OneFora banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SkyscraperCity Administrator
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How does XenForo behave when it comes to spam clean or to ban a user exactly?

1st case:

When I spam clean a user the reason for banning is sent automatically.
Does the user get another notification when I update that field with specific informations for internal use such as re-registration of user XYZ and so on?
Or does the XenForo behave similar to the mentioning of a user done by editing a post which does not trigger the notification?

2nd case:

The field reason for banning is empty by default.
After clicking on save the related user will not get a notification if the field is empty.
Does the user get another notification when I update that field with specific informations for internal use such as re-registration of user XYZ and so on?
Or does the XenForo behave similar to the mentioning of a user done by editing a post which does not trigger the notification?

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,888 Posts
There’s no notification sent to the user but whatever the current text is in that field is what the user will see when they log back into the site.

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know!

I thought "will be shown" means a notification being sent.

Nevertheless I think this should be changed somehow.
Finally that field is the best place for internal notes as I mentioned above.
Perhaps it could be a solution to add an extra field for internal notes which will not be shown to the related user.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,888 Posts
We often start a thread in area 51 to discuss a member who was or may need to be banned so that we can then refer to that thread or search for it at any time.

That way searching area 51 for that username shows the internal reason and all comments from staff for what lead up to it.

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Of course this is/could be a solution.

I think this works much better for smaller communities with not so many staff members.
For SkyscraperCity with all the different sub-forums/-sections in a lot of different languages with a lot of staff members it is not so practicable.
Having such informations straight in the user profiles is much better in my opinion.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,888 Posts
When you issue a warning to a member, there is a notes field where you can enter info that the user will not see...

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,888 Posts
Then as you see here on my test user, that info is visible to staff from their profile page...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course this is/could be a solution also.

From my point of view it is not an intuitive solution.
Warnings are not meant as the final step in user histories.
So hardly someone will check the warnings to find the reason for a permanent ban.
I check the reason for a permanent ban if provided under the moderator tools where the ban option is located.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts