OneFora banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can also see who's following you and who you're following under the "About" tab of your own profile page.
Huh. So you can. I didn't know that.

So I tried it.
On my home forum, using that "about" tab, I now see I'm following two people (I have no memory of doing that - fumblefingers on my part possibly), but if I pull up the list in my account settings, it says I"m not following anyone.
And I've noticed no changes whatsoever in my day-to-day experience on the forum. None.

Which brings it back full circle to the original question. What does following someone actually do, besides putting them on a list of people you're following?

·
Registered
DieselPlace
923 Posts
Huh. So you can. I didn't know that.

So I tried it.
On my home forum, using that "about" tab, I now see I'm following two people (I have no memory of doing that - fumblefingers on my part possibly), but if I pull up the list in my account settings, it says I"m not following anyone.
And I've noticed no changes whatsoever in my day-to-day experience on the forum. None.

Which brings it back full circle to the original question. What does following someone actually do, besides putting them on a list of people you're following?
When you follow someone you will get alerted when they post

·
Registered
UberPeople
196 Posts
I now see I'm following two people (I have no memory of doing that - fumblefingers on my part possibly),
It seems that whenever I'm on my mobile and I'm trying to enter a PM conversation, I always end up accidentally following the member as well.

I told one of my mods the other day, if you see me follow them unfollow you a thousand times in a minute it just means I'm trying to enter our conversation. 😁

·
Registered
DieselPlace
923 Posts
@OkDually - none of those or any of the other notification checkboxes are at all related to members one follows. Only threads.
If you have the "Automatically watch content you interact with" checkbox marked you should get the notification from followed members when they post something

·
Registered
MG-Rover
183 Posts
If you have the "Automatically watch content you interact with" checkbox marked you should get the notification from followed members when they post something
I would expect differently. This checkbox will allow you to automatically follow any thread in which you post and will put that thread in you thread following list.
However on preferences page of your account you have Notifications area as per picture below:

Rectangle Azure Font Operating system Software

In that page you can enable or disable notifications for above mentioned watched/followed threads. However, what I am missing is enable/disable notifications of followed members.
What I can say is that followed members replaced what used to be friends in vBulletin software. I have a lot of such following members which are my friends when change of software from vBulletin to XenForo happened. However, I have no way of enabling them to notify me what they posted anything.

So, what I am also missing here is notification when following member posts anything. This feture is missing in Notification area of the preferences page.

I checked on official XenForo page and see that feture is missing from original software, and there are add-ons which need to be paid in order to add that feature.

Software used on our forums is version 2.1.2 and what I see this feature is still not available in software version 2.2.

So from my point of view this feature needs to be programmed from Development team of VS if we bring this as request for development and manage to put it higher on the list.

·
Registered
Sax On The Web
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It used to be when you followed a member all their new posts would show up in your feed.
All followed members' posts do show up in your news feed:

See this link:
onefora.com/whats-new/news-feed

It is discussed here:

·
Registered
MG-Rover
183 Posts

See this link:

It is discussed here:

This is valuable information. Seems that we are still missing this option in any menu as you cannot get to it without direct link.

Thank you for sharing this!

·
Registered
UberPeople
196 Posts

See this link:

It is discussed here:

Thank you, I changed it to our home forum's addy and it worked!

I've really missed that feature, it makes tracking our suspected trolls and socks so much easier.

·
Registered
MG-Rover
183 Posts
What we also can do, we can add this as forum link node under, eg. Forum Help Section, so any member will be able to see its feeds.

·
Registered
MG-Rover
183 Posts
What we also can do, we can add this as forum link node under, eg. Forum Help Section, so any member will be able to see its feeds.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,963 Posts
This is the page that makes following people useful but for whatever reason, it remains hidden.

Reactions: 37283

·
Registered
MG-Rover
183 Posts
This is the page that makes following people useful but for whatever reason, it remains hidden.
Ok, if there is a resoning behind that for not making it visible, it would be useful to know why, since following people is available to all members, and actually there is no use of it for the members - sooner or later members could ask why.
If this is left only for admin/mod team, then follow member option should go into same category and remain hidden for all the others.

·
Registered
Firearms Talk
341 Posts
That is for threads, not members. I have had that checkbox filled since I joined the forums, but no notices about followed members’ posts.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
Merged two threads on Following.

@liang_VS Thoughts on this one?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts