OneFora banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious (after posting in another thread about the impact of YouTube on DIY content) how important you guys think it is to support video uploads directly to the sites?

Do you think:
a) users will create & post videos just for our forum sites?
b) will they still just post to Youtube, and then link it?
c) will they do both (post on our site, and post on Youtube)

Also... I'm curious if you think a lot of our users create videos... or do they mostly just link to other people's videos (people not on the forum)

·
Administrator SLKWorld
357 Posts
why were mp4s removed as a video source? viruses?

B. will they still just post to Youtube, and then link it?

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
I'm curious (after posting in another thread about the impact of YouTube on DIY content) how important you guys think it is to support video uploads directly to the sites?

Do you think:
a) users will create & post videos just for our forum sites?
b) will they still just post to Youtube, and then link it?
c) will they do both (post on our site, and post on Youtube)

Also... I'm curious if you think a lot of our users create videos... or do they mostly just link to other people's videos (people not on the forum)
I have a YouTube Channel where I have posted videos of projects on my Patrol, runs fine don't advertise, YouTube asked me to monetise a couple of years ago but turned it down. Haven't added any vids for quite a while, been busy on forum stuff.

I think supporting vids is very important, I did a number of vids on our events which I posted on our forum, I did them in Vimeo becaues they were the only ones to embed in vB.

My answers would be
Likely.
Likely but this could change to more positive over time.
Yes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why were mp4s removed as a video source? viruses?
The xenforo support for video upload is very ugly/rudimentary. Our idea was to build something more robust. It just didn't get prioritized yet, which is part of the reason for this thread ... something we need to think about again.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Certainly the majority will link to videos made by others but for those that make their own, I suspect they'd upload to YouTube and share on the forums because then they can also share to others like friends, family, etc.

We do get a lot of users who will upload a video of a TV issue where it might be convenient to use the site directly if there wasn't much of a learning curve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts