OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Read Only
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BB is getting hammered by folks posting links in Chinese. I've deleted over 100 posts this morning. I need tools.

We need to limit new members posts such that they cannot post pictures and hotlinks. PLEASE!

·
Read Only
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, the spam tool is crap. I'm half tempted to not respond to these sorts of spam attacks and encourage the community to reach out to VerticalScope.

The tools we need to combat this stuff need to be tip top priority.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
Hello all,

We did see a global spam attack over the weekend and looking into cleaning it up and how we can prevent it in the future. Also, note the image issue is on the radar and we are hoping to have that resolved in the near future.

What other tools would help you guys with the spam, @ossodiseppia I know you mentioned the "Global Spammer" list here where it is still under discussion.

Jeff M

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
Had same recently and posted it in our area 51 asking how this could happen, surely a new member, seconds old posting 9 threads in succession should set alarm bells ringing in AI, looked like chinese but when I did a check of his IP it said Russia.

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
Thanks all,

We do have a ticket in to review our spam tools and we have been logging the weekend reports as examples for the team to review.

Spam Tools Review - HERE

If you have any additional requirements or ideas on how we can help let us know, similar to the "spammer database" @ossodiseppia brought up let us know.

Jeff M

Reactions: RoscoAU

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
I'd be curious to know if there were multiple spammer accounts created on the same sites where those accounts shared the same IP and/or cookie data.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
I'd be curious to know if there were multiple spammer accounts created on the same sites where those accounts shared the same IP and/or cookie data.
Many of them where foreign characters from one user that blew up the forums that show how bypassed the filters.

Blue Text White Colorfulness Red

Jeff M

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
Many of them where foreign characters from one user that blew up the forums that show how bypassed the filters.

View attachment 4196

Jeff M

This was the post I put into area 51 to report this, same username, this was a mass attack.
9 threads in one hit in what looked like chinese from the same member that had just joined moments before got through AI, his username was isjfjkakal416, email [email protected] and the IP was from Russia. I would have thought that number of threads in such a short time may have triggered an auomatic reaction?
Ross
Did this trigger any auto spam reaction on any site?

·
Read Only
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want more controls over user permissions. New members should only be able to post text. No pictures, private messages or hotlinks allowed. I would also like to be able to put a time limit between posts. In vBulletin we had it set for three minutes. These things made a world of difference to our members and their experience.

The more we clamp down on what new members can do, the less interested people like this dewd will be in spamming our sites.

This needs to be a top priority as I can just about promise you that we will get hit overnight.

I also want other ways to enter large numbers of IP addresses. Right now, the only accepted format is xml. Please open things up so we can block or deter entire countries. The two that pop up all the time are India and Pakistan.

Please remember, all of us Admins do this for the love of a particular marque and those who own the cars. If we have to spend hours each day cleaning up this stuff, it impacts our experience as users and Admins.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
I want more controls over user permissions. New members should only be able to post text. No pictures, private messages or hotlinks allowed. I would also like to be able to put a time limit between posts. In vBulletin we had it set for three minutes. These things made a world of difference to our members and their experience.

The more we clamp down on what new members can do, the less interested people like this dewd will be in spamming our sites.

This needs to be a top priority as I can just about promise you that we will get hit overnight.

I also want other ways to enter large numbers of IP addresses. Right now, the only accepted format is xml. Please open things up so we can block or deter entire countries. The two that pop up all the time are India and Pakistan.

Please remember, all of us Admins do this for the love of a particular marque and those who own the cars. If we have to spend hours each day cleaning up this stuff, it impacts our experience as users and Admins.
@ossodiseppia

Thanks for the additional insight and info, I totally understand how that can hinder your passion.

This is a discussion we will have to have with the team to see if we have any other options or if we are able to find some other way to deter these spammers as we review the spam prevention tools. The downfall with creating barriers to entry is that it might also deter real users who might not want to stick around to "earn" their way to post pictures, links, and send private conversations so we have to find a happy medium between the two that works for Admins and new users.

I know we would not want to block an entire country as we do have a global audience from many different geographical areas that legitimately participate in our communities but with the Spam tools review we are working on we might find a better option to flag or avoid those attacks.

As more develops I will keep you posted and gather additional feedback.

Jeff M

·
Read Only
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff, this is going to take far too long to figure out and implement the changes. By the time these changes are rolled out, all of the bulletin boards will suffer membership loses.

I think for the short term, there are two options:

1) Temporarily close all forums to new membership
2) All new members and their posts must be approved by an admin.

We got hit again today and quite frankly, I'm tired of spending my valuable time mopping up the mess.

Whom can I talk to in management that can make a decision without having meetings to discuss how this can be fixed? There are some simple solutions that can be adopted for the short term.

·
Read Only
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the status of my request? This needs to be the number one priority, not all of the fluffy stuff. I am getting hit every day with these damn Chinese spammers. When can I expect more controls?
The only thing that I can see to do at the moment is to change all of the subforums to needing moderator approval for new posts and replies.

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
What is the status of my request? This needs to be the number one priority, not all of the fluffy stuff. I am getting hit every day with these damn Chinese spammers. When can I expect more controls?
The only thing that I can see to do at the moment is to change all of the subforums to needing moderator approval for new posts and replies.
@ossodiseppia

We had a meeting on this yesterday and are exploring the best way to combat the spam attacks with additional tools and settings tweaks. These are both something that we will have to set globally and rollout so it might take some time as we review all options.

We should have more info on the action plan on this next week and I apologize for the delay.

Jeff M

·
Administrator SLKWorld
357 Posts
here is mine :D
东北大学毕业证成绩单美国文凭Q/微993398773美国NEU毕业证书教育部学历认证留信认证原版1:1制作电子图修改GPA成绩『诚招代理』国外学位证 Northeastern University

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
here is mine :D
东北大学毕业证成绩单美国文凭Q/微993398773美国NEU毕业证书教育部学历认证留信认证原版1:1制作电子图修改GPA成绩『诚招代理』国外学位证 Northeastern University
There is talk of some more advanced ReCaptchav3 tools to focus on all Posts/Conversations instead of just new registrations.

Also, some other setting tweaks to stop new users from being able to send a conversation or have an initial post with links until they have been verified as a legit user through post count. However, these are still being reviewed and we will put together a more robust spam killing package to help you guys out.

More info with a cool video:

Jeff M

Reactions: Cricket

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
Had two of these today that got through, different username but same country indicated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts