OneFora banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon Lab Rats! ;)

One thing that comes up on a number of our migrated communities is the right hand column being a little bit useless. I agree with the complaints.
I am keen to hear some ideas of how we could make it more useful.
The only idea I prefer not to hear, only because I've already heard it many times and is not the point of this particular thread, is to get rid of it :)

So... what would you like displayed in the right hand column when you are viewing the site on a desktop?

Some ideas....
  • similar threads to this one
  • reputable users who have posted in this thread
  • links to the "most liked" or "most bookmarked" posts in the thread
  • most active participants (prob only applies to long threads >50 posts)
  • tl;dr thread summary (highly complex, unless users generated them)
  • other similar sites (link out)
  • information/press releases/news articles about subject-matter
  • threads you have participated in, that have new posts in them (just to provide an easier navigation experience)
  • buy/sell threads
  • popular showcases (images)
  • more ads (i know you love them ;) lol)

Feel free to recommend some of your own ideas as well; or just quote my ideas and say YES or NO.
Hopefully you have better ideas than me!

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
  • Eye candy. Images get noticed & clicked. Maybe pulled from most recent attachments & embedded media.
  • The widgets for members & find member. There's no intuitive navigation to those and having the "most points", "most messages", etc. front and center sparks competition and boosts participation.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
  • A newsletter signup widget. It's currently so difficult for users to get signed up that they PM me to do it for them.

Reactions: rdlviper

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  • Eye candy. Images get noticed & clicked. Maybe pulled from most recent attachments & embedded media.
  • The widgets for members & find member. There's no intuitive navigation to those and having the "most points", "most messages", etc. front and center sparks competition and boosts participation
I like the Recent Photos/Attachments - especially now that we are scanning all of those, so we wouldn't have to worry about NSFW content. I'm going to run a test to see how those actually look on a few 'real' sites to see if the data (in this case photos) look good and are an attractive feature.
One person on another forum did note that 'eye candy' may be distracting from the content they are reading. So will have to consider sizing and do some mockups.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts