OneFora banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

Registered
FocusRSOC, FocusSTOC, FiestaSTOC, MondeoSTOC
While we're talking about profanity and obscenity, why does our smiley list include this: 馃枙 It's 15 rows down, second in from the right.
Ha ha, well spotted 馃槀

Registered
MSGO (Mississippi Gun Owners)
Title says it all.

A guy on our forum (MSGO) today posted a thread in the General Off Topic section about the death of Rolling Stones drummer, Charlie Watts.

In his post, he mentioned the bands front man, "M I C K" Jagger, and the software censored the guy's first name, putting it in the body of the thread as, **** Jagger.

Kinda strange.

"R E D N E C K" is another automatically censored word that many on our forum (Mississippians) find strange to be censored, as for many rural Mississippians, the word is a badge-of-honor -- indicating an honest individual who works long hard hours (often outdoors in the sun) to provide for their family.

I was just curious if there was a list somewhere, of words that the software doesn't allow. I can understand George Carlin's "Seven Words", but was just wondering what else is on there.

Registered
ChallengerForumZ
I was trying to post when you merged them, lol... I was going to say I thought M i c k came off that list a while back???

Staff
VerticalScope
As @AG Jeff has mentioned a few times now, we have not released a full list.

If you have an issue with a specific word, please post to Area 51 on your home site for assistance.

Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
Reactions: jkelly16

Registered
M I C K? What's wrong with that? Maybe I'm naive. I'm not in 9th grade anymore when I knew all the bad words. That wasn't on my list then. However, Mr. Jagger and his Rolling Rocks -- no, wait, that was beer -- Rolling Stones, that was it. They were quite popular. ;)

Registered
SkyRoadster
M I C K? What's wrong with that? Maybe I'm naive. I'm not in 9th grade anymore when I knew all the bad words. That wasn't on my list then. However, Mr. Jagger and his Rolling Rocks -- no, wait, that was beer -- Rolling Stones, that was it. They were quite popular. ;)
In England it is used as a derogatory term for someone of Irish descent.

Registered
Also in America.
I've never heard it. I was surprised to learn that "paddy-wagon" (police transport vehicle) was also an Irish slur. I thought paddy referred to the padlock on in. I guess almost anything can be derogatory, depending on how it's used. (See post #45 above).

I think we need to fish with a loose net and evaluate the context on a case-by-case basis. Maybe Carlin's words are enough. If someone is talking trash, then kick 'em off the site.

Registered
1911 Addicts
I hope this is the correct thread.

Why is the word **** as in **** Jagger blocked?

Edit to add: Mick

Registered
SkyRoadster
I saw that, and disagree with it which is why I asked the question.
Are you saying that you don't believe that statement is true?

Registered
1911 Addicts
Are you saying that you don't believe that statement is true?
I believe that there are many words that can be used the wrong way, and that we shouldn't unilaterally just ban them when the majority of the time they are used in the correct way.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.