cool, if that makes sense?

Can you help me better understand exactly what feeds the content in really simple words that will help me explain it to the members I am working with once it is live? Is it similar to "active topics" or is it choosing a few active topics from each category? Will 2 logged in users see the same feed? How will it compare to the feed seen by a guest?

- Cricket

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Y'all have clearly put a lot of work into this. Thank YOU! :)

One thing I will see myself missing is the feature showcase images because it felt like it set the tone for what the site was about and because members were starting to understand how to get their own images featured there. It kind of set the mood for the site, if that makes sense?
View attachment 4471
Can you help me better understand exactly what feeds the content in really simple words that will help me explain it to the members I am working with once it is live? Is it similar to "active topics" or is it choosing a few active topics from each category? Will 2 logged in users see the same feed? How will it compare to the feed seen by a guest?

- Cricket
  • Not anytime soon but we are planning to introduce more types of feed in the future phases, including showcase and gallery. At the moment it's just MVP.
  • The feed is driven by 3 factors
    • How new the thread is
    • Likes in the thread
    • Replies in the thread
  • In the future we'll also update the algorithm to factor in follows. Stuff you are following will be shown on your feed higher than rest of the feed.
  • And as mentioned above,
    • What each user sees depends on their permission. They can only see threads they have permission to see.
      • So guests won't see threads from sub-forums they can't access, and regular user can't see Area 51 threads, etc.
    • Admins can choose which node to feature on the homepage and which one don't, so CM or community Admins can turn off Off Topic subforums.

·
Staff
VerticalScope
584 Posts
Maybe the Top Images could be a sidebar feature? (Vertical of course.)

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
such tech. so Raytracing. much impressive.
wow.

And what about if we want to remove something from the feed like...a read function? So I don't have to see the same thing over again?
You mean like block 1 particular thread from your feed like youtube recommendation? Probably something we can look into in the future for sure.

·
Staff
VerticalScope
584 Posts
This is the first time I have noticed something that the members mention about it being more difficult to see the difference between read and unread in the dark mode.

- Cricket

·
Staff
66 Posts
more like, I've already seen this current thread. I'm up to date with the comments so why is it still at the top of my feed?

so if this was on mobile, that means I have to keep scrolling to see newer threads.

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Maybe the Top Images could be a sidebar feature? (Vertical of course.)
We probably won't change side bar much. In the future when we update to include showcase and gallery, the top images will be part of the feed, just like when you scroll through facebook and twitter feed.

·
Staff
VerticalScope
584 Posts
Please forgive all of my questions. Like many of our members, I am a serious creature of habit, so it takes me a minute to adjust to changes, but I can see myself warming up to this.

- Cricket

1 - 20 of 60 Posts