OneFora banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Staff
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lab Release Date: Thursday Jan 23rd (deploying right now)
Target Production Release Date: Tuesday, January 28th

Summary of Changes - User Facing
  • Admin Panel - Admins can now trigger password reset email for members.
  • Search - Clicking the Search button without input will now take user to advanced search page.
  • Public Profile - When Admins with permission to Admin Panel clicks on the “Edit” button in the Moderation menu, they will now be taken to the Admin Panel user edit page instead.
  • Moving Thread
    • After a thread is moved, the old URL of the thread will exist permanently and redirect user to the new URL.
    • The thread link in the old sub-forum will exist default for 30 days, the number is customizable.
  • Overall color improvement on Dark Mode.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Thanks for the admin edit!

Is there going to be an option for a permanent thread link redirect or do you just have to type in a really long number? :cool:

I might be stating the obvious but in my experience, 95ish percent of password resets are because the email address we have is no longer functional and sending it there wouldn't help the user get back to participating. I imagine an automated tool where they have to enter the old address after perhaps being provided a redacted version would cut down on some of this.

·
Administrator SLKWorld
357 Posts
can admins not just reset password without email it?
and as stated above, because we have other means to contact member?

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
can admins not just reset password without email it?
and as stated above, because we have other means to contact member?
I'd like a dollar for every password I've rest over the years, most password resets on P4x4 have been done by local admins and I'd say the vast majority in a number of years would be by me, I'm well known amongst members, I often get a PM from another member who personally knows a member who can't sign in so request is handled that way.

Reactions: Scott and jbanks15

·
Administrator SLKWorld
357 Posts
I'd like a dollar for every password I've rest over the years, most password resets on P4x4 have been done by local admins and I'd say the vast majority in a number of years would be by me, I'm well known amongst members, I often get a PM from another member who personally knows a member who can't sign in so request is handled that way.
ty. exactly my point. i, as admin have called cross country to step a member through resetting or something on a forum issue

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
You guys are only doing this when the user provides the exact email address on file for the account right?

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
You guys are only doing this when the user provides the exact email address on file for the account right?
Absobloodylutely, as said I know many regulars and if I don't someone else does, I always ask for confirmation of a current email address.

·
Administrator SLKWorld
357 Posts
keyword being current which one cannot prove...
and if one in account is not working which is why they need admin assistance to hand reset n not email new pw...
then dead end has been reached. hopefully they can at least say,,,,my old email addy was but i don't have access to that anymore..ie...work email etc

·
Registered
286 Posts
Given that there is plenty of data on the 'dark web' that ties usernames & email addresses.... couldn't a hacker easily just take a look find a data leak from one of the many forums hacked over the years (including ours a number of years back) and give you the email address, and username? Seems too easy to take-over someone's account.
I think its different if you personally know the person.... but the above is what I'm trying to solve for?

·
Administrator SLKWorld
357 Posts
if someone has my email/username whatever...i doubt their 1st thought is to come and be a member of SLKWorld.
I mean, i know I am well loved but for a hacker to go to all that trouble? what does he gain...
After almost 14 years on my forum, and personally welcoming over 57k, I think i can smell someone that does not belong
but i understand the concern.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Just using one of many possible examples...a loyal member with years of history and thousands of posts shouldn’t have to abandon his account just because he lost his job or his small ISP folded and he used an email address through it.

In 20 years and thousands of occurrences of me reuniting users with their accounts on multiple forums, I’m not aware of a single occasion where I was “duped”.

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered
286 Posts
if someone has my email/username whatever...i doubt their 1st thought is to come and be a member of SLKWorld.
I mean, i know I am well loved but for a hacker to go to all that trouble? what does he gain...
After almost 14 years on my forum, and personally welcoming over 57k, I think i can smell someone that does not belong
but i understand the concern.
Where we do see it... on a site like WatchUseek.com ... they come in, take over a user-account with a high number of posts, a trusted user, and then post a few watches for sale, but for cheap.... sell them quick, get the money, and they are gone before the user logs back in.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just using one of many possible examples...a loyal member with years of history and thousands of posts shouldn’t have to abandon his account just because he lost his job or his small ISP folded and he used an email address through it.

In 20 years and thousands of occurrences of me reuniting users with their accounts on multiple forums, I’m not aware of a single occasion where I was “duped”.
And just to be 100% clear.... we are not insulting anyone's sniff-filter, but I think the risk is... not all admins are as great as you guys. So we do not to think about how to address it broadly.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
I totally get the concern, but that said, I'd argue that a problem occurring on a very small minority of sites shouldn't mean that thousands of users on the vast majority have to abandon their established accounts.

Perhaps that site(s) can have a much more stringent procedure without encroaching on the rest. Baby with the bathwater and all...

I know that if I personally went back to a community and was told I couldn't reestablish my account even after providing the correct previous email address, I'd just leave mad and stay gone.

I'm in the business of pulling people back into forums from Facebook groups et al. As is, this flies in the face of that mission. The nuclear option is usually not the best one.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
I have in the past asked for extra evidence on someone that has contacted me or another member who has approached me on their behalf, if I'm not convinced then no way will I do it.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
As another use case, we have a lot of industry insiders who provide valuable info and content that brings in readers. These guys tend to get recruited by competitors and change companies. The last thing on their mind during a job change and relocation is a forum profile update. If a guy worked at company A and used that email address and had the forum password stored on the company computer but lost it all due to leaving, we’re going to tell him he’s just out of luck? He'll just post on a competitor's site or not at all. It all just seems wildly over the top.

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
In regards to recovering old accounts that have been automized or where the user no longer has access to an old email and started another account:

Please send them to Contact Us if you have any questions and the CM team will work with them to verify and merge the accounts. We can normally find ways to verify IP, old email, previous conversations, etc. I recently just verified a guy by him showing me a tattoo of his user name and car that matched old pics he had posted on the other account. We can get creative to get them back online.

As we build out more Admin CP functions and automation tools for users to self serve this will become less of an issue.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,556 Posts
Is there going to be an option for a permanent thread link redirect or do you just have to type in a really long number? :cool:
Is this needed, I think we want to avoid having them clog up a section as they did before this fix.

Note I moved this thread to bugs section and left a 1 day redirect:

Jeff M

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.