OneFora banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Read Only
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my "old" AlfaBB forum, we had a very, very long list of inappropriate words. Yes, we had all of the common swear words. Some people felt they could use racial slurs and make comments about people's nationalities. There were also mentions of sexual orientation, etc, etc, etc. So, we began to add these words to the list. It became rather extensive.

I tested a few words in our Area 51 and there was a fair number that got through. I would like for Admins to have access to the list on their site with the permission to maintain it.

G

·
On my "old" AlfaBB forum, we had a very, very long list of inappropriate words. Yes, we had all of the common swear words. Some people felt they could use racial slurs and make comments about people's nationalities. There were also mentions of sexual orientation, etc, etc, etc. So, we began to add these words to the list. It became rather extensive.

I tested a few words in our Area 51 and there was a fair number that got through. I would like for Admins to have access to the list on their site with the permission to maintain it.
For now, if there are words you would like us to add to the list, just start a thread in the team to section on your site and we will get them added :D

Helena

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,346 Posts
For now, if there are words you would like us to add to the list, just start a thread in the team to section on your site and we will get them added :D

Helena
OK, are you saying this can be modified individually for each forum? I remember when we first changed over two XF there was no filter and a couple of smartalecs took about 10 nano seconds to realise, I deleted their posts and informed them forum rules still applied and bans would be issued and our rules overrode anything else, problem solved. I did ask in an email to a modadmin for a couple of words to be filtered, which they consequently were. The old filter went a bit too far meaning some words which contained a barred word could not be written so I don't wish to return to those days. I'm not a prude, I swear myself at times but I don't think our forum is a place for certain words, we do allow a couple of 'disguised' words, we can live with that, but there is one 'disguised' word that sees them on the bus for a long time first offense and permanently for a second, the message has gotten through. Under current XF filters we have the situation under control I feel.
If the answer to my question is yes, then maybe further down the track an adjustment may be asked for.
My 2 cents worth.

G

·
OK, are you saying this can be modified individually for each forum? I remember when we first changed over two XF there was no filter and a couple of smartalecs took about 10 nano seconds to realise, I deleted their posts and informed them forum rules still applied and bans would be issued and our rules overrode anything else, problem solved. I did ask in an email to a modadmin for a couple of words to be filtered, which they consequently were. The old filter went a bit too far meaning some words which contained a barred word could not be written so I don't wish to return to those days. I'm not a prude, I swear myself at times but I don't think our forum is a place for certain words, we do allow a couple of 'disguised' words, we can live with that, but there is one 'disguised' word that sees them on the bus for a long time first offense and permanently for a second, the message has gotten through. Under current XF filters we have the situation under control I feel.
If the answer to my question is yes, then maybe further down the track an adjustment may be asked for.
My 2 cents worth.
Yes, it can be modified for each forum currently. :) Just let us know what words to add.

Helena

·
Read Only
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just so you know, I'm not comfortable publicly sharing my knowledge of four letter, derogatory or pejorative words. :rolleyes: It's not meant to be a joke, just that I am not comfortable doing it. My list is rather embarrassingly long.

Don't get me wrong, I swear like a sailor, but that is only for private use. :)

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,534 Posts
Just so you know, I'm not comfortable publicly sharing my knowledge of four letter, derogatory or pejorative words. :rolleyes: It's not meant to be a joke, just that I am not comfortable doing it. My list is rather embarrassingly long.

Don't get me wrong, I swear like a sailor, but that is only for private use. :)
If you prefer you can send us a private conversation on the community or email them to me directly to update.
[email protected]

Jeff M

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,346 Posts
Yes, it can be modified for each forum currently. :) Just let us know what words to add.

Helena
Thanks Helena, good to know just in case, I'm relatively happy with what we have, not as tough as what we had under vB but as indicatd we make the rules so it is up to us to enforce them when required.

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,346 Posts
I put this in off topic but really it is a relevant subject. It is quite interesting that Labs has no swear filtering yet no one swears unless it is for demonstration purposes, personally I put this down to respect.
On my home forum we have always had swear filters, that was why I campeigned to get them reinstated several months ago (and recently found a bug which is being sorted now). We have a massively diverse range of members, covering all points of the spectrum, only a small percentage are prolific swearers and they are the reason we need it, some will try to short cut for whatever reason, if I say I don't give a **** I think you know what I mean and I don't need to short cut.
My serious question to you guys is how do you manage swearing on your forum? Or do you (need to) bother, I have 5 words on the filter and now a wild card had to be installed to cover plurals etc.
Look forward to hearing your experience.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We got close to 800 items on the censor list. The reason for that number is because we have a global audience with many local sections with members speaking their own languages. I see no reason why people need curse words or bad language to make a point. Also, I like to think that my lowest level of standards is the highest level for the members. Knowing that we never get any complains about it, I guess most members agree. Next to this, we also use the censor list to block domains which are problematic for reasons of spamming, copyrights or content. We also have a long list of international words which often appeared in spam. Indeed, for us having a censor list is vital to managing the forums. Not having one sure is going to be interesting.

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
374 Posts
GENERAL RULE: (On vB)
3) Keep cussing to a minimum, (there is a cuss filter setup). Do not change around letters or use spaces to avoid the cuss filter. (Talk like you would talk to your boss, parents or your 5 year old daughter.)

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,346 Posts
GENERAL RULE: (On vB)
3) Keep cussing to a minimum, (there is a cuss filter setup). Do not change around letters or use spaces to avoid the cuss filter. (Talk like you would talk to your boss, parents or your 5 year old daughter.)
The general rule we have is, "If you won't say it to your daughter or mother think carefully before saying it here". But, that does not always deter people, remembering I said earlier our members cover all points of the spectrum so some may well say explicit things to their daughters and mothers, since before my time there was tolerence for a bit of shortcutting so elimination is almost impossible without mass bannings, I have banned 3 for disguising the one intolerable word I won't tolerate.

·
Registered
TheNewX Admin
374 Posts
I had a new member who had the gall to use that intolerable word as part of his Username and when I told him it wasn't acceptable. He had a hissy fit and stated "Just delete my account!". But of course we can't do that on xF, so I banned him....

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,346 Posts
I had a new member who had the gall to use that intolerable word as part of his Username and when I told him it wasn't acceptable. He had a hissy fit and stated "Just delete my account!". But of course we can't do that on xF, so I banned him....
Have had similar, also with avatars.

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 + 8 other Mustangs
75 Posts
We have a swear filter on fordgt500.com. When a member bypasses it with spaces or creative spelling, I send them a pm and give them an option to fix it or receive an infraction.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,534 Posts
Merging into this existing thread to keep all feedback in one place:

Jeff M

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,534 Posts
Merging this thread here:

Jeff M

·
Registered
490 Posts
old thread but......

profanity still gets through so I assume no filter on our forum. I eliminated -->shit<-- today although whether the member starred it OR the system did but this also showed -->f***rs<-- I don't know how the * appeared.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,534 Posts
old thread but......

profanity still gets through so I assume no filter on our forum. I eliminated -->shit<-- today although whether the member starred it OR the system did but this also showed -->f***rs<-- I don't know how the * appeared.
Link for example?

Jeff

·
Registered
490 Posts
Link for example?

Jeff
post 1 is the "adjusted by me version"

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.