OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where will the link be to promote premium memberships? Hopefully not too hidden?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Its still being built, but if you log-out of a site (not this one because its Labs and not publicly available) you'll see a Join Community button in the right hand column. That will become an Upgrade to Premium button. It will also be in Account Settings. And in the Register process as well.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,457 Posts
OK this thread had escaped me, was about to raise the subject here after doing so many times in our forum when I discovered this thread, thanks @Mike Lang

Premium Membership is something very close to my heart, I became a Premium Lifetime Member before I became a Mod, later an Admin, so in reality it has no meaning for me anymore other than the fact I know most of the guys that are still around quite well, but I want to look after the members who parted with their hard earned to participate in a private area. Several years ago did a bit of a push for it and picked up a few 1 year Supporting Memberships, to be honest I didn't do it to put money in the pocket of VS I did it because as we were changing the forum to suit trends I valued their opinion on directions I was considering, ie the Camping and Caravaning Section, most of those 1 year subscribers renewed each year. I had joined at a time when our forum was in trouble and needed money, this was around the time Verticalscope was looking to buy and Marco was to be our VS contact. Recent discussions with Premium Members like myself reveal a similar history for lifetime guys. The Premium Member lounge has been like a graveyard since the changeover with many contacting me earlier on the loss of rites, some of which we had negotiated separately over time.

As said ours is like a graveyard at the moment, I have started a few threads in there to arouse some interest with limited success. This raises a question, how relevant is Premium Membership in this day and age, I paid (from memory) $125.00AU for lifetime, Supporting Members pay either $25.00 or $30.00AU for one year, I seriously doubt that anyone will do the lifetime 'in my lifetime', but Supporting Members may get a foothold with the right support, I had an inquiry a few weeks ago and told him to hang fire while this gets sorted. I know a couple of members took on Supporting Member status in recent years but only for the MailBox increase, this is now irrelevant as everyone has an unlimited mailbox.

These were the benefits Premium and Supporting Members had.

1. Increased MailBox, something like 3 times the std from memory, but this is irrelevant now as everyone has unlimited MailBox.
2. Editing rites to all historical own posts, this was also a significant factor and as said went to all own posts.
3. No adds. I am lead to believe this is still working, rang a member and had him disable his add blocker and resign in, he tells me he had no adds.
4. Ability to change user title under avatar. Unsure about this one, the gentleman I mentioned above could not find where to do that if it still does exist.
5. Larger avatar.

So, to the questions:
1. How does VS see Premium Member future?
2. What added benefits can you offer to make it attractive?
3. What Time frame for a solution?
4. What would VS envisage as a cost structure?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks Ross, sorry i've taken so long to get back to this post.

1. We are still very interested in having Premium Members, and giving them some additional features as they are supporting the website. In the near term, we really view that as :
a) no ads
b) ability to turn-off the right hand column
c) access to premium-member only forums
d) still deciding, but possibly also access to Labs (this forum) -- would love to hear your thoughts on that as well
2. see above. TBH, right now, its primarily the ad-free (although many achieve this with ad blockers) and right-hand-column disable (only pertinent to Desktop users)
3. roughly mid-December.
4. We expect to introduce unified subscription pricing. $15 USD / year. We would not offer a lifetime feature at this time, or until we get some more benefits added.

Would love to hear of some other ideas anyone might have for other features we could offer to Premiums?
One idea I've considered, is that they would be Premium across ALL of their VerticalScope forums... not just the 1 site they subscribe on.

Rob

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 + 8 other Mustangs
76 Posts
d) still deciding, but possibly also access to Labs (this forum) -- would love to hear your thoughts on that as well
I personally would not recommend this Rob. This site is a good place for staff to bounce ideas around. The phrase “Too many cooks in the kitchen” comes to mind. I think this is also a good venue for mods/admins to discuss problems in a somewhat private setting. If any Tom/Dick/Harry can get access to this site, some of the above appeal will be lost.

I vote for keeping this site for mod/admin type.

Tim

Reactions: jtech and RoscoAU

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We sold 25 lifetime subs at $200 a pop and 500+ yearly subs at $25 last year.

We've always had a dedicated forum for our lifetime guys so I'd hate to see the ability to sign up for that go away.

I wouldn't advise access to labs. This should be staff eyes only IMO.

I do like the idea of getting access to the other sites since it would add to the value and could stimulate activity.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I personally would not recommend this Rob. This site is a good place for staff to bounce ideas around. The phrase “Too many cooks in the kitchen” comes to mind. I think this is also a good venue for mods/admins to discuss problems in a somewhat private setting. If any Tom/Dick/Harry can get access to this site, some of the above appeal will be lost.

I vote for keeping this site for mod/admin type.

Tim
Thanks @Goose17 ... those were my feelings as well.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,457 Posts
Another vote for keeping this site for staff, I would think that most if not all 'outside' staff represent their forums through having an intricate knowledge of it and its members, we are here after all to look after the best interests of 'our' forum to the best of our ability. ability
Turning PT Barnums words around, 'you can please all of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time'.
I like all the other ideas.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 + 8 other Mustangs
76 Posts
Another vote for keeping this site for staff, I would think that most if not all 'outside' staff represent their forums through having an intricate knowledge of it and its members, we are here after all to look after the best interests of 'our' forum to the best of our ability. ability
Turning PT Barnums words around, 'you can please all of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time'.
I like all the other ideas.
Well said Ross! ?

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,457 Posts
Do we have a set plan for premium membership now? I am currently being asked what the future holds, so it would be very nice if we could see a blow by blow pitch.

Earlier I wrote up a bit of a list of what we had, below is my original notification of rites when I paid my $125 somewhere around 2011/12. In later years when I became an admin we did enhance a few of those features to attract more annual supporters as lifetime is really not on anyone's agenda I don't think.
Ross

Expires: Sep 18, 2037
Support the community by becoming a Patrol 4x4 Lifetime Member. Membership upgrades help us cover the running costs of Patrol 4x4 including server costs, upgrades, software registration and upgrades, and other maintenance expenses.

As a reward for becoming a Lifetime Member, you'll receive the following:

• Lifetime Members Badge (displayed next to your avatar).
  • Album Space of 50Mbs
  • Increase in Avatar size to 150x150
  • Increase in Private Message Storage to 2000
  • Increase to 5 Vehicles in the Garage.
  • Can change own User Title
  • No Ads when logged in (except in Vendors own Forum Sections - coming soon)
  • Delete own posts (not entire threads)
  • Access to Members Lounge

Thanks for your support!

Reactions: Guest

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
375 Posts
TheNewX.org - Benefits are the Same
For
Supporting Memberships $20.00 Yearly
Lifetime Premium Memberships $40.00

Recognition: > Username | Bolded | Bolded
Recognition: > Vehicle | ❌terra | ❌terra
Less Advertising: | None | None
Private Messages: | 1500 Msg | 1500 Msg
Max PMs Sent at a Time: | 60 | 60
Custom User Title: | YES | YES
Avatar Photo Size: | 150x150 @ 50K | 150x150 @ 50K
Profile Picture Size: | 250x250 @ 150K | 250x250 @ 150K
Photo Albums: | 100 MB | 100MB
File Attachments: | 50 MB | 50 MB
Social Groups: | Can Create/Join | Can Create/Join
Photo Uploads: | 100 Files | 100 Files
Garage Spots: | 10 Vehicles | 10 Vehicles
Turn Off Sidebar: | Yes | Yes
Price: | $20.00 (USD) - 1 Year | $40.00 (USD) - 100 Years

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,457 Posts
We will have something soon for you guys. @liang_VS
This is a very sore point with many, at least an idea of what could possibly be in order, it has been a very long wait, surely there must be an outline.

·
Registered
Hardcoresledder
232 Posts
Why not go variable based on popularity at the sites ?
For example it's been mentioned that Patrol 4x4 was something like $160 for lifetime. (or something like that) But most people quit after just a few years.
Why not make a site that's not as popular cheaper, like the $19 a year mentioned and better more content filled sites more? Seems like the way to go to me. Get people interested in less popular ones and then bump them up as they get popular.

Steve

·
Registered
286 Posts
For example it's been mentioned that Patrol 4x4 was something like $160 for lifetime. (or something like that) But most people quit after just a few years.
Why not make a site that's not as popular cheaper, like the $19 a year mentioned and better more content filled sites more? Seems like the way to go to me. Get people interested in less popular ones and then bump them up as they get popular.

Steve
There are really good arguments on all sides of this. The rationale is that...
1- we don't want to have to always be changing prices. Some sites start off really small and then grow. Other sites may be big today, but as the vehicle grows older it's hard to lower the price.
2- a consistent price will allow us to eventually offer a network wide price for all sites, that will make people (hopefully) more loyal to our sites, versus other owners sites.
3- we prefer to keep everything on a subscription basis, and do away with lifetime membership. This isn't financially driven, just a revenue preference towards subscriptions rather than one-time shots. We may reconsider this point later.
4- we think there is some price elasticity. So, having a $50/year price for example might result in fewer overall memberships. So having 100 members at $50, versus 300 at $19 is the argument... Of course, there is the reverse argument there is only so many people that will ever pay, so get the highest possible price!
5- our data team thinks the sweet spot is around $15-25 per year based on analyzing 3 years of data on 500+ sites...

Bottom line is, there probably isn't a right answer.... But this makes it very easy to manage, consistent, and hopefully pushes us more towards a larger subscription base rather than focusing as much on advertising dollars.
But I know the other side of each of these arguments fully exists!

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We still need to grandfather in all those lifetime members with their special badges, private access sub forums, etc that they originally paid extra for.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,457 Posts

Steve
Just to clarify. P4x4 was 125$ AU for lifetime and it had been that since inception, 25$AU was annual cost. My point on lifetime was that in this day and age a lifetime membership is going to be a hard sell. We have many dedicated members covering just about every scale in the overall economy but we have not sold a lifetime membership in years, actually I can't remember the last one. Several years ago I made a few changes which made it more attractive for members to join, a further increase in pm capacity was quite an attraction to add to unlimited self editing rites and then the being part of an 'exclusive' group, it resulted in a number of new premium members, but annual only.
People come and go and although in 5 years your lifetime would pay for itself, 25$ a year is just a few cups of coffee. Robs suggestion of 19$US is around 25$AU, I would like to see it closer to 15$US though. With the 'benefits' already built into standard XF it is going to be a hard sell anyway for any forum that deals mainly with the man on the street. BTW re man on the street comment, I tried very hard to attract more women into the foum some years ago, with limited success and those didn't stay all that long dispite our best efforts 4x4 is still a male dominated arena.

Reactions: stevem5215

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,457 Posts
Yes lifetime will stay as lifetime. Complete agreement.
I would have been shocked if it was any other way, I've already guarranteed that on our forum.

Reactions: AG Jeff
1 - 20 of 24 Posts