OneFora banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I asked a number of established members of P4x4 what they would like to see changed in the current format, I told them many things were being worked on (most know I'm here) so to leave out a few items until later. These guys are members I have dealt with over the years asking what they would like to see improved/added on the old vB, they are members for whom I have a lot of respect. I must admit to having great empathy for #1 and #2.

It is early days but these are comments coming in with more to come but there is already commonality there, have picked the best worded so here they are.

1. A more elaborate text editor would be nice. Something that would make it easier to change font size, style, colour etc. Currently we really only have BOLD, Italic and Underline. I would at least like to use a few different fonts and colours (without having to resort to expert coding).

2. Changes to the way ads appear, adds that masquerade as forum posts complete with avatar (even if it is a different shape). In desktop view there is more than enough screen real estate in the right hand panel to provide as much advertising as they want. I realise the right panel is not visible in mobile mode so I guess that ads between posts may be appropriate in that situation.

3. Would like the search box to search for an exact phrase when the words are in quotes.

Thanks
Ross

Reactions: Guest and AG Jeff

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,534 Posts
Noted, these are some common trends we are hearing and working on solutions to them.

@liangVS per our discussion today on search maybe another one to add:
"3. Would like the search box to search for an exact phrase when the words are in quotes "

Jeff M

Reactions: Guest

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Several questions, have another but need to go back and re investigate the issue myself.

1. Differentiating between section titles in main Forums menu. When scrolling through the main Forums menu many find it very easy to go past a section they're looking for and sometimes need to do it a few times (speed kills). Our Old Forum was made up of the official Red, Grey and Black Nissan Colours, red being the section title header with white writing, not important that it be that way but it would be nice to see some sort of distinct barrier between section. Is it possible for the system to differentiate between light and dark with various colours also across numerous forums"

2. This has possibly been raised but here goes again. I don't use Dark Mode for a few reasons but it has been pointed out by some that do of the thread title not standing out in Dark Mode as it does in Light Mode, so I switched mine to show what they are talking about, I know this isn't a good example as the thread titles stand out like a tooth ache, but when you get a heap of different title threads they just don't stand out in dark mode, the Mike Raymond thread I started (second from the bottom) is a good example just looks like a flow of words in Dark but stands out in light.

3. I mentioned it in my OP but it keeps coming up about advertising that masquerades as posts with avatar and all, as one person said to me there is ample real estate for these adds on the side.

Don't get me wrong I know it is advertising that keeps us on the road as do the members, but surely there is a better way than that.
Ross

·
Registered
286 Posts
3. Would like the search box to search for an exact phrase when the words are in quotes.
@liangVS this should be covered by the Advanced Search upgrade. Brandon and I discussed previously, and he mentioned the Google style search queries including things like quotes, +, etc. were pretty easy to implement. Just a matter of timing, as I think we wanted to combine it with "Search in-thread" and "Search sub-forum" functionality.

·
Staff
GamingFora
351 Posts
@liangVS this should be covered by the Advanced Search upgrade. Brandon and I discussed previously, and he mentioned the Google style search queries including things like quotes, +, etc. were pretty easy to implement. Just a matter of timing, as I think we wanted to combine it with "Search in-thread" and "Search sub-forum" functionality.
Noted~

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Several questions, have another but need to go back and re investigate the issue myself.

1. Differentiating between section titles in main Forums menu. When scrolling through the main Forums menu many find it very easy to go past a section they're looking for and sometimes need to do it a few times (speed kills). Our Old Forum was made up of the official Red, Grey and Black Nissan Colours, red being the section title header with white writing, not important that it be that way but it would be nice to see some sort of distinct barrier between section. Is it possible for the system to differentiate between light and dark with various colours also across numerous forums"
View attachment 3854

2. This has possibly been raised but here goes again. I don't use Dark Mode for a few reasons but it has been pointed out by some that do of the thread title not standing out in Dark Mode as it does in Light Mode, so I switched mine to show what they are talking about, I know this isn't a good example as the thread titles stand out like a tooth ache, but when you get a heap of different title threads they just don't stand out in dark mode, the Mike Raymond thread I started (second from the bottom) is a good example just looks like a flow of words in Dark but stands out in light.

View attachment 3853

View attachment 3852

Ross
Bump (for next year ;)).

Reactions: AG Jeff and Guest
1 - 9 of 9 Posts