OneFora banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of the things the old Huddler platform had (Hey @Mike Lang !) was they had Gear in this Thread.

I've thought a lot about this over the years because I think for the casual user its incredibly useful. Its a good user-experience to have links to where you can actually buy the product. Or see the price, etc.

Now the challenge has always been actually doing that tagging. Machines don't do a great job of it (perhaps sometimes better on sites like AVS; but really terrible on sites like Automotive communities).

So my big question is: do you think we can get users to do this work? eg. If we created a place for Gear in this Thread, and then all they had to do was provide a link to where you could find it, and we could pull the data (eg. from amazon, ebay, bestbuy, etc.) from the source URL?
Would they be compelled to do so? Or is this asking users to do too much, and they wouldn't care to actually do it?

It was actually something I thought would be nicely useful in the right-hand-column as well.

Rob

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
It's been a few years & my memory is a bit rusty on all the details but I seem to recall we had to create a "tag team" of members that tagged threads for things like Amazon gift cards but after a few months most of them had stopped doing it. I believe Huddler also for a period of time subbed out the tagging activity to a 3rd party company.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep I think when we bought the site it was being done by some "Machine Learning" that was hugely expensive to run, and not very accurate.... along with maybe some stuff from Viglink or someone like that. But accuracy was suspect.
Any thoughts on what might get users excited about this? Or you think its just not really something people want to do?

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
My impression was that we put a lot of effort into setting it all up but ultimately we couldn't get enough users to consistently stick with it even giving away $200-$300 gift cards. That was like 2013. With people's online time even more divided today, I'd hate to invest a ton of resources into counting on them again. I don't know if there are newer human outsource options for this like Rev for subtitles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts