OneFora banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
FocusRSOC, FocusSTOC, FiestaSTOC, MondeoSTOC
718 Posts
Google One Tap
  • We will start testing the new Google OneTap feature on some selected sites before the global release. This will improve user login and sign-up experience.
    • If you have an account, you will be able to log in with 1 tap.
    • If you don't, you will be able to easily create one from Google.
  • This feature does not support all browser / devices, notably on iOS. View attachment 8359
I tried to join a couple of forums today, and I might be doing this wrong, but if I am then it will be the same for other potential new members. Going to 'Join now' I get the option to 'Google one tap', but on clicking 'Google one tap' I get an error message. So I'm guessing I need to click 'Google' and set up an account first, but wouldn't it be better if somebody clicked 'Google one tap' they were redirected to Google account set up screen rather than getting an error message.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
I tried to join a couple of forums today, and I might be doing this wrong, but if I am then it will be the same for other potential new members. Going to 'Join now' I get the option to 'Google one tap', but on clicking 'Google one tap' I get an error message. So I'm guessing I need to click 'Google' and set up an account first, but wouldn't it be better if somebody clicked 'Google one tap' they were redirected to Google account set up screen rather than getting an error message.
Tagging in @liang_VS

Reactions: Clive

·
Registered
718 Posts
OK so taking Halloween Forum as an example, I've gone a step further now and joined with Google, but if I now use the 'Google one tap' button I still get the same error. Also if I want to log in I use the 'Continue with Google' button from the log in screen, and this works fine, so when and why would I use the 'Google one tap' button, because once I've set up an account I have no reason to go to the 'Join Now' screen where the 'Google one tap' button is located?

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
@liang_VS is out today but will have him drop in as this is his project.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,447 Posts
I prefer 'Start Discussion' over the revamped 'Create Post'. But I may be in the minority.... Will advise if members raise an eyebrow about it.

C.
X 11ty billion. Not a fan of some recent nomenclature changes.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,963 Posts
Google One Tap appears to be confusing our membership and they're creating new, unwanted/unintended duplicate accounts when they think they're simply logging in to their old account. Our daily registrations have more than doubled since One Tap launched. We first mistook it for spammers but there was no flood of spam. Once these members notice that (from their perspective) their username changed and all their posts and subscriptions are missing, they'll most likely be angry/confused and add to the Contact Us load.

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Registered
718 Posts
I just logged out of one of my sites to have another look at the one-tap, and I still can't see how it works, but on logging back in I got this . . . .
Human body Purple Rectangle Font Violet

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
I just logged out of one of my sites to have another look at the one-tap, and I still can't see how it works, but on logging back in I got this . . . .
View attachment 8420

Which community, could have been during the weekly update.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If I was composing this message I'd say 'on the forums' rather than 'in the forums', but maybe that's just the UK way?

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just our UK way then, although Cricket is the only person I've seen use 'in the forum' on here, everybody else says on 😉

·
Registered
495 Posts
Older users (who remember rooms) may also use 'in'.

Personally, I say on the board and may use in, or on for forum.
However, I am old.

• Haha
Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 5 h ago

Hello all,

In anticipation of the Google One Tap rollout that will be happening this month, we are starting to set up welcome emails for all new members. This is to help to convert new lurking members to active users.

Here is a quick example of what the message will look like to new members.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Software

Ping us in the Release Notes thread if you have any questions about this new feature.

If you have any questions about OneFora please reach out to me in your Core Thread or via Private Conversation

So yes I have some questions, is this a one size fits all done deal, I had already arranged for a welcome message for new members that explained many aspects of our forum, does this mean that message will not go out to google one tap if this is installed on P4x4. Also, does each forum get to say whether they want this or not?
Ross

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Registered
WranglerForum jkowners
79 Posts
Similar questions as @RoscoAU above.
Specifically if we are able to customize the message for our site and add in a link to the rules :)

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts
@RoscoAU and @Blue Baby Sound

This is a "Welcome Email" it should not affect the existing or future "Welcome Private Message/Conversations" that we set up.

The Welcome email is not able to be customized at this time but if you want a Weclome PM/PC please reach out in Your Area 51 and our team members will set it up.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts