Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Could cause issue

Votes: 7 26.9%
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,447 Posts
I agree there should be a minimum character number in thread titles, I would suggest 10-15, there should also be a maximum because I've had members try to explain their vehicle issue in the title, which takes up room and looks bloody awful, I shorten them with a note. I would think one line in a pane is more than enough.
Not tested in a long time, I did a test in our 'sandbox', 3 lines and still not told to stop, way to much and I told the whole story not just a brief outline.

Purple Rectangle Violet Pink Line

·
Registered
211 Posts
Maybe some thought should be given to setting something up in our ACP's where we could tailor these minimums and maximums to our message boards as needed. On my boards two letter thread titles are not uncommon, that's because we're a hunting site and Pennsylvania is divided into 38 wildlife management units. So, when someone makes a post titled "4C" or "2A" it has significance to certain members.
I was messing around with something just yesterday and was presented with one of those little switch thingies that have a + & - that take you up or down however many pages you want. Give me one of those switches for the minimums and one for the maximums that we're discussing here and I'll do the fine tuning on my message boards myself according to need.

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,447 Posts
@liang_VS
I am all for a minimum of 5-10 or so and figure out some max to avoid the 150 character full two-line sentence titles.
Absobloodylutely, I did that test in sandbox trying to max out and still didn't in 3 lines. Funny someone commented on my 'thread' and I said I should have explained so I did, saying what I said above, he came back and said yes it looks awful.
One line is something like 48-52 characters (including spaces) if people can't do a title in 48-52 characters there is something very wrong, the story is told in the thread, not the title, a very brief overview, 1 line ie: my Intercooler slowly fills with oil please help. So we give them the benefit of the doubt and give them 2 lines or 100 characters.

·
Registered
SkyRoadster
174 Posts
There are a lot of ideas, and there isn't an endless supply of time, so picking the things to work on is important.
The purpose of this thread is to help find out if this issue is important enough to have someone work on.

I count 39 characters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally I hate titles - won't start- won't crank- searching for chain info

When I do a title, I consider the content and how the title will display, either on a phone or computer. Here is a example;
Cases/ Givi/ Trekker/ Others

One thing to think about, before the change, we could create a title within a existing thread, one advantage is being able to identify a specific item within the thread, in my example above, Trekker could be a sub title.

·
Staff
VerticalScope
676 Posts
I cleaned up this thread a bit, but it looks like I may need to clean it up a bit more. ;)

Please stay on topic within our Product, Design & UX Feedback threads. This is especially important when our developers are trying to sort through our feedback.

- Cricket

·
Registered
16 Posts
But don't feel desperate need for min, nor max. Just optional.
Ridiculous thread titles get moderated anyway.
I am not a fan of minimum characters because it doesn't actually stop a behavior. If a person wants to use a smaller word, they will just add asterisks or exclamation points to get the minimum number.

I prefer a more publicly visible approach and it involves the use a bit of passive aggressive moderation to discourage click-bait or otherwise stupid titles:

Change the title to something related to the thread but completely mundane and boring and then add a reply "Thread title not indicative of contents, title changed"

Usually only takes once or twice to get the message across to the poster and it allows for some transparency to the rest of the membership.

·
Registered
Survivalist Boards
4 Posts
I am not a fan of minimum characters because it doesn't actually stop a behavior. If a person wants to use a smaller word, they will just add asterisks or exclamation points to get the minimum number.

I prefer a more publicly visible approach and it involves the use a bit of passive aggressive moderation to discourage click-bait or otherwise stupid titles:

Change the title to something related to the thread but completely mundane and boring and then add a reply "Thread title not indicative of contents, title changed"

Usually only takes once or twice to get the message across to the poster and it allows for some transparency to the rest of the membership.
I agree with the number of characters not stopping the problem. I have seen this issue many times on our forum and it always comes down to the member posting the thread. If it's a good member they will learn from having their thread edited and/or a warning or PM sent to them. if it's a troll member or one that does not feel they should follow the rules then no amount of edits, warnings or anything else will matter to them.

I have seen your approach and have used it myself and it can be very effective to those that are willing to learn

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,447 Posts
"Help" is an effective title but it doesn't age well in search results.
This is what forums are all about, we get most of our new members because they are google searching an issue they are experiencing, some will lurk for years before actually joining, had a recent small surge in lurkers posting in our welcome section saying how helpful the forum has been to them. A title like 'help' doesn't do much in a search engine, neither does a description that looks like War and Peace. I often shorten long titles and add info to a one word title (with a note), for that reason and so members know what the hell the thread is about and can effectively answer before they die of boredom.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts