1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Staff
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Onefora Release Date: June 28th, 2021
Global Release Date: July 9, 2021

Reactions [New Feature]

We are launching Reactions in Onefora (within the next few days) first to give the community a chance to familiarize themselves with the new reaction types. We have been actively working on this feature and will be releasing it in an iterative approach. In this release you will be able to react to posts, threads, articles, comments and images with the following reaction types:

• Like (Positive +1)
  • Love (Positive +1)
  • Haha (Positive +1)
  • Wow (Neutral)
  • Sad (Neutral)
  • Angry (Neutral)
How do I use a Reaction other than “Like”?

On Desktop
: The User will navigate to the desired content, and hover over the “Like” icon. The User will then see the other reactions appear, from here any reaction type can be selected.

On Mobile: The User will navigate to the desired content, and press, and hold the “Like” icon. The User will then see the other reactions appear, from here any reaction type can be selected.

What will my Reaction look like when applied to content in my forum?

In addition to introducing various reaction types, we have also redesigned the following areas:

Reaction summary thread: Will now show the top 3 icons Users reacted with, highlight when the User has applied a reaction and will change the “like” icon to the reaction the type the User applied to the thread.

Reaction alerts: Will now include the reaction icon and text.

Reaction Summary Pop-up Tabs: Will now include the reaction icon and text, as well as the theme, underline for each tab.

Reaction Styling on the Latest Activity Page: Will now include the reaction icon and text.

ALT Text on additional reactions: Will now include ALT text for all new reaction types.

The next iteration will include styling for the “Reactions Received Page”, as well as releasing this feature globally.

We look forward to hearing your feedback on this feature! Please put any comments, questions or concerns down below, and we will be happy to answer them.

·
Staff
VerticalScope
562 Posts
I am beyond excited. My only wish is that WOW was a +1 because it is usually used as an overwhelming like.

I usually click WOW on an amazing image.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Will we be able to select multiple icons? Yes, have had members ask this. Like say I agree👍 but don’t like🥺 something.

·
Registered
starbike, vulcan, yamaha-forum, yamahaforum, HD Street, Blue Oval Fanatics, GT350
410 Posts
Good question, last week one of our members was hit by a car on his motorcycle. We were glad he was ok but saddened about the incident. So hitting like wasn't right and neither would just hitting sad. Hitting both with a post wishing fast healing and sad it happen would be great.

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Staff
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good question, last week one of our members was hit by a car on his motorcycle. We were glad he was ok but saddened about the incident. So hitting like wasn't right and neither would just hitting sad. Hitting both with a post wishing fast healing and sad it happen would be great.
Hi Team, this feature will only allow us to react with one reaction type when reacting to the selected content.

·
Registered
422 Posts
^ 'Wow' ;)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I really would like to see a thumbs down. I see the Angry being misused big-time coming without out it and causing work for moderators.

·
Registered
UberPeople
171 Posts
I was thinking this ^^^ as well but since it's counted as a neutral reaction I've decided not to worry about it...yet.

The Sad and Angry faces are something we had requested a long while back when we already had our reactions but we never got them since it was said they counted as a negative.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
Heya all,

Let's see out the initial launch goes and is received by the communities.

Then we can talk about additional tweaks down the road.

Jeff

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was thinking this ^^^ as well but since it's counted as a neutral reaction I've decided not to worry about it...yet.

The Sad and Angry faces are something we had requested a long while back when we already had our reactions but we never got them since it was said they counted as a negative.
The problem I see coming is fights that will require moderators to issue warnings or worse. Thumbs down just won't irritate people as much as out and out Angry button will.

·
Registered
235 Posts
On WSF we had for many many years a red Cross rating that was labelled 'disagree".

This worked well but to have an 'angry' reaction in my experience is going to far.

Disagree is fine but to say 'angry' is the wrong reaction for a happy forum environment.

Just my opinion👍

·
Registered
DieselPlace
787 Posts
I often frequent a Lincoln/Ford owner's group forum that is Xenforo but not part of VS.
They have the same reactions up and members there are using them with no issues that I've seen so far.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well, the VS team has basically asked us to wait and see.

It's clear some love the idea and others have concerns.
I am leaving further comments until it is up and running and have had time to assess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm somewhat surprised (somewhat shocked?) that this is in any way controversial.

Let me get this out of the way: I personally think reactions like this are a pointless waste of time. Why do we have to Facebook-ify everything? (GET OFF MY LAWN!) Never use them as a mod, probably never will. Keeps people from thinking there's favoritism and... you know how teenagers can get sometimes. (Most people into planted aquariums are younger - I'm not being ageist here. Or not totally ageist. Let me find my walker so I can get up to turn this giant box TV's volume down...)

Buuuut our members really like this sort of thing and seem to use the heck out of the like function. So I try to view the value through the lens of everyday membership and forum participants. This is going to be welcomed by most of our members. May increase participation slightly. I can also see the angry reaction being really useful in many circumstances. Ex: Somebody posts about a shipping company mishap that costs them time and money. Bam, angry reaction.

Not sure this sort of thing is really that deep, so I don't have an opinion either way on having multiple reactions at a time. If anything, that's unnecessarily complicated on the database front when development effort could be directed elsewhere. And if there's not a reaction that seems to fit the moment, maybe a post would suffice - actual conversation - or a private message.

Don't want to come across as a prude or too indifferent. I just think we, as mods/admins, overthink this stuff more often than not because we try to avoid conflict and want to make things as perfect as they can be.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts