OneFora banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Staff
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Onefora Release Date: Friday, August 6th
Release Date: Tuesday, August 10th @ 9:00 a.m.

Summary of Changes - User Facing
  • XFMG Media permissions: Registered users will now be able to delete their own media items.
  • In order to minimize confusion, we have removed the inactive checkboxes from the “My Discussions” & “Participated Discussions” areas.
Before

After

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out to the product or CM team: @gkatsiochristos, @jtonge, @Lalji, @AG Jeff!

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
I just had to delete 24 pages of media items for a user two days ago. :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hate bringing it up, but with VBulletin, at the top of the page on a forum, I could select all, then uncheck say 3 posts. I could do this for say 200 posts maximum, go to the bottom and either copy or move to. We also had an accessible garbage bin, where all posts got deleted to, if by mistake it was easily reversed. We had a thread in the garbage bin for deleted for sale. Someone had a deal fall through it was easily reversed.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
I hate bringing it up, but with VBulletin, at the top of the page on a forum, I could select all, then uncheck say 3 posts. I could do this for say 200 posts maximum, go to the bottom and either copy or move to. We also had an accessible garbage bin, where all posts got deleted to, if by mistake it was easily reversed. We had a thread in the garbage bin for deleted for sale. Someone had a deal fall through it was easily reversed.
You still have a garbage bin in your Area51 and you can mass move threads there if needed.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
45 Posts
You still have a garbage bin in your Area51 and you can mass move threads there if needed.
Yes and I use it. It is much easier to move a post to it rather than delete it in the thread. In particular mistakes I make. Then delete it in the garbage bin. The exception is when a post is offensive , then it is there for other mods to view. Later it is best to remove it. I was told that having deleted posts within a thread created software flow problems? As to mass deleting , so far there hasn't been a need. With the exception of outdated classifieds.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
Reactions: DIYASUB

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just curious, why does it say Release 119 in one place and Release 120 in another?

And what happened to Release 115 thru Release 119 for that matter?

·
Registered
FocusRSOC, FocusSTOC, FiestaSTOC, MondeoSTOC
511 Posts
Just curious, why does it say Release 119 in one place and Release 120 in another?

Yeah I noticed that, they seemed ok (in order) up to release 35, then it went all to pot 😂

·
Registered
45 Posts
First I need to apologize if this post is in the wrong forum or if I should be starting a new post concerning the topic below in the new release 119 or 120 whichever is the case.

Media permissions
Registered users will now be able to delete their own gallery media items.

My question is twofold. Will photos that exist in threads by the owner of the media be lost if that owner deletes them in the Gallery. Secondly, for those that use smug or other photo posting methods, the same question. It is very clear that once posted it is the VS property. I ask because many threads have been destroyed with PhotoBuckets to name one. On our forum, I went to bat to increase the number of photos each member could store, to encourage posting within VS. That did help, however many continued with offsite photo hosting. I am asking rather than experimenting with my own media.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
View attachment 7607
View attachment 7608

Think we merged a few together, we do not always put up release notes in the help section if there is not much forward-facing stuff going out.

Reactions: Clive

·
Staff
VerticalScope
624 Posts
Media permissions
Registered users will now be able to delete their own gallery media items.

My question is twofold. Will photos that exist in threads by the owner of the media be lost if that owner deletes them in the Gallery. Secondly, for those that use smug or other photo posting methods, the same question. It is very clear that once posted it is the VS property. I ask because many threads have been destroyed with PhotoBuckets to name one. On our forum, I went to bat to increase the number of photos each member could store, to encourage posting within VS. That did help, however many continued with offsite photo hosting. I am asking rather than experimenting with my own media.
First, let me clarify that there is no limit on the number of images (except within a single post) members can upload to the site.

In the old platforms, most already had permissions to remove images from their personal galleries, the permissions limitations have simply been removed.

Most do not link to an image from their gallery as they often have special privacy settings available there. That and the fact that it is way easier just to copy/paste an image into your post. I have noticed folks using 3rd party apps for this less and less. It takes time.

I believe any issues with this will be rare.

- Cricket

1 - 14 of 14 Posts