OneFora banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that there is an option for Two-Step Verification in each member profile. Is that something that can only be activated by Super Admins? Is it VS initiated or VS-world wide or can be it be activated at an admin's discretion for suspected spammers. Is it a one-time at registration thing?

What does it entail if it is activated? Will it be in force if a member signs out/signs back in?

·
Registered
422 Posts
And, will only take effect once they have signed out?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heya all,

Please do not set that option for users as it will cause more issues and bug reports for the CM team.

Jeff
Only reason I mentioned it was I thought it might be a good way to weed out the "disposable email" members who may turn out to be bots who are then unable to return. I know I get super tired of having to look at boats and bikes 😉

·
Registered
422 Posts
I almost never see those, but then being an SM has benefits.

·
Registered
Hot Rod Forum MyTractorForum
75 Posts
I have to use the 2 step once a month on my forums that I am staff on. I use the Authy app on my iPhone. It works well.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,468 Posts
I have to use the 2 step once a month on my forums that I am staff on. I use the Authy app on my iPhone. It works well.
I have the backup codes and get new codes sent by email (preferred not to use the app). Every 30 days a new code is required.
Pretty sure we only have it set up as an option with Mod/Admin accounts for security reasons.

Jeff

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Registered
Router Forums, Woodworking Talk
134 Posts
Pretty sure we only have it set up as an option with Mod/Admin accounts for security reasons.

Jeff
Yes, when I moved into the Admin role on my two forums is when I began the two-step verification.

·
Volunteer Support VerticalScope
240 Posts
The two-step verification can only be disabled from the admin controls, but not enabled. This is an 'opt-in' option available to all members as an option to add additional security to their account. We can't override this and turn it on as they would still need to add their security details and chose their option to get the security code.

All emails do need verified when they join the forum, but after that we can not force them to regularly verify it or as Jeff mentioned, we would see a significant increase in complaints (we saw a large amount with Captcha already).

Daniel

·
Registered
Ramchargercentral
241 Posts
We have more then a few members who are not computer literate. They have learned enough to navigate our site, and have no interest to go further. With the software change over, we almost lost a few. I spent a lot of time on the phone, and through e-mail, helping them to learn the new setup. Throw more at them, and we could easily loose them.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Throw more at them, and we could easily loose them.
Yeah, we lost a bunch when we went to XenForo from vBulletin but fortunately two-step, so far, isn't a requirement for the everyday member. I agree with you, if that becomes reality, we'll certainly lose some more. That two-step can become a hassle if you are using it on multiple apps and forums. It becomes almost a guessing game as to which added one and which authy app is for which site.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My thoughts behind posting this question (2-step) was for SELECTIVE use (ie per NEW member) that a s/mod or admin could apply if suspicious about intentions, NOT as a blanket policy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts