OneFora banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a report on the above, checked what I could but had no adverse reactions, it sounds like some bug he has on his computer, any comment from someone here?

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. Something called pesthole.com was what the guy saw, I googled it but it seems it has been disabled, sounds like something more than just a rogue add, it could well be something that is on his compter only, but would like to investigate possibilities with you guys and VS before going back to him and ruling our site out.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
I’ll bet he doesn’t see it on any other sites and if he uses the site with an ad blocker it never happens again.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ll bet he doesn’t see it on any other sites and if he uses the site with an ad blocker it never happens again.
This is why I posted it here, he has only seen it with us, but I'm not ruling anything out until I hear from the VS guys.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'll have our ad team run it down, and make sure pesthole.com is blocked network-wide.
Thanks Rob, I had never heard of pesthole.com, is it something you are familiar with?

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how do we stop them from showing up?

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
So how do we stop them from showing up?
Not sure if there a solution to prevent them 100% of the time, however, we are currently reviewing the spam controls which might come up with some additional blocking solutions.

I responded to the Patrol4x4 thread and let us know if you see any others.

Ref #171111736

Jeff M

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
I was told that providing the URL was useless and that users had to go through all the steps of generating a HAR file before anyone would look into these rogue ads.

Is that no longer the case?

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
I was told that providing the URL was useless and that users had to go through all the steps of generating a HAR file before anyone would look into these rogue ads.

Is that no longer the case?
The HAR file is definitely a lot more helpful to try and block these and is normally requested by the team to action it off.

Jeff M

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure if there a solution to prevent them 100% of the time, however, we are currently reviewing the spam controls which might come up with some additional blocking solutions.

I responded to the Patrol4x4 thread and let us know if you see any others.

Ref #171111736

Jeff M
Yes saw that before I went to bed, thanks

With ads, it's sadly whack-a-mole. There is no way to block every bad actor as they always move around and come up with new techniques. Best thing is to report, and block.
OK will make this notification.

The HAR file is definitely a lot more helpful to try and block these and is normally requested by the team to action it off.

Jeff M
I'm basically a technosaur who struggles through computer issues and systems, I did a HAR file last year for one of you guys to assist with an issue we were having, man it took me ages and I wouldn't look forward to doing it again, I'm one of many computer technosaurs on P4x4, lol.

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
I'm basically a technosaur who struggles through computer issues and systems, I did a HAR file last year for one of you guys to assist with an issue we were having, man it took me ages and I wouldn't look forward to doing it again, I'm one of many computer technosaurs on P4x4, lol.
Users don't like doing them either. Many comments were along the lines of "I don't work here". But with highly targeted ads that only appear for a tiny percentage or readers, mods & admins can't do it because the specific ads aren't being served to us. That's why getting them nuked with just a URL is important.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The chances of a member doing a HAR file is somewhere between zero and zilch. I'm unaware of anyone else seeing that pesthole.com 'add' and as said by the time I had googled it, it had been taken down by some unknown entity. He said what he did was click on the users name that he was replying to in a thread and it came up, can these things target a member somehow?

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
Yeah, when users are getting served up malicious popups or redirected to phishing schemes only on our sites and we tell them they need to go through a (to them) daunting process to find the cause, that's not usually met with welcoming attitudes. Those posts are then usually followed by other users recommending various ad blockers to kill all ads and it turns into a bad look for the forum.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,868 Posts
can these things target a member somehow?
Targeted ads are based on things like your browsing history so getting hit with these rogue ads that attempt to install a virus or phish for info is a bit like hitting the lottery in reverse.

The same user could use a different browser and probably never see it because the browsing history on that browser is likely very different.

And other users and staff can rarely replicate it because our browsing histories are different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts