Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Heeeeeeeeey everyone, we're looking at various possible ways to enable more ways for users to share. The topic of video support has come up a few times, and we want to make a post here to hear what the mod and admin community think of this. Later in a few days we'll also rollout a survey on some sites to see what the members say.

This thread will be a discussion, we'll be replying and write down your suggestions and bring it to our product team meetings to discuss.

I'll kick off the conversation with a few questions:
  • Does your community member create video content?
  • Would you upload videos directly on your forums if the system supports it?
    • Or would you most likely will reserve to linking video from other sites such as Youtube?
  • Besides simply uploading video to threads and posts, what else video-related features would you like to see?

Lemme know your thoughts, thanks!

·
Registered
kiaownersclub
40 Posts
Well I had to upload mine to u-tube to share.
If forum allowed, Yes I would use it.
Given the file size's required adding to u-tube is not a issue when you have a account. But would guess a lot of people will not.
Would you be looking at limiting file size?

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I had to upload mine to u-tube to share.
If forum allowed, Yes I would use it.
Given the file size's required adding to u-tube is not a issue when you have a account. But would guess a lot of people will not.
Would you be looking at limiting file size?
If we were to build this feature, video upload would definitely not have the same file size limit as current attachments. Pretty safe to say most videos people upload are likely to be way bigger than current attachment size limits. :LOL:

·
Registered
starbike, vulcan, yamaha-forum, yamahaforum, HD Street, Blue Oval Fanatics, GT350
419 Posts
On my motorcycle forums we upload a lot of riding video, especially me 🤣 . It's not a big deal using YouTube, but it would be real convenient to upload directly. Big question would be file size and resolution limits. Videos uploaded to YouTube can currently be viewed at a higher resolution than our sites supports. Videos with high speed action, motorcycles in motion, is best viewed in higher resolution. I love the idea.

·
Registered
TheReefTank
252 Posts
A agree that a lot of our members go through YOUTUBE. I am as 'dinosaur' as they come, and I can figure THAT out, and have used it myself.
🤔IF, we had an 'IN-HOUSE' option, pretty sure it would be COOL! (y)
Hack

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On my motorcycle forums we upload a lot of riding video, especially me 🤣 . It's not a big deal using YouTube, but it would be real convenient to upload directly. Big question would be file size and resolution limits. Videos uploaded to YouTube can currently be viewed at a higher resolution than our sites supports. Videos with high speed action, motorcycles in motion, is best viewed in higher resolution. I love the idea.
Good to know some sites have are heavy video users! Thanks for the feedback, @lesblank . We'll keep the FPS and higher resolution supports in mind.

·
Registered
starbike, vulcan, yamaha-forum, yamahaforum, HD Street, Blue Oval Fanatics, GT350
419 Posts
Might be wrong but I read the question as to file size limit. Most video on my sites are edited to under 10 minutes, we have short attention spans. A 10 minute video in 1080 can be a pretty large file and that's the resolution for a smooth motorcycle video.

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe @kiaiooi is referring to size limitations.
Ah, that's something we'll have to get a number from discussion with the engineers. Ideally, the limit would be reasonable where it won't be an issue for most uploads. There still would be a limit, otherwise, someone could easily upload terabytes of file and cause the site to break down.

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Might be wrong but I read the question as to file size limit. Most video on my sites are edited to under 10 minutes, we have short attention spans. A 10 minute video in 1080 can be a pretty large file and that's the resolution for a smooth motorcycle video.

View attachment 7116
Ah, that's after their compression. The actual upload files might be larger than that before they are processed by the server.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,869 Posts
YouTube (and to a lesser extent Vimeo) have pretty much cornered the market on sharing video without any concerns of file types or size limits plus you can just link to it anywhere.

After the Photobucket debacle, users are gun shy about trusting where their content resides.

The one selling point I could see for tech sites is when trying to show things like tiny details in TVs & projector displays would be zero compression applied to raw vids but that would require a ton of storage.

·
Registered
Poodle Forum
18 Posts
With the option of direct uploads, I think we’d see a lot more video over at Poodle Forum, especially in our training forum and monthly trick thread. And puppy videos would be extremely popular.

I think the current linking requirement deters a lot of our less savvy users from sharing video. Even with detailed instructions, they don’t realize how easy it is to share from a YouTube or (my preference) Vimeo account.

·
Staff
GamingFora
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YouTube (and to a lesser extent Vimeo) have pretty much cornered the market on sharing video without any concerns of file types or size limits plus you can just link to it anywhere.

After the Photobucket debacle, users are gun shy about trusting where their content resides.

The one selling point I could see for tech sites is when trying to show things like tiny details in TVs & projector displays would be zero compression applied to raw vids but that would require a ton of storage.
That's a GREAT point man. I'm thinking of getting an OLED this Christmas and been watching a lot of those videos. I think Vimeo has better compression than Youtube. It can't be simply uncompressed though, i imagine a lot of people would probably not have the bandwidth to stream uncompressed videos. And yeah, size would be an issue. Maybe a special uncompressed video upload function with limited size, allowing short uncompressed videos could be a thing. (Not moving on with any ideas, just spitballing. )

With the option of direct uploads, I think we’d see a lot more video over at Poodle Forum, especially in our training forum and monthly trick thread. And puppy videos would be extremely popular.

I think the current linking requirement deters a lot of our less savvy users from sharing video. Even with detailed instructions, they don’t realize how easy it is to share from a YouTube or (my preference) Vimeo account.
I see, thanks for the feedback Peggy!

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,869 Posts
That's a GREAT point man. I'm thinking of getting an OLED this Christmas and been watching a lot of those videos. I think Vimeo has better compression than Youtube. It can't be simply uncompressed though, i imagine a lot of people would probably not have the bandwidth to stream uncompressed videos. And yeah, size would be an issue. Maybe a special uncompressed video upload function with limited size, allowing short uncompressed videos could be a thing. (Not moving on with any ideas, just spitballing. )
If we could even prove that we're applying less compression than the rest for short vids less than XX seconds, tech sites would have a new option when trying to show very fine details on displays. (y)

·
Registered
Router Forums, Woodworking Talk
136 Posts
I just wish we could get people to video properly in widescreen and not in portrait mode. Portrait mode leaves out so much to the left and right and just plain looks stupid on a computer monitor (you can probably tell I don't access our forums on my phone and it's a pet peeve to see portrait video ;)). And I don't mind turning my phone to view YouTube videos. :D

Having said that, though, many of our members are rural and have low speed connections with low quotas so they don't watch videos when posted. Other members encourage everyone to post photos rather than video but it would be cool to do direct uploads of videos without having to go to YouTube as an intermediate step. I post videos directly from my phone (in widescreen) to Instagram and FB all the time for short videos and use my YouTube channel for longer and more in depth videos.

·
Registered
DieselPlace
800 Posts
Many of our Community members upload their content to Youtube then post it in a thread.
Some others have used Tiktok and Google to post video content.
Having the ability to self-upload to the Community would be a good idea

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,344 Posts
I remember this subject coming up a long time ago, like several other things under discussion at the time the problem was data size, so are we saying data usage isn't a problem anymore???????
I upload vids to my home forum and when I do I use Vimeo or Youtube, great quality.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
kiaownersclub
40 Posts
You mean extensions? We haven't decided yet, but ideally, it should cover all the common video formats.
File size limit. (y)
But yep, extensions would be another one. Needs to be something that phones & camera can easily output to. MP4

Not the best, but a example.
If I was to look at one for the infotainment unit. You are talking 20 ish mins due to the number of options.

I guess you could limit site uploads to only short video's and anything bigger needs to go to U-tube etc. Due to the storage space & data usage.
Although given the number of forums run I guess you have plenty anyway. 😁

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.