OneFora banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
vBulletin had a simple pop-up screen that was called when you clicked the post count of a thread which showed a scrollable list of usernames who had posted in a thread, ranked by the number of posts by a user. I liked that, especially for its simplicity:

It had two advantages over this screen...

...which is that vB listed all users who participated, even if they had posted only once, plus it listed them by name. That's a bit easier than having to guess who goes behind an avatar, or who is Mr. P. or Mr. R or whatever first letter the system uses to create an avatar.

Instead of "summarize this topic" a "most liked posts" feature could be nice to have btw. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
1) At the top of the example I see "33 Likes". Is that just for the OP, or is it giving us a total for all the posts in thread? I would think it would just be for the OP, correct?
2) In the future, will it stay as we see it in the example or will it also show the numbers for the other reactions that are in development at this time?

·
Staff
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
vBulletin had a simple pop-up screen that was called when you clicked the post count of a thread which showed a scrollable list of usernames who had posted in a thread, ranked by the number of posts by a user. I liked that, especially for its simplicity:

View attachment 7138

It had two advantages over this screen...

...which is that vB listed all users who participated, even if they had posted only once, plus it listed them by name. That's a bit easier than having to guess who goes behind an avatar, or who is Mr. P. or Mr. R or whatever first letter the system uses to create an avatar.

Instead of "summarize this topic" a "most liked posts" feature could be nice to have btw. :)
Love these improvements! We will keep that in mind. It sort of plays into a "Best Answers" type of feature.

·
Staff
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
1) At the top of the example I see "33 Likes". Is that just for the OP, or is it giving us a total for all the posts in thread? I would think it would just be for the OP, correct?
2) In the future, will it stay as we see it in the example or will it also show the numbers for the other reactions that are in development at this time?
Great questions.
1) We will work with our product and design teams to determine what is best, but it is leaning towards OP, yes.
2) It will evolve, for sure. 😁

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Lalji A couple thoughts I had

🎨Design
I think this is definitely visually interesting and would compliment well as a sidebar feature on larger screens. On mobile, however, my concern would be that a lot of vertical real-estate above the fold is already competing for attention and might further bury the actual content. Hopefully there could a way to reduce the amount of vertical space taken on mobile if it's placed above the fold.

📝Content
Based on the contents of this widget, it seems that one of the purposes of this widget is to help the user quickly gauge if they should read a given thread (i.e. answers questions like: how long it takes to read, who's posting, how many responses, etc..). If that is the case, something interesting I've seen along these lines is to simply let users vote on the qualities of a post/thread. For instance, steam reviews let users vote a review as helpful or funny (screenshot below). Highly rated reviews are surfaced more and seeing if a review is helpful makes it easier to decide whether or not to commit to reading a long review. Perhaps something similar, but with tags tailored to our threads, could increase the value of this widget to the user (personally, I find user-generated voting gives a pretty high signal-to-noise ratio when sifting through content ).

With this sort of system, the user could receive guidance directly from other community members on whether or not a given thread is worth reading. That all being said, even without this, the current design should really help a user get an overview of the thread!

·
Staff
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@Lalji A couple thoughts I had

🎨Design
I think this is definitely visually interesting and would compliment well as a sidebar feature on larger screens. On mobile, however, my concern would be that a lot of vertical real-estate above the fold is already competing for attention and might further bury the actual content. Hopefully there could a way to reduce the amount of vertical space taken on mobile if it's placed above the fold.

📝Content
Based on the contents of this widget, it seems that one of the purposes of this widget is to help the user quickly gauge if they should read a given thread (i.e. answers questions like: how long it takes to read, who's posting, how many responses, etc..). If that is the case, something interesting I've seen along these lines is to simply let users vote on the qualities of a post/thread. For instance, steam reviews let users vote a review as helpful or funny (screenshot below). Highly rated reviews are surfaced more and seeing if a review is helpful makes it easier to decide whether or not to commit to reading a long review. Perhaps something similar, but with tags tailored to our threads, could increase the value of this widget to the user (personally, I find user-generated voting gives a pretty high signal-to-noise ratio when sifting through content ).
View attachment 7163

With this sort of system, the user could receive guidance directly from other community members on whether or not a given thread is worth reading. That all being said, even without this, the current design should really help a user get an overview of the thread!
@hobbescotch - Yes, that is definitely a concern of mine as well. I think this feature works extremely well on desktops and larger screens, but needs to go through design reviews and more before it is build.

As for reviewing a thread, we have something similar with likes and it'll show how many likes the OP or any reply has. Having a proper voting system is more work and part of a future update we are currently validating.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,963 Posts
Making the number in the replies column a clickable link to display the "Who Posted" takes no screen real estate but if we have to use a full widget to get that tool back, I'll take it. :)

Best of both worlds would be something like clicking on the replies column in mobile opens this widget so it isn't tying up space until you need it.

·
Staff
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Making the number in the replies column a clickable link to display the "Who Posted" takes no screen real estate but if we have to use a full widget to get that tool back, I'll take it. :)

Best of both worlds would be something like clicking on the replies column in mobile opens this widget so it isn't tying up space until you need it.
Yeah, I like that idea too, but how would a new user know to click? So many things to explore... It is an exciting idea.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Are you going after a completely new way to get something similar that we already have?

Will your widget be one everyone can use? I'm not at all sure everyone can get to this panel. I didn't check a regular userid but used my admin userid when I got this panel. I see no reason everyone couldn't see the panel though.

·
Staff
VerticalScope
676 Posts
Are you going after a completely new way to get something similar that we already have?
View attachment 7167
Will your widget be one everyone can use? I'm not at all sure everyone can get to this panel. I didn't check a regular userid but used my admin userid when I got this panel. I see no reason everyone couldn't see the panel though.
Everyone does have access to the Members page.

Reactions = Like, Love, Haha, Wow, Sad, Angry
  • Like (Positive +1)
  • Love (Positive +1)
  • Haha (Positive +1)
  • Wow (Neutral)
  • Sad (Neutral)
  • Angry (Neutral)
The highest reaction score is already listed on that page but this references overall totals throughout the site.

If I understand correctly, the widget described references information for a specific thread, similar to what we see in the sidebar of each thread now.

However, the widget would provide more information regarding the thread, as described by Lalji.

- Cricket

·
Registered
538 Posts
So no breakdown on total reactions using the 3 dots > members route to get this...
  • Like (Positive +1)
  • Love (Positive +1)
  • Haha (Positive +1)
  • Wow (Neutral)
  • Sad (Neutral)
  • Angry (Neutral)
Seems like a lost opportunity as I've often wondered where those highest reaction scores came from. If able to do it per thread it seems like it could be broken out in the other way as well and would be much more meaningful. From an individual point of view versus a thread point of view. Both would be great.

·
Staff
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So no breakdown on total reactions using the 3 dots > members route to get this...
  • Like (Positive +1)
  • Love (Positive +1)
  • Haha (Positive +1)
  • Wow (Neutral)
  • Sad (Neutral)
  • Angry (Neutral)
Seems like a lost opportunity as I've often wondered where those highest reaction scores came from. If able to do it per thread it seems like it could be broken out in the other way as well and would be much more meaningful. From an individual point of view versus a thread point of view. Both would be great.
Hmm... I'm not sure I fully understand. Do you mean adding reactions summary in there or something like that?

·
Registered
DieselPlace
923 Posts
Hmm... I'm not sure I fully understand. Do you mean adding reactions summary in there or something like that?
I think hog means something like "ComStats" where you get stats on a particular forum section or thread and can break down the reactions received

·
Staff
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I think hog means something like "ComStats" where you get stats on a particular forum section or thread and can break down the reactions received
Ah okay. That's a bit of a different thing, but a good idea to explore.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes, exactly but per userid.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Someone at SkyscraperCity brought up the "who posted" tool we used to have but now we don't. I told him the widget is under consideration, but if there are any updates on this one, I'll be happy to pass them along. :)

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,794 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Another feature that was removed a while back is the one where you can see how many posts a member has in any particular thread.
Some of our threads have over 250,000 replies and millions of views.
It was handy to be able to see instantly just how many posts any particular member has made on any given thread.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts