OneFora banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since AVS Forum has not yet migrated, and with specific examples likely being discussed on sites that have, I'm a bit in the dark on content that did not migrate correctly and if there have been, or will be, any advancements to keep it from happening as more sites migrate.

I know that older posts with tables are failing and that's being addressed, but I'm curious what else is "broken" on day one of migration. The thought of my members' contributions to the community being broken is scary. Even scarier is the thought that some may be difficult or even impossible to fix post-migration.

So does anyone have examples of what didn't transition over well besides tables? Images, videos, polls, links, etc?

Thanks

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As an example, I mentioned in the Tables thread that we have a massive, popular database thread with all of our AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews. All the links that feed from that database to their respective threads are internal instead of a full URL. They all look like this:

[Thread=1338259]The Hustler[/Thread]

There are hundreds of them. Are they going to migrate without issue?

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
There is an ongoing issue with my build thread (something like 8 months now, first raised on home forum 6 months ago) that I'm sure has ongoing ramifications in other situations so I doubt I'm totally alone. I thought I had mentioned it briefly here somewhere but cannot find it.

I use the first post as an index to my 1785 post x 90 page build thread which has had 186,000 views on a small forum, many have used it to plan and carry out their own mods, the index is made up of a notation for what the particular project is about, sometimes the post title (now defunct which is another matter I have raised here) with the number of the post the project starts at, there are no links in the index. When I try to add to the index or modify it (like add a page number as well) a strangely worded comment comes up and it will not let me edit the first post at all (others I can). In the old vB days we had tags we could see at the bottom of a thread page, now we can't, is it these tags it is talking about? unknown. There has been a ticket in on this for months, but again I doubt I'm the only one being effected in some way.

The second thing and this only happened a few days ago, 3 pics at the bottom of the first post turned into links only, when I click on them I get the Oops! message with a note that 'requested page cannot be found', now the fact that I can't edit my first post for whatever reason makes it impossible to re load the pics.
Finally on this particular one, I did not lose any other pics throughout the thread but they all went to the small size, which is unfortunate because people then need to click on the pic to see detail in full size but this takes them away from the comments above the pics so it becomes a two step process to view and read, I have slowly been working my way through the build restoring pics to large size so people can see detail without moving away.
My Build Thread

·
Registered
VerticalScope
102 Posts
So does anyone have examples of what didn't transition over well besides tables? Images, videos, polls, links, etc?
If anyone feels like something didn't transfer over correctly, please let me, @liang_VS and @Product know. We will get it looked at.

----------

As an example, I mentioned in the Tables thread that we have a massive, popular database thread with all of our AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Reviews. All the links that feed from that database to their respective threads are internal instead of a full URL. They all look like this:

[Thread=1338259]The Hustler[/Thread]

There are hundreds of them. Are they going to migrate without issue?
Tables should be moved without an issue. We can transfer them into standard BB code but they will be preserved.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tables should be moved without an issue. We can transfer them into standard BB code but they will be preserved.
How about those hundreds of thread links that are just the thread ID vs a full URL? Do they migrate & redirect properly?

·
Registered
VerticalScope
102 Posts
How about those hundreds of thread links that are just the thread ID vs a full URL? Do they migrate & redirect properly?
I spoke to the team and they told me that we should be good as they have been doing this already. As I want to make sure that everything works for you do you have any "handy", if so please send them along here and ill get the team to test their scripts on the links to make sure we are all good?

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I spoke to the team and they told me that we should be good as they have been doing this already. As I want to make sure that everything works for you do you have any "handy", if so please send them along here and ill get the team to test their scripts on the links to make sure we are all good?
The AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Review Database thread I linked to up thread has both a table at the top and hundreds of thread ID links below it. If they can "test migrate" that thread successfully, that would be very helpful.

EDIT: I tried a thread ID link here and it doesn't appear to support them at all.

·
Registered
VerticalScope
102 Posts
The AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Review Database thread I linked to up thread has both a table at the top and hundreds of thread ID links below it. If they can "test migrate" that thread successfully, that would be very helpful.

EDIT: I tried a thread ID link here and it doesn't appear to support them at all.

Out of the box, copy and paste will not work, we need to have a step in between to do a conversion from "old" to new.

I have passed the link on to the team and they are going to make sure that the pages work correctly in when the move it over.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are being looked at for an upcoming release. Off the top of my head, I am unsure where they are coming from but we have people who can find out.
My guess would be content tagging imported & maxed out whatever the current settings are in admincp - options - content tagging.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The wording of the errors seems to coincide with those tag settings.

"You may only apply X tags to content" = Max contents tags per user setting.
"This content may only have X tags total" = Max content tags setting.

Perhaps uncheck "enable content tagging" or set them both to a higher value (or unlimited), then try to edit the post?

Reactions: AG Jeff

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
The wording of the errors seems to coincide with those tag settings.

"You may only apply X tags to content" = Max contents tags per user setting.
"This content may only have X tags total" = Max content tags setting.

Perhaps uncheck "enable content tagging" or set them both to a higher value (or unlimited), then try to edit the post?
They were my very first thoughts and what I had offered up, but we cannot see the old tags, I don't have the ability to make changes like that, I tried all options given me over a long conversation but none worked, that was why it was given a 'ticket'.

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Did you get that thread tagging issue resolved @Ross Wittig ?

And getting back to the topic...everything but tables is importing flawlessly?

Old polls, media, infractions, thread bans, posts originally made with advanced editing (color, size, strike-through, etc), user IP address history, likes, subscriptions, attachments, censor list...

Are all usergroups being copied over 1:1 including custom usergroups?

Are moderator assignments copied or completely wiped?

If a user had 2FA enabled is that wiped?

Something tells me it's not just tables. :unsure:

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
Did you get that thread tagging issue resolved @Ross Wittig ?

And getting back to the topic...everything but tables is importing flawlessly?

Old polls, media, infractions, thread bans, posts originally made with advanced editing (color, size, strike-through, etc), user IP address history, likes, subscriptions, attachments, censor list...

Something tells me it's not just tables. :unsure:
The "edit tagging" bug fix is still in the works for Patrol as it affects a few others sites so far.

Answers to the other questions:

- polls, media, bans, attachments, subscriptions, censor lists, likes, PM's, and premigration formatting will be grandfathered over.

- I do not believe infraction will migrate as it is a new system that we are still working on setting up.

The main user groups are however we do not user user groups in the same way on XF as we did on vb.
We will be keeping the following, however, I know AVS will probably have some custom ones we will have to address once you are on the schedule:

Text Blue Font Line Screenshot

- They are and Mod/Smod/Admin accounts are retained.

- They will have to re white list

Jeff M

·
Administrator
AVS Forum
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do not believe infraction will migrate as it is a new system that we are still working on setting up
The last time I migrated sites from vB to XF all the prior warnings & infractions for all users copied over fine. Or are you talking about warning actions like X infractions = 3 day suspension?

We definitely don't want to remove every infraction every user ever received. :oops:

·
Administrator
OneFora Sherpa
3,559 Posts
The last time I migrated sites from vB to XF all the prior warnings & infractions for all users copied over fine. Or are you talking about warning actions like X infractions = 3 day suspension?

We definitely don't want to remove every infraction every user ever received. :oops:
I will verify this one with the migration team in the am to confirm what cuts over.

Jeff M

·
Patrol4x4 Admin
Patrol4x4 Forum
1,359 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts